Sponsored

Which GT for me?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 6M & 2011 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I agree with Matt based on the listed discount but I'm hoping they can do much better for you. Start with 10% off MSRP (no rebates). That would get you down around $38k. Much better.
They don’t want to budge on it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
They don’t want to budge on it.
Wow, well that's the market right now. If the extra dollars aren't going to hurt you then do it. The price you pay today is going to fade 6 months from now. But you will be loving your new car every day.

Sponsored

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So if I found a PP1 that I liked, premium or non-premium, and it didn’t have AE, do you think I would really miss out on not have the AE?

i’m at the point where I can find one or two PP1 one that have nearly everything I would want, but none of them have AE. Is it worth going with the non-PP1 just to get the AE? Aftermarket upgrade cost could definitely add up later on for the PP1 components.

Bedub76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bret
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
I like it. Price is a little high but if it isn't a compromise car for you then its well worth the extra couple of bucks.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
PP1 costs $5-6000. AE costs $1000. There are hundreds of exhaust videos and most solutions cost $600-$1200 and have good to nasty sound. Unless you live in a place where you're firing up the engine every day before 7am and incurring the wrath of your neighbors (I had a neighbor just like this), AE and it's movable valves can corrode and fail after a while.

If you want AE bad enough you can buy the Rousch kit though admittedly theirs is $$$.
https://www.roushperformance.com/2018-mustang-v8-active-exhaust-kit.html

What do you REALLY want the car to come with, so you don't have spend more money on updates? If you're going/expect to replace factory items then don't buy the factory offering.

Aftermarket upgrade cost could definitely add up later on for the PP1 components.
You can duplicate the PP1 components (except Torsen? and magneride) for HALF of what Ford charges. Retrofitting the Torsen is a little bit involved. But unless you're a track rat not likely worth the investment.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I didn't want leather but wanted the 301A package and a manual in the color I wanted, so it took a while to find one. I like the digital dash and active exhaust features but they're not something I had to have. AE would be nice to wake up a couple neighbors I hate, but there are other routes I can do for that.

Last edited:
OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP1 costs $5-6000. AE costs $1000. There are hundreds of exhaust videos and most solutions cost $600-$1200 and have good to nasty sound. Unless you live in a place where you're firing up the engine every day before 7am and incurring the wrath of your neighbors (I had a neighbor just like this), AE and it's movable valves can corrode and fail after a while.

If you want AE bad enough you can buy the Rousch kit though admittedly theirs is $$$.
https://www.roushperformance.com/2018-mustang-v8-active-exhaust-kit.html

What do you REALLY want the car to come with, so you don't have spend more money on updates? If you're going/expect to replace factory items then don't buy the factory offering.

You can duplicate the PP1 components (except Torsen? and magneride) for HALF of what Ford charges. Retrofitting the Torsen is a little bit involved. But unless you're a track rat not likely worth the investment.
Good points. I’d look to upgrade wheels and tires, some suspension, and probably brakes.

Sponsored

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I thought you needed to have the 12" digital instrument panel to get the active exhaust. How does one even switch modes on a 301a car with the analogue cluster??? Unless on a 301 car the exhaust is tied to the drive modes(the switch on the lower center console)? If so, that's pretty limiting because the digital IPC allows one to select exhaust mode independent of drive modes.
AE works just fine without the 12" digital dash. Firstly, it changes with the mode switch in the center console. Secondly, even the non-"digital dash" still has a digital screen in-between the RPM/Speedo guages that lets you change everything about the car... including the exhaust setting.

The cloth seats felt and looked like shit in my opinion and the small infotainment screen is a big downside.
Everyone has their preferences - but I personally don't like leather seats and have gone out of my way to keep them out of most of my cars (too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter). I love the cloth seats in my 301a... they are super comfy. However, I do wish you could get heated/cooled seats that are cloth. That fact makes it tough to choose between the two.

It also sounds like you drove a 300a (because of the tiny infotainment screen). The 301a has a nice large carplay screen. You don't have to upgrade to premium to get that.

Agreed. It really depends on what you want from the package.

Includes:
• 19"x9" (F) 19" x 9.5" (R) Ebony Black Painted Aluminum Wheels - Addable
• 255/40 R10 (F) 275/40 R19 (R) (Summer Only) Tires - Addable
• Brembo™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers - Black with Larger Rotors - Addable
• "Engine Spun" Aluminum instrument Panel - Addable
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum) - Addable
• Heavy-duty Front Springs - Addable
• K-Brace - Addable
• Larger Radiator -- Addable
• Performance Rear Wing - Addable
• Black Painted Strut-Tower Brace - Addable
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio (Manual) - Addable
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.55 Axle Ration (Automatic) - Addable
• Unique Chassis Tuning - Not Addable
• Unique Stability Control, EPAS and ABS Tuning - Not Addable
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar - Addable

So the question is what to you really need and what do you really want?
All true - but it also depends on how much you feel like / want to work on your car AND how much you care about the factory warranty on all this. Since I wasn't going to be tracking my car I don't need _crazy_ levels of performance and getting all of this "higher-end" performance stuff all at once and with a warranty made the PP1 worth it.

But: like I say - it depends on how much time you want to spend in the garage and what your aspirations are for how far you want to take the car.

So if I found a PP1 that I liked, premium or non-premium, and it didn’t have AE, do you think I would really miss out on not have the AE?
Personally, I would not buy one without AE. It sounds _aweseome_ for a stock exhaust. The fact that it can automatically start up in quiet mode based on the time is great. The ability to select "Quiet" when cruising on the highway talking with my fiance is awesome. I change my AE setting a couple of times every single time I drive it.

But: like others say... you can get similar capabilities from aftermarket exhaust too. So: it depends on how much you care about warranties and how much time you want to spend in the garage.

My non-negotiables were:

Manual
AE
PP1
Large infotainment screen
Adaptive Cruise Control

It sounds like you are _really_ wanting to buy one now (which is understandable)... but it really feels like waiting until you can get the one you really want might be better. I watched and waited for a year before picking mine up - every couple of months everything turns over on the used market... and the new market usually refreshes then too (but may be a bit slowed since Ford is having trouble sourcing parts).

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Those that haven't experienced PP1, Magneride and AE are just talking out their posterior nether regions.

That is an absolutely amazing package, and you won't get it until you......get it.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
AE works just fine without the 12" digital dash. Firstly, it changes with the mode switch in the center console. Secondly, even the non-"digital dash" still has a digital screen in-between the RPM/Speedo guages that lets you change everything about the car... including the exhaust setting.

Everyone has their preferences - but I personally don't like leather seats and have gone out of my way to keep them out of most of my cars (too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter). I love the cloth seats in my 301a... they are super comfy. However, I do wish you could get heated/cooled seats that are cloth. That fact makes it tough to choose between the two.

It also sounds like you drove a 300a (because of the tiny infotainment screen). The 301a has a nice large carplay screen. You don't have to upgrade to premium to get that.

All true - but it also depends on how much you feel like / want to work on your car AND how much you care about the factory warranty on all this. Since I wasn't going to be tracking my car I don't need _crazy_ levels of performance and getting all of this "higher-end" performance stuff all at once and with a warranty made the PP1 worth it.

But: like I say - it depends on how much time you want to spend in the garage and what your aspirations are for how far you want to take the car.

Personally, I would not buy one without AE. It sounds _aweseome_ for a stock exhaust. The fact that it can automatically start up in quiet mode based on the time is great. The ability to select "Quiet" when cruising on the highway talking with my fiance is awesome. I change my AE setting a couple of times every single time I drive it.

But: like others say... you can get similar capabilities from aftermarket exhaust too. So: it depends on how much you care about warranties and how much time you want to spend in the garage.

My non-negotiables were:

Manual
AE
PP1
Large infotainment screen
Adaptive Cruise Control

It sounds like you are _really_ wanting to buy one now (which is understandable)... but it really feels like waiting until you can get the one you really want might not be better. I watched and waited for a year before picking mine up - every couple of months everything turns over on the used market... and the new market usually refreshes then too (but may be a bit slowed since Ford is having trouble sourcing parts).
Ya then it was the 300a. Maybe the bigger infotainment screen would have made it look better.

Maybe the experience was also crappy because the dealership guy was a complete idiot and tried selling me a 2014 mustang v6 when I specifically asked if they had any 2015+ mustang gts over the phone and he said they did. Turns out the dealership put the wrong window sticker on the car and the guy couldn't tell the difference smh (and yes this was a ford dealership). I just test drove the brand new one they had so my trip wasn't completely wasted.

At the end of the day the op should go sit in each level trim if possible, and do a test drive. If I had the budget to buy a new mustang with any option I would want that's what I would do.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
’d look to upgrade ... some suspension, and probably brakes.
the 6-pot brembos are as far as you need to go unless you're an autocross/HPDE track rat supreme, and even then. If you actually do get serious about HPDE then you can rather inexpensively upgrade the default 4-pots to the bigger 6-pots.

If you do anything to suspension (springs, dampers) then buying PP1 is just wasted money. The PP1 suspension is not my definition of 'good', rather it fits the description of 'tolerable' if you're not picky. I'd say there are quite a few people who have tossed the PP1 suspension for better on this board.

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the 6-pot brembos are as far as you need to go unless you're an autocross/HPDE track rat supreme, and even then. If you actually do get serious about HPDE then you can rather inexpensively upgrade the default 4-pots to the bigger 6-pots.

If you do anything to suspension (springs, dampers) then buying PP1 is just wasted money. The PP1 suspension is not my definition of 'good', rather it fits the description of 'tolerable' if you're not picky. I'd say there are quite a few people who have tossed the PP1 suspension for better on this board.
And to clarify - I would only look to make these upgrades if I purchased a non-PP car.
Sponsored