Sponsored

Washing convertible top

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I have long known that to remove chewing gum from hair you use peanut butter and then shampoo the PB out. Out of curiosity I googled tree sap and found a page that suggested many things, among them, peanut butter, to remove sap from fabric. I would suggest trying PB and using an old tooth brush and very gently work the PB in and see if that works. The PB can then be washed off the top with regular soapy water.
Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
You guys are spending far more time for less protection! Just trap a large plastic sheet under the top. Mask rear window and trap/tape top of sides and rear.

20180924_114838.jpg
20180924_114829.jpg
I use plastic as well. The top treatment soaks right through the paper.

RickBetterley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium convertible
Good thing I have you folks to remind me to protect the rear window and other areas with plastic and painters tape. I used plastic trash bags (unused of course)
Coated the top with 303 after a vacuum (top was clean following covered winter storage) and it came out great.

Last edited:

Will C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT convertible 2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory
I too was curious as to how to clean the top, so I spent some time on the googles and here and now I use a self service car wash.
I had been using an auto wash with brushes for non-vert vehicles but was pretty sure that would not be a good long term solution. I use the low pressure soap from the wand when the top needs it, also on the rest of the car, then the soapy brush on the rest of the car and wheels. When I rinse the car with high pressure I do the top from a distance of about 12-18 inches at an oblique angle. I can see the soap coming out of the fabric and when it is clear water I call that done.
Takes me about 20mins, $3 for the wash and $1 for the vac after. Chamois after vac.. done!
I also wash the soapy brush with high pressure water before I use it on the car, you never know who was there before you.......
Sponsored