What tires is everyone using?

fbilly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Silver
Define "good." There is probably 1/4" of rubber before you start hitting metal. But the reality is... if you start heading for a curb with any force at all, the rubber is going to give way and you're going to be the proud owner of some fresh curb rash.
Thank you. I just know some tires have zero protection and it was hard to tell from the pics of this one. Are you happy with them so far? How many miles do you have on them?
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
What are the preferred tire installers ? Trusting the wheels will be mounted, torqued and returned without cosmetic damage.

Reading tire rack as a source, have reservations going down that road. Reason, being not sure about the installers they would contract.

Pretty much believe in the term one gets what they pay for. Have see that in action with friends. Who think the word "deal" is always the last word. Ignoring the the one the counts....... quality .

V Good list V

delete >>>>>>> Cheap: Federal Evolution F60

*Good: Firestones Firehawk Indy 500

*Better: Continental ExtremeContact Sport DW

*Best: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What are the preferred tire installers ? Trusting the wheels will be mounted, torqued and returned without cosmetic damage.
Reading tire rack as a source, have reservations going down that road. Reason, being not sure about the installers they would contract.
I have found that the installers found on Tire Rack to be some of the best in any given neighborhood. If they're not TR will remove them. If have you reservations go visit a couple of them and use the one that impresses you the most.

Last edited:

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
What kinda temps. Were these chilly mornings and we're they sunny or overcast?

The worst feeling in the world is getting on it while merging onto a highway during a chilly morning when you forget your on summer tires!!! Ask me how I know! Effen Pirelli Puck Zeros!
We don't get below freezing much in Raleigh, so maybe 40s-50s, no sun hitting the street yet. Yeah, I check the thermometer to see if I have to baby it or not. I have a right turn onto a fairly competitive street during rush hour such that I need to get moving in a hurry - that required paying close attention on those cold mornings.

Thank you. I just know some tires have zero protection and it was hard to tell from the pics of this one. Are you happy with them so far? How many miles do you have on them?
I have stock PP1 wheels - the brake dust-attractor ones - so it would depend in other situations. I got the tires 6 days go, and the only driving I did was to take the long way home from the tire store, just to scrub the mold release off. The car has been sitting since then, as my life is now lived entirely in the house. They sure look nice and shiny, though!

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
We don't get below freezing much in Raleigh, so maybe 40s-50s, no sun hitting the street yet. Yeah, I check the thermometer to see if I have to baby it or not. I have a right turn onto a fairly competitive street during rush hour such that I need to get moving in a hurry - that required paying close attention on those cold mornings.
That sounds about right I'm saying 50-55 degrees is the UN-SAFE threshold for summer tires on high horse cars. Anything under 60-65 degrees is potentially sketchy depending on if the sun is out. That doesn't leave a long driving season here in Chicago.

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I think that's being way to conservative. anything above 35-40 and a good set of summer tires are fine if your not driving crazy. April-November in Chicago for me and I've been fine for 5 years.

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
Puck Zeros this past October ar 50 degrees and no sun. 390-400 hp at the wheels, Cracked the throttle at 40 mph, on I55 and was like driving on ice. Used to make the same move daily routine 65 Degree and above weather....grip & gone. Tires used only during summer months, Granted the tires were probably better than 3/4 the way through their heat/ cool life cycle.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
The michelin PS4S were nice but expensive. I only got 22k miles out of the rear before it was showing cords, and 26k miles on the front.

After that, I switched to the Firehawk Indy 500, and those tires impressed the hell out of me. They're half the price and have like 90% of the performance of the PS4S.

5pt.whoa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Cheap: Federal Evolution F60

Good: Firestones Firehawk Indy 500

Better: Continental ExtremeContact Sport DW

Best: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
totally just bought a 295/30/20 front 305/30/20 rear set of the federal f60 tires. I’ll have my wife let you guys know if I die

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Good compromise price performance =indy500

great tire. Ps4

Rs4 are nice too. (Also fast in case one day you decide to try on roadcourse)

I would avoid n555 and especially NT05. they are trash IMO especially the second one.
Does this include the newer N555G2s?..looking for a 285/35/19 and a 305/35/19 and can't get them in either the Mich PS4s or the ContiExtremeContact. On the M3 I have been running Mich PSS then PS4s in 275/30/19 and 295/30/19 and love them.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Does this include the newer N555G2s?..looking for a 285/35/19 and a 305/35/19 and can't get them in either the Mich PS4s or the ContiExtremeContact. On the M3 I have been running Mich PSS then PS4s in 275/30/19 and 295/30/19 and love them.
I now have a new great choice.
GOOD YEAR supercar 3. Superior than sport 4s and cheaper. Also great on track!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I just got Continental ECS 2 months ago. I couldn't be happier. It is unreal how much better they are than the Nitto 555G2's I hd the last 3 years. I can actually hit the gas now from a dig and Stick! These inspire confidence and I highly recommend
How did the Conti's do in the cooler spring weather? Did they stiffen up? I'm also in the Chicago area and and deciding between the Michelin PS4S and the Conti ECS

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I have 275/35/19 front and 295/35/19 rear Conti ECS on 19X10 and 19X11 SVE X500 wheels. I was going to to do the MIch PS4s but I would have had to wait 6 days and I already had the OEM wheels sold and just wanted to get them. That being said the Contis are an excellent tire. I have owned MIch PSS and PS4S on my E92 M3 and the Contis feel just as good.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed! I put these on early March and have had nothing but confidence when driving anywhere from 30 to 80 degree temps in the last couple months. I have never experienced a tire this good. I get a little envious always seeing the Michelin’s on all the car shows but I’m happy with my choice for a couple hundred $ less

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I have the Nitto 555G2 and they are great. Handle corners well and are quiet on the highway.
Sponsored