White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
OK Boys and Girls here is a DIY project for less than $5.00
Your original Oil Pan Plug, A $.50 Magnet, (1) Tie strap, and some JB Weld Quick. Drill a small hole in the tab on the Plug, install the tie strap ( Adjust to your finger size), Epoxy the magnet into the hole in the end of the plug. Presto a Magnetic, Removeable Oil Pan Plug. Why in Hell spend $50.00 for something you can do yourself?
upload_2019-2-27_13-2-29.png
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
No freakin' way would I trust a rigged magnetic drain plug to keep my engine safe. I'm pretty certain such a thing poses more potential harm to my motor, than any perceived benefit.

If you're worried about spending $50, a Mustang might not be the right vehicle for you.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
No freakin' way would I trust a rigged magnetic drain plug to keep my engine safe. I'm pretty certain such a thing poses more potential harm to my motor, than any perceived benefit.

If you're worried about spending $50, a Mustang might not be the right vehicle for you.
I would have to agree with you. Guy spends 40k dollars on a vehicle and is worried about $50 for a magnetic drain plug. I understand people wanting to work on their vehicle, but don't hack something together ON A BRAND NEW VEHICLE...
It would be different if you crafted another drain plug from a CNC lathe or something similar.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I would have to agree with you. Guy spends 40k dollars on a vehicle and is worried about $50 for a magnetic drain plug. I understand people wanting to work on their vehicle, but don't hack something together ON A BRAND NEW VEHICLE...
It would be different if you crafted another drain plug from a CNC lathe or something similar.
What if it came apart? What if it hurt the sealing integrity of the plug itself?

I understand wanting to craft and fab something, but that's a rather critical part.

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
The other nice thing about the $50 one is that it doesn't have a tendency to break like the stock plastic one.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
To be fair to the guy, JB Weld is going to hold, particularly if you scuff up the magnet first. I would use a brand new plastic plug to make sure there was no oil residue preventing a bond. There is no load on the magnet, just vibration and heat. I'm not going to do it, but JB Weld is good stuff and is probably going to hold very well. Regular drain plugs are $10. My experience with JB Weld is it can get brittle over time, so you should probably just use a new plug every 20K or so.
I would ask what the purpose is? To pick up metal shavings, or so you can see them when you drain the oil? If you just want to see what's there send it in for oil analysis, cut open a filter, or run the oil over a magnet as you drain it.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Stick the magnet to the side of the oil filter and swap it to the new filter when you change it.
The filter catches any metal anyways. I guess the idea for the magnetic plug is to catch any metal shavings before the oil heads to the filter, so you know if there is an issue.

Is that correct?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Stick the magnet to the side of the oil filter and swap it to the new filter when you change it.
This.

I've stuck magnets to the side of filters for decades. Beats trying to clean the thin, slimy swarf off the end of a magnetic drain plug like those on some motorcycles, and be sure you get it all....

OP
OP
Sig556

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
OK Boys and Girls here is a DIY project for less than $5.00
Your original Oil Pan Plug, A $.50 Magnet, (1) Tie strap, and some JB Weld Quick. Drill a small hole in the tab on the Plug, install the tie strap ( Adjust to your finger size), Epoxy the magnet into the hole in the end of the plug. Presto a Magnetic, Removeable Oil Pan Plug. Why in Hell spend $50.00 for something you can do yourself?
upload_2019-2-27_13-2-29.png
For the record that is a Brand New Drain Plug and yes I scuffed it before JB Welding. I have been drilling out the old steel ones and epoxy magnets for years. I still have two or three in my parts drawer. These were from the 70's never failed or broke. The UPR is the same exact drain plug just up graded with metal ears. I have also been putting speaker magnets on the bottom of oil filters for years. In any event it was a dull Wednesday and that's what I did.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I enjoy my Femco valve and clean\easy oil changes.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
The filter catches any metal anyways. I guess the idea for the magnetic plug is to catch any metal shavings before the oil heads to the filter, so you know if there is an issue.

Is that correct?
To be honest, I do not use a magnet for engine oil since the filter will pick up any and all metal. Also, magnet will only pick up ferrous particles.

I have used magnetic drain plugs in transmissions and differentials since the do not have a filter and over time can have ferrous particles in the oil.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I enjoy my Femco valve and clean\easy oil changes.
Quick drain plugs are awesome. I have had a Fumoto on the F250 for 15 years now.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I think the claim that if you can’t spend $50 you shouldn’t buy a $40K car is fallible. Near 50% of Americans are financing their cars and is rising ( the interest average ranging from 5-10%). I doubt mustang owners are any different than the norm. I’d argue that that spending $40K to be in debt is more stupid than saving $50. And based on OPs past experience, what he’s doing is safe. Like the wise saying, “$5 is $5.” Lol

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
Does anyone make a quick drain/Femco for the 2018 GT?
Sponsored