Sponsored

Will probably switch back to BMW. (No, not a troll!)

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Free cookies??! Accord, here I come!!!!
Even though the guy was talking about BMWs, the new Accord is Europe-inspired and actually looks pretty good. Downside is only 1 engine choice now.

Along with free cookies at Honda, you get the satisfaction of knowing your engine will last a very long time. Can't say the same about Ford's reputation, ya Ford Exploder(not engine related, but still). ;)
Sponsored

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Even though the guy was talking about BMWs, the new Accord is Europe-inspired and actually looks pretty good. Downside is only 1 engine choice now.

Along with free cookies at Honda, you get the satisfaction of knowing your engine will last a very long time. Can't say the same about Ford's reputation, ya Ford Exploder(not engine related, but still). ;)
They still have 2 engine options for the Accord, a 1.5l turbo and a 2.0l turbo. The 2.0t is no slouch, but since it's an Accord, the handling is loose, the steering is numb, and the car isn't engaging at all. The inside is top notch and would be great for a daily driver. Hell, you can still get the Accord in a stick if you want.

Dealing with an evaporator core leak has me looking elsewhere, but I just can't find what I'm struggling to find a car I will thoroughly enjoy.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

What? Fords modular, duratec and coyote engines have long been held in high regard for their longevity. Have you not seen how many miles were put on police and cabs with the 4.6 engines?

Honda on the flip-side requires a damn $1200 timing belt/waterpump/tensioner change every 110k miles on many of their engines...as well as pulling the valve covers off and checking the valve lash.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Hondas are good cars. I used to have an Element. :)
Loved that box.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
They still have 2 engine options for the Accord, a 1.5l turbo and a 2.0l turbo. The 2.0t is no slouch, but since it's an Accord, the handling is loose, the steering is numb, and the car isn't engaging at all. The inside is top notch and would be great for a daily driver. Hell, you can still get the Accord in a stick if you want.

Dealing with an evaporator core leak has me looking elsewhere, but I just can't find what I'm struggling to find a car I will thoroughly enjoy.
I stand corrected. They got rid of the v6 "powerhouse" engine.

What? Fords modular, duratec and coyote engines have long been held in high regard for their longevity. Have you not seen how many miles were put on police and cabs with the 4.6 engines?

Honda on the flip-side requires a damn $1200 timing belt/waterpump/tensioner change every 110k miles on many of their engines...as well as pulling the valve covers off and checking the valve lash.

The difference is, even neglected Japanese cars can last a very long time. Old Honda's pretty much never die, kind of like the 4.0 High Output inline 6, or the 350(or 4.3). I routinely hear Acura and Honda cars in the 300k, 400k, and 500k mile range. Same with VW diesels. Japanese cars just have a reputation that precedes them. Not to mention lowest cost of ownership.

A timing belt is never "required" on a non-interference engine. Just saying.

Sponsored

div2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M235i
Wait for 2018 PP2 vs 2018 1SS 1LE (assuming performance trumps looks)

My shortlist:
M2 performance version with factory KW suspension is very impressive
2018 PP2
2018 GT350R
2018 1SS 1LE
2017 ZL1 1LE (currently 12-16k discount bitchslaps GT350R pricing)
2018 Grand Sport
2018 Z07
SL-C road course build
Before I bought my CPO M235i in January 2016 I also considered a Camaro SS 1LE, a Challenger SRT8, a 2013 Boss 302, a 2016 Mustang GT Premium PP, a Lotus Elise, a 370Z NISMO, a Cayman S, and a WRX STI. However, when all was said and done the 2er's combination of compact size, ample acceleration, decent handling, RWD, exceptional fuel economy, and a usable rear seat won out.
It also doesn't hurt that my local BMW dealer's service department doesn't try to gouge me every time I walk in the door and also doesn't give me any hassle over tracking the car.
Will my next car be a BMW? We'll see; the M2 Competition is very tempting...

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
This is the first and most likely the last Mustang I will ever buy.
There are so many other great cars out in the world. I want to experience them all.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I stand corrected. They got rid of the v6 "powerhouse" engine.

The difference is, even neglected Japanese cars can last a very long time. Old Honda's pretty much never die, kind of like the 4.0 High Output inline 6, or the 350(or 4.3). I routinely hear Acura and Honda cars in the 300k, 400k, and 500k mile range. Same with VW diesels. Japanese cars just have a reputation that precedes them. Not to mention lowest cost of ownership.

A timing belt is never "required" on a non-interference engine. Just saying.
All Honda engines are interference....and those lasting 300k+ miles have had their regular 110k maintenance done. It’s a fallacy that Hondas don’t need their timing belts replaced….they absolutely do. The tensioners themselves also have a tendency to wear out before the belt which spells disaster.

Think about it. There are two major areas that (when they fail) spell doom for all engines….the timing belt/chains and the water pump. With Honda, you have to replace both every 110k miles. That’s $3k+ in maintenance or the price of a replacement engine for a 300k+ mile vehicle.

With that said, Ford duratecs routinely last over 300k miles as did the modular 4.6l….all without having to change a timing belt.

Everyone including Hyaundi has switched over to timing chains. Toyota has been running chains for years. Honda seems to be the last Holdout, switching most of their 4cyl engines but not their 6cyl.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Grandson owns a 2003 Honda that never goes wrong in any way, and never has since we bought it as a new car that year.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Honda's aren't great cars. They just are no longer leaps and bounds better in engine reliability than nearly any other car today and (some) require more expensive maintenance.

I see nearly as many 200k+ mile used Focus for sale around here as I do Honda and Toyota.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Price out a loaded 2018 Convertible GT PP and then price out a loaded 2018 M240i Convertible. The BMW is only about $2k more.

The BMW is less powerful ... but is lighter, smaller, better built, has greater resale, and ... is a BMW. The Mustang is a Ford. (A Mustang, yes, but still a Ford.)
My only thoughts;

You're not comparing similar cars. They're very different, very.

Second, the BMW is.....a BMW. BMW aren't anything special for the price, you're just paying for the badge.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Honda's aren't great cars. They just are no longer leaps and bounds better in engine reliability than nearly any other car today and (some) require more expensive maintenance.

I see nearly as many 200k+ mile used Focus for sale around here as I do Honda and Toyota.
Modern cars should all last 200k+ miles stock. And I wasn't just saying Honda's were the only ones to last. I was saying Japanese cars in general last a long time(Honda, Mazda, etc). Pretty much everything has a lower cost of ownership compared to European cars.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
I know BMWs are supposed to handle great but I went to my Z4 from a Miata it was like night and day, the Z4 was way worse handling. When I test drove a mustang eb it seemed comprable to me, just a hint more body roll.
I will say that in the 5 years I've owned the Z4 (from 34k to 92k miles) I've had relatively few issues. Although it has been in the shop for 2 weeks now lol.
Have you considered a EB 'vert and plan to add the ford performance pack later? The amount of features you can get in a convertible for under 40k is amazing I think.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Modern cars should all last 200k+ miles stock. And I wasn't just saying Honda's were the only ones to last. I was saying Japanese cars in general last a long time(Honda, Mazda, etc). Pretty much everything has a lower cost of ownership compared to European cars.
Fair enough. :thumbsup:
Sponsored