Sponsored

Whipple vs Hellion

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I am about 5 months in on my "Whipple wait", but have been looking at Hellion turbo kits a lot lately. I found a lightly used top mount kit for ballpark of what I paid for the Whipple. I'm looking for some really good reasons why I shouldn't bail out on the Whipple and go with the Hellion.
Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I love turbos, but I am a little concerned about the top mount kit. It's a lot of heat by the radiator and other plastic parts. The sleeper kit basically goes where the catalytic convertor were. That area was designed for heat. I have the sleeper kit on my car and I love it. I may be biased. Lb for lb you will make more power with the turbo kits. Installation though is more complicated. I did mine on jack-stands in my garage by myself, so it can be done.

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I am about 5 months in on my "Whipple wait", but have been looking at Hellion turbo kits a lot lately. I found a lightly used top mount kit for ballpark of what I paid for the Whipple. I'm looking for some really good reasons why I shouldn't bail out on the Whipple and go with the Hellion.
SO - I am at 28 weeks - 7 months plus by the time the Gen V may make it to my car. And I can tell you judging strictly from an end result of a correctly installed, buttoned up and tuned turbo package - there is no comparison. I would do a turbo package 10/10 times - every time. I am actually not a fan of blowers - at all. They are inefficient, you have to change pulley's for different boost levels (switching in between pump and ethanol tunes specifically) - and they heat soak on the best of days. Turbo kits are superior in every way. Waiting 7 months for Whipple has made this even harder due to how I feel about blowers.

So why did I go with Whipple and remain committed to a Whipple setup? Simplicity. No cutting, simple bolt on, existing, sorted tunes (from Lund in my case) and solid results. That is it. I know the Hellion kits have been around for a while - and they are proven. I think it is fair to say I have had more than a few builds in my time, and no matter how well a Hellion has performed or gotten to a stage where it is a smooth install - the blower setup will always be easier. To maintain as well.

If you go Hellion - make sure you have an established Builder with proven results using that package. Experience is worth the extra money as you will likely spend it twice - anything you think you are "saving" without a Shop that has that proven experience.

Good luck!

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Vtknight said it well. Turbo will be more efficient and make more power all day long. But for everyday ease-to-live with I would rate stock the highest, followed by a pd blower, and turbos a distant last place.

There’s another issue with the tuning because the entire coyote pcm strategy can’t possibly work well with variable throttle body inlet pressure. The only way I could imagine it working at all is if you dumb the computer and make it function in a more rudimentary fashion.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
SO - I am at 28 weeks - 7 months plus by the time the Gen V may make it to my car. And I can tell you judging strictly from an end result of a correctly installed, buttoned up and tuned turbo package - there is no comparison. I would do a turbo package 10/10 times - every time. I am actually not a fan of blowers - at all. They are inefficient, you have to change pulley's for different boost levels (switching in between pump and ethanol tunes specifically) - and they heat soak on the best of days. Turbo kits are superior in every way. Waiting 7 months for Whipple has made this even harder due to how I feel about blowers.

So why did I go with Whipple and remain committed to a Whipple setup? Simplicity. No cutting, simple bolt on, existing, sorted tunes (from Lund in my case) and solid results. That is it. I know the Hellion kits have been around for a while - and they are proven. I think it is fair to say I have had more than a few builds in my time, and no matter how well a Hellion has performed or gotten to a stage where it is a smooth install - the blower setup will always be easier. To maintain as well.

If you go Hellion - make sure you have an established Builder with proven results using that package. Experience is worth the extra money as you will likely spend it twice - anything you think you are "saving" without a Shop that has that proven experience.

Good luck!
Anyone with a set of decent tools and some time can install any of the forced induction setups. I've never done a Whipple install but I have done Coyote Paxton and Hellion setups. Plus fuel systems, oil pump gears, etc. None of it is rocket science. A shop/builder is not needed. If you buy a cheap on 3 turbo setup you may have a lot of maintenance and issues with things not fitting, I have not found that to be the case with my Hellion sleeper setup.

Last edited:

Sponsored

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Anyone with a set of decent tools and some time can install any of the forced induction setups. I've never done a Whipple install but I have done Coyote Paxton and Hellion setups. Plus fuel systems, oil pump gears, etc. None of it is rocket science. A shop/builder is not needed. If you buy a cheap on 3 turbo setup you may have a lot of maintenance and issues with things not fitting, I have not found that to be the case with my Hellion sleeper setup.
Lol.. Nothing is rocket science if you know how to do it. My understanding for the sleeper kit - which is a solid kit - is that via Hellion - it takes an experienced Shop 12-16 hours. There is also some minor trimming required and lots of extras if you start building into a more powerful build (like manifolds). To keep my point simple, this setup is not as simple as a Whipple setup. Turbo packages have come a long way and Hellion is one of the leaders. They produce some nice solid, repeatable results.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Lol.. Nothing is rocket science if you know how to do it. My understanding for the sleeper kit - which is a solid kit - is that via Hellion - it takes an experienced Shop 12-16 hours. There is also some minor trimming required and lots of extras if you start building into a more powerful build (like manifolds). To keep my point simple, this setup is not as simple as a Whipple setup. Turbo packages have come a long way and Hellion is one of the leaders. They produce some nice solid, repeatable results.
I installed mine 1 year ago and I don't recall trimming anything.

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I installed mine 1 year ago and I don't recall trimming anything.
They state there is no cutting, but later admitted, based on the setup you want to do (the setup can make 1800 HP) that there is some "minor trimming" needed. That is still a long way from what Turbo packages required. In the end - my point is simply the Whipple setup is easier - to install and to keep up over time. I am a huge turbo fan it is safe to say lol.

OP
OP

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Thank you all for the feedback. I think the tuning aspect was going to be a deal breaker for me. I would like to do some of the tuning on the car myself and I am way out of my league tuning a turbo car. In addition, Whipple just settled it for me. Got tracking numbers today.

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
TURBO all day everyday. Get rid of the belt!!! As far as Hellion I do not have the kit any more was a sleeper kit. I did not like the oiling setup. And the collection tank was to low to the ground. (they have revised the kit that replaces that collection tank) besides that kit performed really well. All of Hellions staff are very helpful and great on warranty!!
Sponsored