Sponsored

Whipple gen 5 stage 2 2015 PP odd issue maybe?

mhollida

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Your opinions please
2015 PP manual trans bought last year low mile car 6000. Bought a Gen 5 whipple stage 2 kit late last summer installed myself and put on about 500 miles and love it. Runs great no stumbles or hesitation as I have read about on some threads (Researching) but I do have one odd issue, or maybe not?

First off idle is fine about 800 rpm steady. However when driving and lets say 40mph (Just example but could be any speed) and I push in clutch to coast the rpm will hunt around 1K to 2K randomly kind of up and down sometimes even exceeding 2k rpm etc. Once I come to full stop the idle will return to about 800 steady. Seems to hunt higher rpm the higher the mph so at 70 - - clutch that's when rpm maybe hunts over 2k randomly.

No codes, car runs great very pleased with the kit just seems odd.
Vacuum leak? MAF? other / maybe I messed something up on install
Annoyance more than anything else but want to make sure got it right.

Cheers
Sponsored

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I had a similar issue and was told it was normal. Never considered it again and have forgot about it until I saw this post.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
The MAF signal may be dirty due to irregular air movement in the intake track. Things that can affect this are changes in the design or function off the intake track from throttle body to air filter. After a dyno I forgot to put the airbox lid back on and had really strange issues happening when driving and de-clutching and at decelerations.

Also check
1. Clamps and coupling make sure they are seated and not leaking
2. Airbox lid should be on
3. Any change where air is being forced into the airbox like Big mouth intake to airbox
4. Change in filter design or any part of the intake itself

OP
OP
mhollida

mhollida

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Thanks for advise, going to check suggestions. Stock Whipple gen 5 kit intake box, filter etc.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Thanks for advise, going to check suggestions. Stock Whipple gen 5 kit intake box, filter etc.
Your welcome, and 2 other areas where air leaks can occur are the throttle body gasket O ring. This can leak if not installed right, and the bypass O ring if it's installed in the wrong location.

OP
OP
mhollida

mhollida

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Checked all out, no leaks on intake that I can find. I have OBD link MX that I used to look at MAF signal.
Idle MAF steady at .90 - 1.0
Drive to 50mph and clutch and coast MAF jumps around between about 1.0 and 4.0 totally random and the rpm hunts. Once full stopped settles in to .90 and idle is good.
As long as Im in gear all is fine no surges etc. and MAF signal is steady at whatever throttle amount I apply. So I am assuming it is Turbulance in air box with throttle closed and coasting at speed. Stock Whipple box and filter etc.
Runs great otherwise so chalking it up to Turbulance.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Have you changed the air filter by chance? I would open the box lid and try putting card board around the front of the filter where forced air could hit it. This is usual but to worth a shot.

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
132mm TB? I’ve “heard” that a Lund tune can fix it. Mine did the same with the Whipple and two other tune companies.

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My car would that, then got worse would throw codes and go into limp mode. The gasket on the TB sucks. I removed the gasket and put some silicone in-between instead. Problem solved.
Sponsored