Winter storage re: fuel stabilizer (?)

MADMAX11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang
Hoping someone could help... I'm about to store my 2020 Ford Mustang EcoBoost for the winter. During the winter it gets quite cold here, can go down to about -10C to -15C (14F to 5F) consistently and up. It will be stored in my car garage at home for about 4 months maybe a bit longer. I purchased STP Fuel Stabilizer + Water Remover. It says ideal for 2 or 4 cycle gasoline engines. Should I be using this product for my Mustang? Can it harm the engine especially the turbo engine?

Any assistance would be really appreciated thank you.

MM
Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I personally use Sta-Bil but I’m sure what you bought is similar. Best to go to gas station, dump the correct amount in for the tank capacity (15 gallons?) and then fill the tank and take it home to storage. That mixes it up and runs some through the system.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Hoping someone could help... I'm about to store my 2020 Ford Mustang EcoBoost for the winter. During the winter it gets quite cold here, can go down to about -10C to -15C (14F to 5F) consistently and up. It will be stored in my car garage at home for about 4 months maybe a bit longer. I purchased STP Fuel Stabilizer + Water Remover. It says ideal for 2 or 4 cycle gasoline engines. Should I be using this product for my Mustang? Can it harm the engine especially the turbo engine?

Any assistance would be really appreciated thank you.

MM
It'll be fine, won't hurt anything. Overall the entire stablizer thing is overrated, for 4 months just fill the the tank with fresh gas and you'll be fine. I've been starting cars that had not been ran 6 months and had quarter tank. They were fine.

04mazdaspeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
I dont add anything to my cars that sit over winter. Granted my garage is climate controlled but alas, I have never had any issues. Sta-bil wont hurt though if it makes you sleep better.

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
I agree with Cory. Mine gets stored for 5-6 months a year and all I do is fill the tank and cover it with a tender on it, fires right up in spring, with zero issues with fuel.

SVTchris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
1993 SVT Mustang Cobra, 2004 SVT F-150 Lightning, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
It depends on what type of and storage conditions. Pure, 100% gas starts degrading at about 6 months. E10, 10% ethanol gas starts degrading at 3 months with both types fighting oxidation, water and evaporation.

Storing a car in an unheated space will accelerate water absorption due to condensation. The more evaporation of the gas, the worse oxidation gets causing the formation of solids in the gas.

Bottom line is, does adding Sta-bil to your tank have any down sides? No, it doesn't, it's perfectly safe for your engine as a gasoline preservative. Does not treating your gas have any downside? Maybe, depending on storage conditions, length of storage and type of gas.

Do a quick internet search about the type of gas available in your area and determine what is best for your situation. For me, I have to deal with E10 storing it for about 4 to 5 months so I treat it for peace of mind and if something happens where I don't or can't drive it first thing in the spring, I know I will be covered.

Last edited:

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
SVTChris is right on the money with his timeline. While you may be able to get away with a longer period, the one time you don't and your tank, pump, lines and injectors are gummed up, you'll wish you played it extra safe.

Schnder95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Roush S/N 22-0001 TP
No need to add anything, just fill with premium gas. Start it once a month, run till up to temp. Been storing cars for winter for over a decade. Not even close to any issues. Gumming up problems only happen if you have a carburetor. Newer cars do not have issues unless your using less than quality gas. Stick with reputable gas stations not the hole in the wall on the corner gas stations. There no such thing as a mechanic in a bottle. Any honest mechanic will tell you that.

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Do not add any tipe of concotion for a period so short. If this can assure you somehow, on their maintenance procedure Mercedes-Benz just asks to change the oil if the car is stored for more than 12 months, along with greasing and other similarities.
They will mandate fresh tank of gas only after really long periods, I can't remember how long, but more than a year.

Ford in their owner manual asks to start the car every two weeks at accelerated idle until it's good and warm. Cycle through the gears if you have an automatic.
What I will do is, if there are a few good and sunny days with no salt on the road is to go and make at least 30-40 Km to have all properly lubricated once every month.
If there will be no such days, she will remain peacefully hybernated like Snow White.

What will really help to maintain your car in good shape during hybernation is:
  1. Fresh full tank of gas
  2. Thorough wash and dry
  3. Clean the interior well
  4. New engine oil and filter a few weeks before
  5. New cabin filter a few weeks before
  6. Overinflate the tires a bit before

Schnder95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Roush S/N 22-0001 TP
Do not add any tipe of concotion for a period so short. If this can assure you somehow, on their maintenance procedure Mercedes-Benz just asks to change the oil if the car is stored for more than 12 months, along with greasing and other similarities.
They will mandate fresh tank of gas only after really long periods, I can't remember how long, but more than a year.

Ford in their owner manual asks to start the car every two weeks at accelerated idle until it's good and warm. Cycle through the gears if you have an automatic.
What I will do is, if there are a few good and sunny days with no salt on the road is to go and make at least 30-40 Km to have all properly lubricated once every month.
If there will be no such days, she will remain peacefully hybernated like Snow White.

What will really help to maintain your car in good shape during hybernation is:
  1. Fresh full tank of gas
  2. Thorough wash and dry
  3. Clean the interior well
  4. New engine oil and filter a few weeks before
  5. New cabin filter a few weeks before
  6. Overinflate the tires a bit before
Well said sir.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
you ll be fine. if it helps anyone else, another idea is to fill up with 91 ethanol FREE blend that is sold (Stewards). Ethanol free retains less moisture > Then add stable or not.

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
I store mine in an unheated attached garage so ambient can get down to about freezing point. However, since snow melts off our other vehicle when it comes into the garage, there can be standing water in the garage from time to time. For that reason, I added some stabilizer to a full tank of 91 octane when at the gas station to get it through Nov 1 - Mar 31 period....along with a battery tender. I may start it once or twice during that period but I doubt it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Mustang fuel systems are sealed from the atmosphere, so absorbing moisture or evaporation is slim to none.
Sponsored