Sponsored

Will probably switch back to BMW. (No, not a troll!)

ALMS21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tundra 1794 Crewmax
I've owned many BMW's including an E46M3, two E9X 335, two E92 M3's, an E60M5 and most recently an F82M4. I had the dreaded high pressure fuel pump issues with the 335's but really not much more in terms of issues with them. The M4, while quite fast, was absolutely the worst sounding car I ever owned. BMW's have been watered down, the M badge has been whore'd out like no other; the styling has gone down hill; but mostly to me.....other brands have just caught up and make things very comparable for less money and are more dependable. I'd NEVER own a BMW out of warranty. The 2 series does absolutely nothing for me in terms of stirring the soul. I have also owned a C6 Z06 and a number of 911's. Guess what car I am 99% sure I am picking up this summer?.....a Shelby GT350 or a GT PP. Why? they are what BMW M's used to be. The Shelby GT350 is so much more of a BMW M car than any current M car from BMW.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jaggy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2018 GT in Kona Blue
My car history is 2 Audi’s, a Porsche, 2 BMWs. I have an 18 GT on order. The German value proposition is low right now and blind badge loyalty is just foolish.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I've owned many BMW's including an E46M3, two E9X 335, two E92 M3's, an E60M5 and most recently an F82M4. I had the dreaded high pressure fuel pump issues with the 335's but really not much more in terms of issues with them. The M4, while quite fast, was absolutely the worst sounding car I ever owned. BMW's have been watered down, the M badge has been whore'd out like no other; the styling has gone down hill; but mostly to me.....other brands have just caught up and make things very comparable for less money and are more dependable. I'd NEVER own a BMW out of warranty. The 2 series does absolutely nothing for me in terms of stirring the soul. I have also owned a C6 Z06 and a number of 911's. Guess what car I am 99% sure I am picking up this summer?.....a Shelby GT350 or a GT PP. Why? they are what BMW M's used to be. The Shelby GT350 is so much more of a BMW M car than any current M car from BMW.
328i ZSP MT E90 I sold was on its second engine, thermostat, evaporator core, third electric waterpump.

Why I bought Mustang? I got one as rental (while still having e90) - don't know whether that was eb or v6 - and was absolutely blown away - that rental car was everything I wanted BMW to be and more.

BMW had Ultimate Driving Machine on its window sticker, but that was the last thing it actually was based on my ownership experience. I tried to love it, but was very disappointed at the end. Yes, it was very refined car, will not argue. Refined to the point of being boring.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
[QUOTE="ALMS21, post: 2100206, member: 12904"...other brands have just caught up and make things very comparable for less money and are more dependable.[/QUOTE]

This... The Mazda 6 pops into mind as an excellent 3 Series alternative.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My buddy has an M240i with a Dinan tune. Quick little sucker. I'd hate to have to fix it when the warranty's up.

Sponsored

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
Test drove a used 2013 M3 before I bought my 2015 Mustang GT. Just didn't feel the same. It was fast, refined, smooth... just, didn't feel as exciting and raw as the Mustang if that makes sense.

To each their own, but I'd definitely suggest driving both before deciding instead of just comparing prices.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
The m240xi was one of the cars I test drove before 100% committing to stay with a Mustang. Performance-wise they aren’t that far off. However, the 401a Premium Mustang definitely has a better interior than the m240i. I swear, Ford gets ragged on every time they use plastic in a spot, but every German brand seems to get a free pass when they stick it in their budget-ier models as well as poorer quality leather.
Fully loaded vs fully loaded, you’re getting more with the Mustang btw - cooled seats, active exhaust, adjustable dampers (magneride), a fully digital dash, android auto, and a few other things I’m forgetting that the BMW doesn’t have. If you were to spec it down where the Mustang and BMW were the same in terms of features, the savings are a good bit larger with the Mustang.
Honestly, after test driving the m240, while I liked it a lot, it wasn’t even near my top-3 alternatives to the Mustang. The Genesis G70, Audi S4/S5, and Jaguar XE (v6) were all better cars, IMO, and not priced *that* much higher.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I looked at BMW new it seemed like the price was too high for what you would get (M2 or M4). My GT350 at the time was way better IMO and less expensive.

I looked at a used M3 (I think it was E92 - it had a high RPM V8) relatively inexpensive, great interior, but it was broken with the engine in limp mode. And there are horror stories about how much it costs to fix them. I think that's why they are cheap used. Too expensive to fix.

I like the idea of a BMW, but IMO they are too expensive and fragile. I'd probably buy a Porsche over a BMW because I think Porsche is more reliable. However, Porsches are too expensive as well. I feel I've had good luck with Ford ownership.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Anybody else take a Lexus over a BMW?

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anybody else take a Lexus over a BMW?
The RC-F is pretty terrible minus the interior, IMO. Something about it just didn’t feel “good” when I test drove it. Meanwhile, the IS350 F-Sport I drove was awesome except for the power being lacking: If Lexus made a new IS-F and just threw a twin-turbo on that V6 it would be a monster (or stuck their V8 back in it). The LC500 has an epic look to it and perhaps the best interior I have ever been in, but the performance kills it for that price-point.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Having driven an M240i over here I do really wonder if it is too powerful ! It really isn't a very big car and 335bhp makes it a bit of a liability in the wet or greasy conditions with all that turbo torque.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having driven an M240i over here I do really wonder if it is too powerful ! It really isn't a very big car and 335bhp makes it a bit of a liability in the wet or greasy conditions with all that turbo torque.
That’s why you buy the AWD version :handsinair: