Sponsored

Why did you get a manual

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Granted I only buy manuals when I can and my EB was a manual obviously. But I test drove several A10 EB and honestly the power delivery of the EB is "better" when mated to the Auto. Reflash the ECU and the M6 config improves significantly.

I think dealers assume only degenerates buy M6 anymore so inbound inventory keeps being heavily slanted toward A10. But they keep getting surprised by M6 takeup. That said it seems to be regional. Some places can't move M6 and discount them considerably more than A10 and some dealers apparently can't move A10 at all and their inventory and inbound mix is almost all manual.
Sponsored

sfs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Granted I only buy manuals when I can and my EB was a manual obviously. But I test drove several A10 EB and honestly the power delivery of the EB is "better" when mated to the Auto. Reflash the ECU and the M6 config improves significantly.

I think dealers assume only degenerates buy M6 anymore so inbound inventory keeps being heavily slanted toward A10. But they keep getting surprised by M6 takeup. That said it seems to be regional. Some places can't move M6 and discount them considerably more than A10 and some dealers apparently can't move A10 at all and their inventory and inbound mix is almost all manual.
I have driven manuals since 1959. But the main real reason is that I am cheap and refuse
to pay for a transmission that should be a no cost item with a new car.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'd be entirely willing to pay a premium in order to get a manual transmission if that's what it took to be able to get a MT at all. I've known this for several years now.

It's a personal preference that would be worth it to me to spend extra for, just like the PP2 is for some or different packages are for others.

Norm

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Because the first three letters spell MAN, that's why I drive a manual.

In all seriousness, it's about the driving experience for me. There's always going to be someone faster.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I have driven manuals since 1959. But the main real reason is that I am cheap and refuse
to pay for a transmission that should be a no cost item with a new car.
That I don't get - the auto is a much more complicated and expensive piece of hardware. Also newer tech that recently cost a boatload to develop. The manual transmission is pretty simple in comparison. Makes sense to me it costs more.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
It makes me feel a lot cooler when a passenger gets in or someone’s admiring my baby boost

always get an excited nice it’s a manual type comment

first thing everyone ask, is it a manual?
I know it’s dumb but it’s still cool to me to get the appreciation even though they drive autos

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
Hey Guys

I want to get a GT and can't decide if I should get a manual. I have never driven a manual car but getting a GT without a manual seems be just wrong, just wrong I say. Sad thing is that the wife can drive stick, I guess I could let her teach me, oh the embarrassment.

I'm guessing with 400 pounds of torque it can be that hard to learn.
Although it doesn't apply in your case - the manual keeps the wife in her 4Runner.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Im actually gonna be selling or trading in my Manual Audi soon because I miss verts and wanna get the Mustang I should of had.

My Rams an Auto, Full AFE exhaust, CAI, TB, Sway bars+End Links, and besides not sounding as aggressive as a Coyote, you're piloting the Truck vs being in control of a manual 'stang.

Besides that, like how the Stick is, reminds me of my Audi between engagement and shifts, and after I show off to my friend with the V6 stang, might further change his new car trajectory

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
For me a manual trans , when driven with excellence and experience can separate drivers capabilities, IE heel a toe,while trail braking. speed shifting at your selection of rpm’s. Your abilities showcased in your control and not a computer. Needing your attention of both hands and feet that not all can do well. A seasoned manual transmission track driver can drive both an automatic and manual transmission fast but an automatic transmission driver only cannot drive a manual transmission fast or well.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Oops I forgot to remark about how I could get my hand on the knee of my date after shifting into fourth with one smooth move . It works 😂

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Millennials are 24-39 years old. Plenty of people in their 30s can drive a manual. Lol
My sister (who never saw a "How to drive video) and my friend (who saw one once) are actually good for latent potential, former winding up driving 12 miles before giving up and the latter slightly ahead of her but a bit too impatient.

Once I get a Stang, gonna do the break in period and wait for spring before I teach them again.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Millennials are 24-39 years old. Plenty of people in their 30s can drive a manual. Lol
It's not that millenials (and those even younger) can't drive a MT car. I think fewer of them do because nearly all of their exposure to driving has been of the 'slap it in 'D' and go' kind. Kids notice stuff like that even if it doesn't completely register.

At least two of our three grandkids who are driving now can drive a MT (the fourth isn't old enough to drive yet). The oldest is 23, and she's been driving MT for more than 6 years already. So does her younger half-brother, who now drives the Mazda 626 she once owned (that we bought new in 1995). So there's a glimmer of hope . . .

Us older folks - at least generally - have to accept our share of the blame for that happening. Perhaps if we (collectively) hadn't been quite as ready to give up three-pedal driving as we approached middle-age, more of our kids and their kids would be driving MT as well.

Norm
Sponsored