Sponsored

Washing convertible top

TexasPigHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Is it safe to drive these through a car wash? It’s the wife’s car and she says no. What do y’all say? I don’t have time to hand wash it, so only other option is a $90 detail.
Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Is it safe to drive these through a car wash? It’s the wife’s car and she says no. What do y’all say? I don’t have time to hand wash it, so only other option is a $90 detail.
If its her car, tell her to wash it. Problem solved....:lol::lol:

Seriously thou, its probably the same as a herd rain, so I can't see why not:shrug:

Brushless....right????:thumbsup:

mwoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT Convertible
I don’t do it with mine, but I don’t see why the brushless washes would be too bad.

OP
OP

TexasPigHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Wasn’t planning on brushless, none of them are worth the money around here. We have a new car wash with brushes that is super slow, I can brush my teeth faster then what they move. The place I take my truck looks like it would hurt.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
I bought the unlimited wash package at my local Planet Brushless “SOFT CLOTH” Car Wash and run it through on average twice a week. The top looks brand new because the key to fabric longevity is to wash away all the dirt in a gentle manner on a regular basis.

I edited my post to emphasize “SOFT CLOTH” as opposed to the rotating brushes or “touchless” automated car washes. I also read up on modern automated car wash technology which is pretty sophisticated. One feature is the spray pressure is low from the windows up and highest down low for the wheels and rocker panels.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
I'm not in favor of car washes except for my leased Fusion. My Mustang is DIY.

I recently traded in a '14 GT 'vert. I regularly washed the top using a wet, soap-less cloth to loosen the dirt, then followed it with Woolite spray carpet cleaner and stiff nylon brush and then a wipe-down with a just damp cloth. No stains, the top always looked perfect and new. I intend to do the same on my 2018 GT convertible.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Use this with a horsehair brush.

31xfxnu4n-L.jpg

41z%2BlE2IgqL.jpg

parajax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convert
i have owned 5 different convertibles in my lifetime and currently have a 16 GT vert. My first Mustang. I have owned some of these cars for 15 years, and the tops still looked like new.
I never take my convertibles through an automated car wash. Its not just the brushes, it is also the soap that may not totally get rinsed off.
You love you car. Enjoy the experience of washing it yourself.
Of course this is only my opinion and experience. Yours may be different.

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
I used RaggTopp on my last convertible and just bought another set for this. It's a cleaner protectant combo kit. As for automated washes, I did that in a pinch with the last car too. But not too often. & I would imagine de-soaping would be the issue. That's hard enough with gentler soaps.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine through a brushless car wash (quick trip) right after I picked it up. Did not want the dealership hand washing it. I just wanted to get the bulk of the dirt off before I took it to a detailer a few weeks later. I found all kinds of soap residue in the windows jams and other places as it did not rinse off well. This will be the last time I do that...

Sponsored

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Even manually the soap in the top can take a lot of time and water for the soak leaves the material

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Even manually the soap in the top can take a lot of time and water for the soak leaves the material
That is a very good point as I have never had that issue before.. I think the cloth top still had soap in it and was dripping down into the windows.

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
Prior to my recent 2018 'vert, my 2014 'vert saw a hose and soap just once a year in the spring, followed by clay prior to a paint correction with a DA, and the top never ever got soap. After the spring paint correction I used a rinse less wash and detail sprays on the sheet metal.

In fairness it was always garaged and never driven intentionally in the rain (although I did get surprised a few times) and never in the snow or if there was salt on the roads.

As far as the cloth top, I swear by Woolite foam upholstery cleaner, a brush, and damp wipe down. I traded in the '14 looking better than when I first brought it home.

My '18 will get the same treatment.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Like he said.

CVcashmere

I used RaggTopp on my last convertible and just bought another set for this. It's a cleaner protectant combo kit. As for automated washes, I did that in a pinch with the last car too. But not too often. & I would imagine de-soaping would be the issue. That's hard enough with gentler soaps.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Is the Woolite safe if I had a spray protectant put on the top? My detailer applied some type of long term protectant that is supposed to bead up rain and keep it clean..
I will have to ask them about that....
Sponsored