Windshield Tint worth it???

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
I did 5% nano ceramic all the way around and 40% (iirc) windshield. The windshield tint (at least from my installer) is slightly different than the rest. Its dark from outside and almost no notable difference looking out. It cuts the heat massively
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Skye has 30% tint sides and back (legal in CO), 70% full windshield (illegal in CO).

Incoming daylight is one aspect to consider, but heat wise, blocking UV rays is key.

Modern ceramics block UV rays while not interfering with any electronics, car or cell.

During the day, I hardly notice any of it is there.

At night, IMO, while darker, things are not so dark they hinder visibility.

I'm glad I got it. The searing effect I used to feel when driving towards the Sun is gone.

Most installers will point out what's legal and what is not, but almost all will install whatever you ask for.

Many modern cars have 80% all-around from the factory.

If curious about visibility, ask the detailer to install a junk piece somewhere (on the car or a shop window) so you can see through it.

If you're not already aware, there's a visual effect when looking at cars and their tints. Viewing from outside, using the exact same tint, a car with a white/lighter interior will show what's perceived as a lighter tint than the one with the dark interior.
1. Spot on post. Safety 1st, looks 2nd.
2. God, I love your car.
3. 3rd person? When did you become @thePill? :crackup: :cwl: :like:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately I don't think they are more liberal in Michigan with tint..
Michigan has no minimum for sides and back. Georgia is 35%. You stand a much better chance of getting a tint ticket in GA than you do in MI. Gotta watch those good ole boys. :giggle::like:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Personally I would never do the entire windshield. It's a huge safety factor, especially at night. I don't even like anything below 35% on sides/rear. I like to make eye contact and want others to make eye contact with me at dangerous intersections etc.

Down South 70% on the windshield would be probably acceptable, and still have some functionality.
Cory, 70% ceramic down here is 100% OK. No issues at night at all. And my age is the same as my tint.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I went with the legal NC limit of 32, using ceramic tint and clear on the windshield. This was the best option IMO. The ceramic keeps the car cooler, I also have no blurry spots.

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Oh to be 19 and stupid again. No disrespect intended as I was a stupid 19 year old myself (51 years ago). There are two reasons for tint. Looks and solar protection. For the latter the percentage doesn't matter. For the former, well it's up to you how much risk you're willing to take. Georgia State troopers can be a pain in the ass (ask me how i know). Do you really want to give them a reason to ticket you? From an old mans point of view, be smart and stay within the law. Your pocketbook will thank you.

By the way if have dark tint on your windshield and you get into an accident at night you will be royally screwed. When the insurance company finds the tint they will refuse all claims.
Dark window tint does not change PCF in a collision and it cannot be used to deny a payout on an insurance claim.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Dark window tint does not change PCF in a collision and it cannot be used to deny a payout on an insurance claim.
Sorry I should have said depending on where you live. I have a friend in NJ that got screwed after an accident because of super dark tint in his car.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I think it'd be fairly easy for them to put blame on you not seeing a car because of your tint being completely illegal - nothing below the A1S line. Just like they could put you partially at fault for being rear ended if you tint your tail lights.

That said, I've got 20% non-ceramic on the sides/rear and 40% ceramic on the windshield and have had no issues and will probably be doing similar or even darker in the future, but fully ceramic.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Sorry I should have said depending on where you live. I have a friend in NJ that got screwed after an accident because of super dark tint in his car.
Fair enough, I have no experience in NJ. However, insurance companies are (frequently) nationwide and their policies don’t change from one state to another. The only way you could have window tint be used against you to my knowledge is saying it caused you to not see which lead to an unsafe turning movement (for example) but the movement is what caused the collision, not the tint. Meaning, even with zero tint the same move would have ended in the same result.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I think it'd be fairly easy for them to put blame on you not seeing a car because of your tint being completely illegal - nothing below the A1S line. Just like they could put you partially at fault for being rear ended if you tint your tail lights.

That said, I've got 20% non-ceramic on the sides/rear and 40% ceramic on the windshield and have had no issues and will probably be doing similar or even darker in the future, but fully ceramic.
Not seeing another car is not a collision factor with accidents, it’s usually something like an unsafe turning movement. Doesn’t matter if you see the car or not, the movement is the cause not the tint. If you turn left in front of someone you didn’t see it’s your fault, tint or not. If you change lanes into someone you didn’t see, it’s your fault tint or not.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Fair enough, I have no experience in NJ. However, insurance companies are (frequently) nationwide and their policies don’t change from one state to another. The only way you could have window tint be used against you to my knowledge is saying it caused you to not see which lead to an unsafe turning movement (for example) but the movement is what caused the collision, not the tint. Meaning, even with zero tint the same move would have ended in the same result.
I hear you, but regardless of the insurance company they will still look for any reason to refuse a claim. Breaking a law certainly qualifies.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I hear you, but regardless of the insurance company they will still look for any reason to refuse a claim. Breaking a law certainly qualifies.
I’ve investigated hundreds of traffic collisions, I have a fairly good grasp on how they work. Again, I have zero experience in NJ, but it typically doesn’t change from state to state.

If you break the law and speed, your insurance claim isn’t denied. If you break the law and do an illegal U Turn, you claim isn’t denied. If you break the law and tint your windshield, your claim isn’t denied.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Insurance company policies absolutely change from state to state, each state has their own insurance laws. And they can absolutely refuse your claim if they believe, based on the police report, that your tint hindered your ability to see properly and was a part of the cause for an accident. That will depend on state tint laws as well but to say they can’t deny claim is plain wrong.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Insurance company policies absolutely change from state to state, each state has their own insurance laws. And they can absolutely refuse your claim if they believe, based on the police report, that your tint hindered your ability to see properly and was a part of the cause for an accident. That will depend on state tint laws as well but to say they can’t deny claim is plain wrong.
Breaking a law is almost always the cause in a collision. It does not cause claims to be denied. I have five years of experience with traffic collisions. Believe me. Don’t believe me. I’m not going to argue with someone who has not investigated a single traffic collision. Have a nice day, sorry I tried to inform on how the process works.
Sponsored