Sponsored

Why I am putting 10W40 in my Coyote Gen3

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
10W-XX, Not in a modern DOHC VVT bearingless cam engine.
Puhlease look at the chart at 40f on 10w vs 5w. If you live in Alaska in the dead of winter then sure the 5w is relevant. Quit being fooled by marketing pretending to be engineering

Motorcycle engines spin to 2x rpm than sad car engines and have used hivo, plain bearing, dohc, vvt for decades. 10w since the dawn of time. You car people are pathetically late to the game of actual performance.

Gen3 coyote doesn't even attain the hp/cc my 1999 sv650 can put out. In fact it's only as good as my warmed over late 70s tech air cooled honda dohc cb750.

Piston aircraft at altitude have a 25-30c or more difference between ground air temp. So depending on where the hivo is located sure a different oil may be needed. Not to mention Conti/Lycoming engines commonly spec at least 50 or 80w or thicker for operation.

Last edited:

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Puhlease look at the chart at 40f on 10w vs 5w. If you live in Alaska in the dead of winter then sure the 5w is relevant. Quit being fooled by marketing pretending to be engineering

Motorcycle engines spin to 2x rpm than sad car engines and have used hivo, plain bearing, dohc, vvt for decades. 10w since the dawn of time. You car people are pathetically late to the game of actual performance.
Sorry man, your reference to cycle engine max rpm isn’t the point when focusing on the (W) weight for cold engine/oil start up. Your next fail is the cycle engine distance from sump pickup to DOHC’s is significantly less distance than the Coyote. Cold oil being pumped over a greater distance takes more time. There’s only one way to increase the speed at which oil travels in a cold motor at startup.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry man, your reference to cycle engine max rpm isn’t the point when focusing on the (W) weight for cold engine/oil start up. Your next fail is the cycle engine distance from sump to the DOHC’s is a significantly less distance than the Coyote. Cold oil being pushed a longer distance takes more time. There’s only one way to increase the speed at which oil travels in a cold motor at startup.
Apparently you also didn't pay attention I said warm weather for 10w. At freezing temps 5w can be justified. But 10w is just fine as well in mild cold say -10C

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Apparently you also didn't pay attention I said warm weather for 10w. At freezing temps 5w can be justified. But 10w is just fine as well in mild cold say -10C
I seen that and nothing missed.
You’re having issues grasping cold oil pumpability and distance traveled measured in time and the size difference of your small engine wet clutched motorbike vs. a full size high output DOHC V8.

Your wet clutched bike 10W oil is just that, (JASO MA) small engine oil designed for a wet clutch oil system, 0W & 5W doesn’t play nice with wet clutch friction plates. Should I bring up the oil spec’ed for CVT DOHC SxS’s ? 5W & 0W turbo or non, doesn’t matter. Do you think Polaris, Cam Am/Rotax, Arctic Cat/Suzuki are worried about EPA Cafe MPG figures in the UTV industry.

I think this is a good place where I cut bait.

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you're going to chicken out, mix in 5w40 Pennzoil euro or Mobil 1 racing.

• Haha
Reactions: GTP

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Hot climate with road course racing, is the only time when an oil with a viscosity of higher than 5W-30/40 should be used. These Coyotes have very tight main/rod clearances and were designed around a 5W-20/5W-30 viscosity.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
These Coyotes have very tight main/rod clearances and were designed around a 5W-20/5W-30 viscosity.
So curious what you think of the Gen 1 Coyote, which was designed for 5w20 viscosity as the other gens, but cars equipped with the track pack called for 5w50.

How did Ford manage to have the same engine that can run both? Surely if it was that bad to run 5w50 on a tight clearance engine they would specifically say that 5w50 is only to be used only during a track event, and then be switched out immediately back to 5w20 when that is over.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So curious what you think of the Gen 1 Coyote, which was designed for 5w20 viscosity as the other gens but those cars equipped with track packs call for 5w50. How did Ford manage to have the same engine that can run both? Surely if it was that bad to run 5w50 on a tight clearance engine they would specifically say that 5w50 is only to be used only during a track event, and then be switched out immediately back to 5w20 when that is over.
Never said it was "BAD" to run a 5W-50. You have to remember, Ford HAS to assume these cars might be pushed into extreme extended oil temperatures and sustained load/RPM during road racing in Arizona in August (NOT street racing/drag racing) where oil temps can easily get up over 270°+ AND still offer a warranty as well. However, there are MANY that still use their Coyotes in these conditions on a good name brand 5W-30 with no known recorded failures due to NOT using a 5/10W-50 oil as well.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Never said it was "BAD" to run a 5W-50. You have to remember, Ford HAS to assume these cars might be pushed into extreme extended oil temperatures and sustained load/RPM during road racing in Arizona in August (NOT street racing/drag racing) where oil temps can easily get up over 270°+ AND still offer a warranty as well. However, there are MANY that still use their Coyotes in these conditions on a good name brand 5W-30 with no known recorded failures due to NOT using a 5/10W-50 oil as well.
True, so if it's not "bad" then there's just about no downsides (besides a little bit of fuel economy loss) to running 5w50 all the time. Sure there are many people that run 5w30 on track (myself included) that have never had any issues related to oil viscosity, but if running 5w50 is possible and not bad to the overall health and longevity of the engine, then it probably makes sense to have that little bit of added protection over 5w30 even if it's not really needed. More buffer, more overhead is never a bad thing.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So curious what you think of the Gen 1 Coyote, which was designed for 5w20 viscosity as the other gens, but cars equipped with the track pack called for 5w50.
exactly. bearing clearance-smearance. The spec is 0.025 - 0.050"mm. The coyote is not remotely tight clearance unless your frame of reference is the hand-hewed crap from the 60's or the pieces of shit Ford made in the 80s and identified them as "engines". The Civic type R has 1/3rd the clearance. You Detroit worshipers seem to not understand your technology and precision SUCKS ASS and is a flaming JOKE! If a Japanese designed an engine with such giant slop in it like Americans', there'd be a trail of disembroiled bodies all along the highway. American car technology is the laughing stock of the world and always has been.

The 1970's CB750 had max clearance less than the Coyote min. And it's minimum was 1/3 of the Coyote and the spec oil is 10w. "Designed for 5w" - my god man, do you get paid to shill for Ford? Your ignorance of engineering norms is astounding.

10cSt@100 is the goal for operating temp oil.

The cSt delta at STP is 10. at freezing it's 200 which is notable but hardly worth concern. Nobody is advocating for putting in straight 20 weight in the crankcase.

standard-conversion.jpg

Last edited:

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Ow40 is what i use in the winter.
5w50 is what i use in the summer.
I might do only 5w50.
Mine is track only.
5w50 is reccomended by ford performance.

I also use MOTORKOTE for friction reduce and protection
Sponsored