Washing Advice?

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
This is the first soft top car I've owned. What....how etc. do you wash the top without damaging it? Do you just spray it/wash it like the rest of the car or do you have separate products etc. that you use? Thanks!!!!
Sponsored

PonyLance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium Convertible
That's a good question. I've always just washed the top like the rest of my car body with good quality car wash product. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I sure would like to know too.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I've never owned a convertible so take my input with a grain of salt, I have friends with convertibles and have helped them wash their cars though. From the research I have done it is best to not wash the traditional way, especially no to using high pressure water. I have done the paint the normal way and tried to keep the pressure and soap away as much as possible, then I actually use Rinseless wash and a flag tipped brush to brush on the solution then rinse off with just a garden hose. Seems to work really well. Have heard a lot of people rave about Ragg Topp brand products but I haven't experienced them personally. Paging our resident detailing guru @DFB5.0 , he might have some more valuable input for you :)

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I had the guy that did ceramic do a treatment on the soft top. Got one of those fancy soft hair brushes (hint they sell them at Autozone these days for less). I use the brush and the same car wash as the body and it seems fine. going on 2 years now.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
The key is not to put the top down when it is wet or dirty. Always when dry and clean, and don't store the car for long periods with the top down. Always get bird droppings washed off as quick as you can. Have had a vinyl and fabric convertible and these tips kept the top looking great.

Also after a wash, put a treatment on it like Haartz Raggtopp. They are manufacturers of the majority of soft tops for OEMs if I remember correctly.

https://www.haartz.com/cleaning-guide/cloth-top-cleaning

(lol... looking at the email address on the webpage I saw Wolfenstein at first... haha)

Sponsored

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
This is the first soft top car I've owned. What....how etc. do you wash the top without damaging it? Do you just spray it/wash it like the rest of the car or do you have separate products etc. that you use? Thanks!!!!

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge

Cyberbill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium Gt Convertible
I wash my convertibles with mcguires convertible cleaner, and follow up with 303 protectants…use a horse hair brush, keep top up as much as possible, never put down wet or dirty, and never ever ever go through an automatic car wash, it will beat the sheet out of your top…
grandpa bill

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
And be careful about the horse hair brush you use. I use ragg topp cleaners but last time the soft brush i used left hundreds of hairs behind….
I ended up getting a decent quality lint brush and cleaned most of them off. I still use the lint brush from time to time to pick off the light stuff.

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I treat my top with 303 Fabric Protector each Spring and Fall. When I wash my car, I just heavily hose down my top and squeegee the water off, then dry with a cotton Turkish towel. I figure the less cleaning products I use, the longer the protection will last. This method would obviously not work with tree sap, serious bird droppings, etc.

Sponsored

Canadian Crimson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP1 Royal Crimson
I wash mine with a stiff upholstery type brush and just use a mild soap on it. ( Nothing with a wax added) rinse it very thoroughly and let it dry before I put it down. to be totally honest she is a garage queen and lives a sheltered life. The paint gets washed probably 10 times to one top wash. Store it with the top up and locked in place. And like others have said keep the bird droppings off it.

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
And be careful about the horse hair brush you use. I use ragg topp cleaners but last time the soft brush i used left hundreds of hairs behind….
I ended up getting a decent quality lint brush and cleaned most of them off. I still use the lint brush from time to time to pick off the light stuff.
I had a ragg top brush that did that on my Miata, pain in the ass.

OP, just don't use any harsh chemicals, dish soap or acidic or alkaline cleaners and you'll be ok. 303 makes an excellent cleaning product for soft tops. Pair that with a soft boar hair or horse hair brush and be gentle. Do NOT let bird shit sit on the soft top for days on end. It's mostly sun and UV that kill soft tops, not washing technique. Also putting the soft top up and down when it's cold out.. I know Mazda manual says not to under 45 degrees, Ford's spec may be different but read the manual on that.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I use Woolite Dark solution in a pump up sprayer and a horsehair brush. I certainly don’t wash the top every time the car is washed. 303 Fabric Guard spring and fall, two coats 12-24 hours apart.

glene

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt
google RAGG TOP products…good stuff

thatothermj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium convertible
I wash my convertibles with mcguires convertible cleaner, and follow up with 303 protectants…use a horse hair brush, keep top up as much as possible, never put down wet or dirty, and never ever ever go through an automatic car wash, it will beat the sheet out of your top…
grandpa bill
I second this. This is my first Mustang and my first convertible and I’ve been using a variety of 303 products for the top, the wheels, and the interior. McGuire’s stuff is solid too. You really can’t go wrong with either.
Sponsored