X-Pipe or H-Pipe... Loudness?

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
So I watched a couple YouTube videos and I’ll end up searching more...
I had a previous exhaust thread and after some discussion had my heart set on the MBRP Race exhaust just because it sounds amazingly loud for my liking and taste. Roush is maybe a close 2nd. However the MBRP fit my budget compared to a lot of the other systems.

So I was thinking of making the purchase and then thought well what if I just do and X Pipe or H pipe what’s the difference in sound is one deeper or louder than the other?

figured I’d ask before i purchase because going this route could say me quite a bit of money over the MBRP race system.

I also DO NOT have Active Exhaust.
Thanks I value your input.
H pipes give a more traditional sound while the x pipe gives a more modern race sound a bit more raspy. I personally like the H pipe sound. You can buy either here at @LethalPerformance! https://www.lethalperformance.com/s...mustang-gt-coyote/exhaust/resonator-deletes-1
Sponsored

Huck FInn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 2nd Engine
H pipes will give you a deeper tone more to classic V8's where as X pipes are a bit more raspy on the high end more of a race car sound.
I currently have a res. delete and h pipe and it sounds good, just a tad louder then stock and nice tone, but even at high rpms in sport plus mode it can get quite high pitched. I'm upgrading to Borla Ataks myself, but I do have active.
As far as loudness x is more loud then h, but if you go with the race system it will be wayyyy more loud.
If you get a chance I'd suggest going for a ride with someone who has an ATAK. I just got a 2020 GT350 and didn't like the stock sound, especially compared to my 2012 GT with the Ford Racing axle-back sport exhaust system. I don't see much difference between the sport and normal sound with the ATAK, with the 'normal' volume almost the same as sport. And, I'm not excited about the sound quality. I've only 150 miles on the car since the switch so I'll give it a few hundred more, but I'm not sure the ATAK will stay on the car at this point. If Ford had a cat-back exhaust system available for the 2020 I would have bought it but Ford Performance people told me nothing was released for the 2020 yet, thus I bought the Borla.

Scuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
MBRP catback 3" (h-pipe), added 18" glasspack resonators after the H- Love the tone! Perfect dB level for me, too.
Used both H and X pipes (2.5") on my 08 GT- made up my mind then that if I'm not going to drag race every car at every light, tone means more than .05% performance so its H pipe tone for me. X pipe rasp just doesn't sound good imo.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Rule of thumb as stated before H-PIPE will give your car that classic Muscle Car Rumble and much DEEPER TONE. Whereas the X-PIPE will give your car the Ragged RASPY Sound. Myself I prefer the H-PIPE Sound but then I'm Old School.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I went with the "H" pipe also. CJ Pony Parts has a nice high quality piece. They say it also adds a bit of low end torque when compared to the "X" which seems to have more high rpm advantages.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
The Roush tips are what made me not continue my initial experiment which was to first mount the Steeda h-pipe and drive for a week and then to mount the Steeda Axle-backs and drive for a week, and then mount the Roush Axle-backs and drive for a week to get a comparison. I was all set to get the Roush and happened upon a car with the Roush tips and the look made me say nope, no need to go any further. I'm sure I would have like the sound though. So Steeda is what I kept on.

I hate the way the Roush looks but to be honest when I ask anyone else they don't notice or care but it does bother me a little. It's like the minimal difference between x and h. Once you get next to a old cammed camaro or classic muscle car your H (as will the x of course) is going to sound like fran dresser. It comes down to your personal preference. Get what looks good and what sounds good to you.

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
MBRP catback 3" (h-pipe), added 18" glasspack resonators after the H- Love the tone! Perfect dB level for me, too.
Used both H and X pipes (2.5") on my 08 GT- made up my mind then that if I'm not going to drag race every car at every light, tone means more than .05% performance so its H pipe tone for me. X pipe rasp just doesn't sound good imo.
I just ordered the MBRP race system. It goes on tomorrow... I’ll let you know how I like it

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I just ordered the MBRP race system. It goes on tomorrow... I’ll let you know how I like it
As said before there will be some drone but hopefully the volume and tone outside of that will be what you are looking for.

Tylerdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So I watched a couple YouTube videos and I’ll end up searching more...
I had a previous exhaust thread and after some discussion had my heart set on the MBRP Race exhaust just because it sounds amazingly loud for my liking and taste. Roush is maybe a close 2nd. However the MBRP fit my budget compared to a lot of the other systems.

So I was thinking of making the purchase and then thought well what if I just do and X Pipe or H pipe what’s the difference in sound is one deeper or louder than the other?

figured I’d ask before i purchase because going this route could say me quite a bit of money over the MBRP race system.

I also DO NOT have Active Exhaust.
Thanks I value your input.

I added the Ford Performance X-Pipe with my stock mufflers and it sounds great! On cold starts it does get a little loud but my neighbors bedroom is on the other side of their house. LOL.!

Sponsored

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
I got a 15 GT.

H-pipe. deeper tone. Sounds good, I like it. More Muscle car sounding.
x-pipe with long tubes. Sounds like your mustang eats lit cigarettes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Raspy, exotic, eargasam when ripping through the gears.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
The other thing to consider is how are your neighbors? With the race system and no active exhaust they will hear it. lol
How is your car on quiet start with the H pipe thinking about getting one but don't want to piss off neighbors off

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
How is your car on quiet start with the H pipe thinking about getting one but don't want to piss off neighbors off
I actually just put on Borla Ataks this past weekend. lol
With an H pipe and starting in quiet mode your neighbors won't hear it. It starts like any other car. Defiantly quiet.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
I actually just put on Borla Ataks this past weekend. lol
With an H pipe and starting in quiet mode your neighbors won't hear it. It starts like any other car. Defiantly quiet.
Thanks
I want a good sound but also want to be able to use quiet mode lol

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
They're loud in different ways. X-pipe will sound more like what you'd expect out of a screaming racecar. H-pipe will sound more like what you'd expect out of a muscle car. Different sounds but they're both nice. I like the raspy x-pipe sound personally because when you open up on the throttle I think it's what the Coyote is supposed to sound like, but you can't go wrong either way.
Sponsored