Sponsored

What's The Difference??

bjblackout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So one push up on the traction switch and you get " Traction Control Off" and then if i hold the switch up I get this message " Advanced Trac Off"

What's the difference??
Sponsored

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
Advanced Trac off should be reserved for leaving cars and coffee.
:cwl:

That's some truth spoken there.

This is the most powerful Mustang I've ever had, and it is terrific fun. But it's also much bigger/heavier than the ponies from years gone by.

When you turn the helpers off, she can be a handful at the limit of adhesion. Be prepared to anticipate and respond much faster, with measured input. Otherwise over-correction is likely. Not for learning in commute traffic (and no, I didn't learn it there.)

With everything off, the limits approach quite a bit faster and with much less forewarning. She's a very sharp blade.

Still incredibly fun. The Coyote and IRS make this car a great adventure. I can't wait to drive anywhere every day.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
AdvanceTrac comprises two components - TC and ESC.
The traction control cuts off the gas when a rear wheel is spinning.
The electronic stability control detects when the car's trajectory doesn't match the steering input and applies the brakes selectively to each wheel, to bring it back on course.
A short pull of the button turns off the TC.
A long pull also turns off the ESC, which effectively disables AdvanceTrac completely.
That's the theory. In practice, the ESC will never be completely off, unless you physically disconnect it. Even when it says it's off, it actually isn't. But it's close enough to off for all practical purposes.

I drive with TC off and ESC on. The ESC is quite relaxed and seems to intervene only when you're on the verge of losing it. It's not intrusive at all. I like it. I see no reason to turn it off on a public road. The TC, on the other hand, annoys me, and I find it's quite safe to drive without it as long as you're alert.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I dunno if it's just base cars, but there's a hidden mode called "Sport" you can enter by double pressing the traction control button. I think it just lowers the system sensitivity overall, maybe 25 or 50%? Not entirely sure, but it lets you have a lot more fun before it will intervene, especially with the AdvanceTrac/Yaw Control. Nice middle ground between stock and turning it all off.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the "sport" mode of the TC is only available in cars which do not have selectable drive modes. That's probably because the others get the low TC/ESC sensitivity in Track mode, so a separate option would have been superfluous.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I dunno if it's just base cars, but there's a hidden mode called "Sport" you can enter by double pressing the traction control button.
yes it's for 300A and 100A trims. Since we don't have the kitschy toggle buttons for drive modes. The double-pump is akin to 'track' mode.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So one push up on the traction switch and you get " Traction Control Off" and then if i hold the switch up I get this message " Advanced Trac Off"

What's the difference??
It's 1965 vs 2021. :devil: šŸ˜†

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
AdvanceTrac comprises two components - TC and ESC.
The traction control cuts off the gas when a rear wheel is spinning.
The electronic stability control detects when the car's trajectory doesn't match the steering input and applies the brakes selectively to each wheel, to bring it back on course.
A short pull of the button turns off the TC.
A long pull also turns off the ESC, which effectively disables AdvanceTrac completely.
That's the theory. In practice, the ESC will never be completely off, unless you physically disconnect it. Even when it says it's off, it actually isn't. But it's close enough to off for all practical purposes.

I drive with TC off and ESC on. The ESC is quite relaxed and seems to intervene only when you're on the verge of losing it. It's not intrusive at all. I like it. I see no reason to turn it off on a public road. The TC, on the other hand, annoys me, and I find it's quite safe to drive without it as long as you're alert.
Iā€™ve said this before but other than seeing it on these pages Iā€™d have no clue what Advance Trac even is. It is not mentioned anywhere in the ownerā€™s manual for my 2020 GT premium. The manual only references TC and ESC. If you guys are talking about something that has been changed to a different name, be aware that itā€™s confusing a lot of folks.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Iā€™ve said this before but other than seeing it on these pages Iā€™d have no clue what Advance Trac even is. It is not mentioned anywhere in the ownerā€™s manual for my 2020 GT premium. The manual only references TC and ESC. If you guys are talking about something that has been changed to a different name, be aware that itā€™s confusing a lot of folks.
AdvanceTrac is mentioned at several places in the user's manual (though I agree it's difficult to understand exactly what it refers to, since they don't explain it). Besides, when you hold the TC button for more than five seconds, you'll get a message saying "AdvanceTrac Off".
AdvanceTrac is Ford's trademark for the entire system, TC+ESC.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
AdvanceTrac is mentioned at several places in the user's manual (though I agree it's difficult to understand exactly what it refers to, since they don't explain it). Besides, when you hold the TC button for more than five seconds, you'll get a message saying "AdvanceTrac Off".
AdvanceTrac is Ford's trademark for the entire system, TC+ESC.

I very much appreciate that explanation, thank you.

If it's mentioned at all in my 2020 owner's manual I've completely missed it and I've looked pretty hard. Wouldn't be the first time I've missed something but I'd bet heavily it isn't there.

I haven't tried holding the TC button for 5 seconds, only a quick blip to occasionally disable TC only. I'll give that a try as well.

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
There was someone who tested this theory via fuse pull at a race track and that was his theory on why so many Mustangs crash at the cars and coffees. What happened in his testing is that at the extreme when he was really trying to sling the rear around the ESC would kick in and start to correct, causing the car to quickly regain traction and try to point the car straight - while it was sideways. This could cause you to go from a controlled sideways slide (leaving the car show show-off) into quickly the car regaining traction and driving straight into the crowd. When he disabled it completely via fuse pull, this behavior didn't happen.

If that's the case, a word of caution with deliberate disabling and trying to pull stunts without enough space for the recovery.

Not sure how accurate he is, but it makes some sense...

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This looks like a big lawsuit with Ford's name on it waiting to happen. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.
Sponsored