Will probably switch back to BMW. (No, not a troll!)

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by dB Stang, Sep 6, 2017.

1. dB Stang

dB Stang Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT Premium PP Convertible, Magnetic/Red Line
    0   0   0
    #1 dB Stang, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    So we drove BMWs from 2005 to 2011, first a 330is with their Performance Package and then a 2008 M3. When the Coyote came out, we test drove, and were so impressed we switched to Mustangs. At that time a similarly optioned and powered Mustang was $20k less than an M3. We've been Mustang enthusiasts ever since, and have custom ordered three. (And we've owned four, the first was not a custom.)

Presently own a 2015 Fastback GT PP and a 2016 Convertible GT PP. Love them, but...

Price out a loaded 2018 Convertible GT PP and then price out a loaded 2018 M240i Convertible. The BMW is only about $2k more.

The BMW is less powerful ... but is lighter, smaller, better built, has greater resale, and ... is a BMW. The Mustang is a Ford. (A Mustang, yes, but still a Ford.)

Anyone have thoughts on this. (Other than to suggest that I'm a troll, which I'm not, or to say something derogatory about San Francisco?)

2. Gurjit

Gurjit Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT Premium performance pack
    0   0   0
    you wont get the same feeling of a musclecar
    no V8 rumble
    no cheap aftermarket mod stuff
    you will feel the repair costs if you keep it past warranty compared to the Ford

does the bmw have more or less options than the 2018 Ford?

SpeedLu, A7X, Tuxedomouse and 3 others like this.
  3. sbrenskell

sbrenskell Waiting for OF

First Name:
    Stacie
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I agree with [MENTION=24202]Gurjit[/MENTION] you won't get the v8 rumble. But I will admit if you put the right exhaust they can sound sick. I heard a 2018 m4 with a titanium exhaust and that was a beast. I will probably get one in 3-5 years. Depends on how much I love the 'stang. This will be my first V8 mustang. So we'll see.

A7X likes this.
  4. bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt Oh boy

First Name:
    BigD
    Vehicle(s):
    Boosted 2015 GT Premium.
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Bingo. Get what you want. Just don't justify your next purchase on a Mustang forum. I doubt you'll find many people giving you a high five or sharing your opinion.

SpeedLu, Leshik, JRedondox and 7 others like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    dB Stang

First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Those are pretty good points. I was looking for those.

I know there is an inherent advantage to a naturally-aspirated 5.0 V8 vs. a teched turbo 6 that plays "engine sound" through its speakers.

And it's true, I would never keep a German car out of warranty. (But the warranty is longer, and includes service.)

One thing I've been thinking about is that the 14-year-old boy in me (I'm 44) still likes roaring up to a stoplight and hearing an actual 14-year-old kid say to his friends, "Dude, did you hear that 5.0?!" Makes me smile every time.

And it's not like kids put a poster of an M240i on their walls, right? (?!)

I'm seriously tussling with this, thanks for any and all thoughtful comments.

hcappie likes this.
  6. sbrenskell

sbrenskell Waiting for OF

First Name:
    Stacie
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I wanted a bmw m4 (I'm 25) but my parents made a good point. I asked them what THEY can see me in. And their response was a V8 mustang. I see them around town (of course where I live is mostly beamers and Mercedes driven by old folks (70+). I was actually wanted a AMG C63S. But I looked around where I live and decided against it.

Get the car YOU will be happy with. And you'll look back at and smile and say "thats my car."88cf91490dffd66ef358824fdf1b02df.jpg
    This is a quote I live by. Buy a car that you'll do this.

Witj85, urkmywrld, CincyS550 and 3 others like this.
  7. mustang1

mustang1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Sure seems like a lot of cars for San Francisco.

8. Static_LV

Static_LV Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
    0   0   0
    I think that the question really comes down to what you want to do with the car.
    If its a daily driver grab whichever makes you happy. If you have other plans for it, that can sway the decision one way or the other.

Personally, I plan on eventually making my Mustang a dedicated track car once it's out of warranty. The difference between making a Mustang a track car and a BMW M4 a track car is a significant price delta and the cost of operations and maintenance made this a no brainer when i was shopping.

9. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Race Red manual Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Problem with the 2 series apart from M2, is that looks like a box on wheels, engine sounds terrible, the badge and the 240i will always be seen as the car bought by someone who could not afford an M2.

Zimm and Wriggly like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    dB Stang

First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Well, if you're interested, it went:

2005 BMW 330is PP
    2008 BMW M3 (traded the above)
    2011 Mustang GT Convertible with Brembo's (realized we needed two cars)
    2012 Mustang GT Coupe with Brembo's and rare Lava paint (traded the M3)
    2015 Mustang GT Fastback PP (traded the 2012)
    2016 Mustang GT Convertible PP (traded the 2011)

So we've never had more than two cars at once. (But true, that has not always been easy in SF, at least we have a garage and a driveway.)

11. 2morrow

2morrow DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR

First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle(s):
    '16 Mustang GTPP
    0   0   0
    I have a friend with a BMW 2 series with all the M goodies on it. It's a very cool little car. I keep on talking to him about coming out to the
    track with me. Odd thing is that he's constantly talking to me about my car. It's like he's got some type of thing for it. From a design
    perspective BMW knocked it out of the park with the 2 series. I would definitely be interested in a raced out M2.

At any rate, do what makes you happy. It might even be an easier car to own living in the city. Lord knows finding a spot there that I can
    fit in is a PITA...

On a separate note, before I bought my mustang I was looking at a beautiful 2016 BMW M3 (yes 4 door) in Alpine White. It was gorgeous
    but with the 7 speed DCT and all the options it was a $70K car :eyebulge:. That was the end of that.

Charlie Brown likes this.
  12. mustang1

mustang1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Why do you want to trade your car? Both are still new.

13. OP
    OP
    dB Stang

First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Oh, I probably won't for quite a while. I was just looking at where the Mustang seems to be going in its pricing and looking at comparisons. (We're all always looking for the next and better, right?! Well, at least those of us who are buying newer Mustangs.)

I've had the 2016 for less than two years, I couldn't bear to take so big a hit to trade it in the immediate future.

14. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Black GT Premium 6 Speed
    0   0   0
    All the housewifes around here drive BMW's. If that's how you won't to roll, enjoy.

SpeedLu likes this.
  15. Must_Tang

Must_Tang Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
    0   0   0
    I'm always amazed at the practical side of this gen Mustang. You can actually carry stuff in these cars as the trunk is pretty big. I can fit a 6 foot step ladder in the back with the seat folded down.

And for track days, everything fits in the trunk with room to spare. Not sure if that is a consideration for you, but you won't get that in a 2 series.

16. bootlegger

bootlegger Enginerd

First Name:
    James
    Vehicle(s):
    Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
    0   0   0
    My mom has an M240i Vert. fun car, but nowhere near the performance level of a GT performance pack. Also, the 240s feel like a cheaper built BMW. Not sure why.

17. millhouse

millhouse Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Ruby Red GT PP
    0   0   0
    Around me, BMW's drop in price like a rock once they are off warranty. Having owned a BMW off warranty, I fully understand why.

18. MustangDaily

MustangDaily Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT, Auto
    0   0   0
    Just to reinforce what Gurjit said about the repair costs after the warranty, My previous BMW X5 35i (N55) was about to end its warranty and during the time of ownership, the warranty paid approximately $15,000 in repairs.

I've owned two BMWs in the past and I have to say, I got more compliments in the Mustang than I had with my 3 series and X5. Will I consider buying another BMW in the future, perhaps but not for sporty reasons.

But hey if you want a BMW go for it, they're still great cars overall :)

19. PrimetimeKenny_S550

PrimetimeKenny_S550 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kenny
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
    0   0   0
    Loll on more resale value as opposed to a GT mustang. People with the ability to type in an internet search will grimace at the thought of purchasing any BMW outside of 60k miles or warranty. I'm putting an old 302 in a Z3, no not a troll, but it's hard to beat a V8 that ''you'' can work on .

20. PrimetimeKenny_S550

PrimetimeKenny_S550 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kenny
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
    0   0   0
    The year is 2017, and Kia can make a decent car. Believe it or not, BMW's brand equity is not what it used to be, and the used market will mainly be made of people that want to have a sense of false class consciousness, rather than the performance merits of the car.

In other news, most drivers of this forum are proud that the Mustang is made by Ford because it's the most American brand, helped in fast forwarding the interstates of this country, beat Ferrari in Lemans from 65-69, and provided wartime production for two world wars. Last time I checked, German engineering was on the loosing end of two world wars :)

:ford:

SpeedLu, CGADAMS, whtbt1.88 and 2 others like this.