Sponsored

Why I am putting 10W40 in my Coyote Gen3

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
and low weight base oils with wide nominal weight spreads must be working good since F1 allegedly uses 0w-70.
which is rather odd given they have to pre-heat the oil AND the engine before they can spin it over since at 'room temperature' it's mechanically seized at rest.
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I think we will see more of the 0w40/0w50 stuff becoming more common with performance cars, if the EPA doesn't try to strangle it anymore. Traditionally, engine oil with a very low base oil weight (0-5 weight) with a wide spread between its cold and warm nominal viscosity values were typically unstable. But I am assuming they have figured out how to cover that issue with it being more prevalent and seeming to work great.
If I remember correctly it was Ford in the mid 1980’s that started the 5W-20 oil spec. when Ford revised the 302 Windsor and went low friction to pick up horsepower. At that time EPA and CAFE standards wasn’t on Fords radar using 5W-20, low friction and increased Horsepower was on the radar.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
they have to pre-heat the oil AND the engine before they can spin it over since at 'room temperature' it's mechanically seized at rest.
I'll bet it is fun assembling one.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
which is rather odd given they have to pre-heat the oil AND the engine before they can spin it over since at 'room temperature' it's mechanically seized at rest.
I'm not surprised. Even 0 weight oil is a bit thick when cold to reliably spin tight tolerance engines at the RPM that F1 cars idle at. It varies to some degree but it's around 5000 rpm. Gotta ask yourself if you'd feel comfortable starting your mustang and instantly revving it to 5000 rpm and holding it there. I wouldn't.
Sponsored