Sponsored

Whipple plus long tubes = ?

The_Mad_Patcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Has anyone put their car on a dyno with a S/C and stock manifolds and cats and then added catted long tubes and retested on a dyno to show improvement? I just want to see the gain vs. the expense. Thank to all who may have experience.
Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Yes and the gains aren’t that big of a difference. Certainly not in a cost to hp gain ratio. Definitely healthier for exhaust discharge though.

BadGTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Auto, 1400HP GTR
Not sure how the gains could not be a big difference. On my car putting long tubes on was worth 40hp before I did the blower.

S550AC11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
17 PP GT
I'm not sure about gains with a whipple but NA I'm at 427 SAE on 91 with ARH 1 3/4 headers and 3" exhaust with an AED Tune. Stock is around 370ish? It's definitely louder, I have Corsa Sport (quiet cruise, scream WOT). It has much improved throttle response and makes a lot more mid range torque (410 at 4200). I'm going boost soon, so we'll see how it turns out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

The_Mad_Patcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for the input so far. I would still love to see the before and after dyno sheets.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Funny thing about screw and roots blowers is that the air flow through the engine is set by the supercharger inlet air conditions, blower speed, and blower geometry. Adding headers has its advantages (less pumping losses, lower cylinder temps and more ignition timing), but the airflow will be baskcally unchanged.

I wouldn’t be surprised if an na motor gained more than a supercharged motor when adding headers.

DTeal23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium GT
Not sure how the gains could not be a big difference. On my car putting long tubes on was worth 40hp before I did the blower.
40 with a tune? Or just straight up 40?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I'm not sure about gains with a whipple but NA I'm at 427 SAE on 91 with ARH 1 3/4 headers and 3" exhaust with an AED Tune. Stock is around 370ish? It's definitely louder, I have Corsa Sport (quiet cruise, scream WOT). It has much improved throttle response and makes a lot more mid range torque (410 at 4200). I'm going boost soon, so we'll see how it turns out.
NA for now (FI later this year hopefully) catted ARH 1 7/8 into Corsa Xtreme on AED ff tune most recent pull was 471. The LTH alone are good for 30-40. Though as was stated much louder so much in fact I ended up adding a pair of Vibrant 1794s to calm it down some.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
How much of the gains from going LTH are from removing the cats?
From what I have seen only a couple of hp difference between catted and off road LTH.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
If u dont consider 30 to 40 whp nice gains then get headers.Anytime u force more air into a motor u need to improve exhaust to help get that air out.Especially on a fi.car.Just measure the factory bottle neck and tell me what u think then.3in midpipes going into a 2in bottleneck right past the collector is not a good idea.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input so far. I would still love to see the before and after dyno sheets.
I know my 1st answer seemed flippant but this discussion has occurred many times here and to my knowledge the vendors and tuners all say not much difference.

Cats vs No Cats discussions are mostly about melting stock cats and causing damage. Then, no cat smell and loudness.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Please show me on hear where any vendor says adding lth and removing cats does not make much difference in hp on a fi car.I gained 16 whp by just putting cat deletes on my 15 pp na car.I guess it depends on what u call [not much hp].I dont know any vendors claiming that on a fi car.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Funny thing about screw and roots blowers is that the air flow through the engine is set by the supercharger inlet air conditions, blower speed, and blower geometry. Adding headers has its advantages (less pumping losses, lower cylinder temps and more ignition timing), but the airflow will be baskcally unchanged.

I wouldn’t be surprised if an na motor gained more than a supercharged motor when adding headers.
I’ll agree with that completely.
Changes in cam timing and less reliance on scavenging are also part of it.
There’s a mob here in Oz claiming that adding their full exhaust (1 7/8” LT with high flow cats and 3” twin system) to a Whipple equipped vehicle will only add 20 Hp at the crank.
These people are in the business of trying to sell exhaust systems. If the gains were larger, they’d be claiming more. Make no mistake.
Sponsored