Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had a buddy in high school with a ~1974 Caprice with the 454. I think that car was a muscle car.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
I was wondering about "Capri". The Impala was a full size car. Muscle cars were 2 door midsize coupes. The Chevelle was the Chevrolet muscle car.
Yeah, I think that works. Nova has to be in there too, though.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I had a buddy in high school with a ~1974 Caprice with the 454. I think that car was a muscle car.
My Dad bought a 1966 Caprice. He told me it had a V8. When he brought it home I saw this and thought, YES!!!!!

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 12.20.56 PM.png

Yeah, I think that works. Nova has to be in there too, though.
A big block Nova was a terror on the street and the strip but as a compact car did not meet the definition of Muscle Car.

Sponsored

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
A big block Nova was a terror on the street and the strip but as a compact car did not meet the definition of Muscle Car.
Man, I have seen 68-74 Novas win an awfull lot of muscle car trophies at shows. Maybe it is different in the south.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Man, I have seen 68-74 Novas win an awfull lot of muscle car trophies at shows. Maybe it is different in the south.
Honestly, I do not know about the South since I grew up in Queens, NY. I had a 66' Fairlane GTA Police interceptor FE 390 and C6.

The definition of muscle car is subjective and frequently debated. Muscle cars often have many of the following characteristics:[
  • A large V8 engine in the most powerful configuration offered for a particular model
  • Rear-wheel drive
  • Being manufactured in the United States in the 1960s or early 1970s (the specific year range of 1964–1973 is sometimes used)
  • A relatively lightweight two-door body (opinions vary as to whether high-performance full-size cars, compacts, and pony cars qualify as muscle cars, as it is sometimes claimed that only intermediate cars can be considered muscle cars)
  • An affordable price
  • Being designed for straight-line drag racing, while remaining street legal.
High-power pony cars are sometimes considered muscle cars, however personal luxury cars are often too expensive to be considered muscle cars.[2] Sports cars and sports sedans are not usually considered muscle cars, since they are generally associated with circuit racing rather than drag racing. Muscle cars are an extension of the hot rodding philosophy of taking a small car and putting a large-displacement engine in it, for the purpose of increased straight-line speed.

It's all in how you interpret the explanation. As a child of the 60's this is my definition.

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
Now, don't do that.

Let's share our own cars not to own.

I'll start; 1980 Renault Alliance.
71 Vega (my wife bought it - really)

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting that you glazed over the '86 and '87 Grand National and GNX.
The grand nationals were definately muscular, 85 mustang gt also.

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
Wow, I read through most of the thread before clicking on the link. I am just old enough that in the 70s and 80s you couldn't have given me one of those cars (as others have mentioned the 442 is actually a 1972 with a W30 paint scheme though the description below it is for a 1976). But now everyone of those cars have a cool, odd wow factor and are hardly seen.

The definition of muscle car has evolved. I do consider the newer Impala SS and Marauder muscle cars even though they are 4 door vehicles, along with the new Charger and 300. How about a CTS-V? I had a 70 Buick Wildcat with a 455 (last year they made them, only year they came with a 455) I loved that car, same with my 70 W30s. As cool as they are they don't come close to the performance of my Mustang or any new sports/muscle/pony car. Times change, definitions change and tastes change. I hated those cannondale GM's when I was younger. Their performance hasn't changed any but the older I get the cooler they get. When's the last time you saw a mint 77 442 or Grand Am, they are rare (yeah, I know, they are for a reason) but time has softened my perception. In the end still like the late 60's and ealry 70's and the newer cars.

I remember when the Buick GN came out, everyone I knew laughed at it cause it came with a "crappy" GM V6 that would blow up, if we all bought a couple of those and put them in our garage we'd be happy today. Not my favorite but I do like them and respect their performance. I'm an Olds nut and the Hurts and 442s from that era were great looking cars but couldn't get out of their own way. And those Lightning Rod shifters UGH, now a used set of those go for over $1,200 easily.

Sponsored

BiancoV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1969 Torino GT
Honestly, I do not know about the South since I grew up in Queens, NY. I had a 66' Fairlane GTA Police interceptor FE 390 and C6.

The definition of muscle car is subjective and frequently debated. Muscle cars often have many of the following characteristics:[
  • A large V8 engine in the most powerful configuration offered for a particular model
  • Rear-wheel drive
  • Being manufactured in the United States in the 1960s or early 1970s (the specific year range of 1964–1973 is sometimes used)
  • A relatively lightweight two-door body (opinions vary as to whether high-performance full-size cars, compacts, and pony cars qualify as muscle cars, as it is sometimes claimed that only intermediate cars can be considered muscle cars)
  • An affordable price
  • Being designed for straight-line drag racing, while remaining street legal.
High-power pony cars are sometimes considered muscle cars, however personal luxury cars are often too expensive to be considered muscle cars.[2] Sports cars and sports sedans are not usually considered muscle cars, since they are generally associated with circuit racing rather than drag racing. Muscle cars are an extension of the hot rodding philosophy of taking a small car and putting a large-displacement engine in it, for the purpose of increased straight-line speed.

It's all in how you interpret the explanation. As a child of the 60's this is my definition.

Do you have any pictures of the fairlane? The 66 and 67 are one of the most under appreciated Fords. Such beautiful cars.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Do you have any pictures of the fairlane? The 66 and 67 are one of the most under appreciated Fords. Such beautiful cars.
Yes, they are! I’m digging though boxes of old photos trying to find some. In the meantime this is exactly what my car looked like. Color is Ivy green which was the predecessor of Highland green.

7F369EAF-E7D7-4987-957C-265E802C5AC1.jpeg

BiancoV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1969 Torino GT
Yes, they are! I’m digging though boxes of old photos trying to find some. In the meantime this is exactly what my car looked like. Color is Ivy green which was the predecessor of Highland green.

7F369EAF-E7D7-4987-957C-265E802C5AC1.jpeg
That color suits the car...And thanks for taking your time and searching for the pictures. I know a person can always just Google the image of one but seeing a picture from a member of the community here means much more.
Sponsored