Procharger Stage 2 issue......found..maybe

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Personally I'd suggest going with an ATI balancer so that the Procharger pulley securely bolts right to it rather than using cam locks.

With that much uneven movement on the crank I would consider replacing the crank bolt or at least verifying it is torqued properly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
whatsup62

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Personally I'd suggest going with an ATI balancer so that the Procharger pulley securely bolts right to it rather than using cam locks.

With that much uneven movement on the crank I would consider replacing the crank bolt or at least verifying it is torqued properly.
I am putting in new crank bolt and all other componants of the pulley..NEW.
I was considering the ATI balancer once...but im still on stock opg's and ts..:eyebulge:

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I am putting in new crank bolt and all other componants of the pulley..NEW.
I was considering the ATI balancer once...but im still on stock opg's and ts..:eyebulge:
Even if your on stock opg the upgraded balancer can still help. Personally I got it mostly just so I didn't have to use the cam locks, I don't trust those as much as three good bolts lol.

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
I think Whatsup is referring to is that some are starting to tie broken gears to having a mix of ATI/stock gears

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
How many miles on the procharger bolt? How has the new ARP one held up?
I had about 4k miles on the ProCharger bolt - I had about 20 half mile passes on it as well. I haven't taken the new crank bolt out since then and it's been another 5k miles and 80 half mile passes (car mostly lives to race these days). I also have the ATI balancer so the whole setup is now different. I'll have to snap a picture of the bolt - it was crazy.

Sponsored

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
Even if your on stock opg the upgraded balancer can still help. Personally I got it mostly just so I didn't have to use the cam locks, I don't trust those as much as three good bolts lol.
Yes. A lot of people do not understand that an after market ATI damper improves the life of the OPGs and TGs. Vibrations are what kill the gears. Every car I mod receives a quality damper.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Yes. A lot of people do not understand that an after market ATI damper improves the life of the OPGs and TGs. Vibrations are what kill the gears. Every car I mod receives a quality damper.
The only issue is that 90% of the crank issues I see have the ATI damper.
Not saying its the dampers fault...

If you look at images of all the broken/damaged cranks
They have something in common, all have aftermarket balancers.

Seems a LOT of them don't get installed correctly, (reasons like)
Wrong keyways used,
Not pressed on far enough,
Wrong bolt TQ used,
Pressed on, without using heat (cracks the hub)

If a person goes aftermarket balancer, they just need to make sure its installed EXACTLY how the directions say. (and yes, that means sometimes you will need to bust out a hone to get the bore correct, or a file to machine down the keyway)

Seems everyone just slaps them on, thinking they are good to go.
Then they blame the crankshaft when a failure happens.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
When installed correctly, they are actually stronger. ;)

Loads of daily driver/weekend warriors out there with 50,100,125+ k miles on those lot setups. Been using it for almost 10 years. :) Camaros, Corvettes, Trucks, etc...

My personal daily driver has 100,000k+ miles on its cam-lock crank pulley.
Its honestly the LAST thing I worry about. I am more worried about the starter going out someday lol. I mean it has to fail at sometime right? 240k miles lol

But nothing wrong with a properly installed ATI/Crank pulley combo either. :)

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
When installing the Stage II crank pulley and supplied bolt from Procharger, do you put the bolt in using a bit of motor oil, or use blue lock tite? I know it calls for 30ft lbs and 90 degrees on the 2018's, but want to be sure since I'm about to install the pulley. Thanks!

foff667

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT Procharged D1X
When installing the Stage II crank pulley and supplied bolt from Procharger, do you put the bolt in using a bit of motor oil, or use blue lock tite? I know it calls for 30ft lbs and 90 degrees on the 2018's, but want to be sure since I'm about to install the pulley. Thanks!

I used locktite, can't remember the color I think it was #272 though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
whatsup62

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well wanted to give an update to this. Took apart today and the original pulley was not only loose on the eccentrics but the crank bolt was as well. Took it all apart and installed all new pieces...including a new pulley. Put on a green belt tightened to spec, remounted the pro-flow valve to a better location and got it all back together before dinner..:)
Went and did some pulls and data logged a little bit ago...yeah she is fixed, and fast!
Seeing 13.5 psi at 7450 rpm. Thanks for all the replies and advice...great forum we have here....:cheers:

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
The only issue is that 90% of the crank issues I see have the ATI damper.
Not saying its the dampers fault...

If you look at images of all the broken/damaged cranks
They have something in common, all have aftermarket balancers.

Seems a LOT of them don't get installed correctly, (reasons like)
Wrong keyways used,
Not pressed on far enough,
Wrong bolt TQ used,
Pressed on, without using heat (cracks the hub)

If a person goes aftermarket balancer, they just need to make sure its installed EXACTLY how the directions say. (and yes, that means sometimes you will need to bust out a hone to get the bore correct, or a file to machine down the keyway)

Seems everyone just slaps them on, thinking they are good to go.
Then they blame the crankshaft when a failure happens.
One of the better posts I have seen in awhile. Thanks.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Well wanted to give an update to this. Took apart today and the original pulley was not only loose on the eccentrics but the crank bolt was as well. Took it all apart and installed all new pieces...including a new pulley. Put on a green belt tightened to spec, remounted the pro-flow valve to a better location and got it all back together before dinner..:)
Went and did some pulls and data logged a little bit ago...yeah she is fixed, and fast!
Seeing 13.5 psi at 7450 rpm. Thanks for all the replies and advice...great forum we have here....:cheers:
Hellz ya!:headbang:

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Post pics of the red valve in the new pipe when you can. Glad you got it going!

OP
OP
whatsup62

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Post pics of the red valve in the new pipe when you can. Glad you got it going!
It was 100 in the shade...im old and fat...not a good combo.
Didn't spend the time on new pipe and red valve, stock profolw on it.
When we get a cool spell might try installing the other stuff...otherwise sell it off.
Sponsored