Sponsored

Voodoo Crankshaft Weight?

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I've Googled and searched the GT350 forum and can't find the answer. Has anyone either weighed their Voodoo crankshaft or found documentation of its weight? TIA
Sponsored

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Curious what you need it for?

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
I've Googled and searched the GT350 forum and can't find the answer. Has anyone either weighed their Voodoo crankshaft or found documentation of its weight? TIA
51 Pounds
When I first learned about Fords new 5.2 FPC from the video below, I thought to myself, "This FPC crank looks pretty heavy".
After learning that they went with an UDUD crank journal layout instead of an UDDU configuration, it was obvious the crank would be heavier. due to more counterweight.
Sometimes I wonder if they would have went the other way, the outcome may have been a lot different.
More discussion here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ford-out-gm-in-with-fpc.139646/page-5#post-2880607

FPC Discussion: 1:37 - 4:07

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
51 Pounds
That's incorrect. It's somewhere between 46-48 lbs. I've weighed one myself years ago so I don't remember exactly and I don't want to go through the thread I mentioned before. Even the Predator crank is less than 51lbs.

Sponsored

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
That's incorrect. It's somewhere between 46-48 lbs. I've weighed one myself years ago so I don't remember exactly and I don't want to go through the thread I mentioned before. Even the Predator crank is less than 51lbs.
Guess there were two different readings

51 Pounds is what Honeybadger's crank weighed, 51.4 after it was re-balanced.
Here:

But later the bathroom scale said 47.2: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-engine-refresh-time.115139/page-10#post-2430932

Last edited:

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
@AceOne here you go. Looks like 47.2 lbs for me (atleast according to the bathroom scale :))
20190108_132406.jpg
20190108_132438.jpg
Guess there were two different readings

51 Pounds is what Honeybadger's crank weighed, 51.4 after it was re-balanced.
Here:

But later the bathroom scale said 47.2: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-engine-refresh-time.115139/page-10#post-2430932
The 51/51.4 was my post to the weight of the Ford Performance 5.2 Cross plane crank weight.

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
The 51/51.4 was my post to the weight of the Ford Performance 5.2 Cross plane crank weight.
So, is that crank different to the predator crank ?

Sponsored

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
So, is that crank different to the predator crank ?
Can't say for certain as I didn't and don't have them side by side to compare. The FP crank is unbalanced while the predator crank comes balanced for the expected weights of the production parts. If I were to build an engine with one or the other and I was using heavy rods say over 650g, I'd use the predator crank. It would need less mallory if any, as it already comes with two slugs in it, compared to the FP crank. Lighter rods like the K1 would need quite a bit of metal removed from the predator crank so the FP crank might be economically better.

Did you use the predator head gaskets on one of your builds? If so, did your builder measure their thickness? I need something a little thicker than the voodoo thickness.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Can't say for certain as I didn't and don't have them side by side to compare. The FP crank is unbalanced while the predator crank comes balanced for the expected weights of the production parts. If I were to build an engine with one or the other and I was using heavy rods say over 650g, I'd use the predator crank. It would need less mallory if any, as it already comes with two slugs in it, compared to the FP crank. Lighter rods like the K1 would need quite a bit of metal removed from the predator crank so the FP crank might be economically better.

Did you use the predator head gaskets on one of your builds? If so, did your builder measure their thickness? I need something a little thicker than the voodoo thickness.
Thanks again as always .
I did use the predator head gaskets in the CP build but the long block is already assembled .
I will ask my engine builder if he measured. It’s considerably thicker .
I am building up my “spare voodoo “and I am sticking with the head gaskets that came with it as the motor was never run .
He will be building a second one (from scratch ) after this one and I was planing on the predator head gaskets since I am needing to buy head gaskets anyway . I will ask him to measure them when he gets them in .
When would you use the thicker predator vs voodoo head gaskets ?

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
Thanks again as always .
I did use the predator head gaskets in the CP build but the long block is already assembled .
I will ask my engine builder if he measured. It’s considerably thicker .
I am building up my “spare voodoo “and I am sticking with the head gaskets that came with it as the motor was never run .
He will be building a second one (from scratch ) after this one and I was planing on the predator head gaskets since I am needing to buy head gaskets anyway . I will ask him to measure them when he gets them in .
When would you use the thicker predator vs voodoo head gaskets ?
Appreciate it, I have time to wait.

I'm using Gen3 pistons with the predator crank. Pistons are taller than voodoo pistons so they come closer to the heads.

Just want to add that the FP 5.2 crank doesn't appear to be gundrilled. There is no plug in the pilot bearing recess.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you building a 5.0 ?
Or do they make the Gen 3 coyote pistons in a 3.7 bore ?

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
No 5.2. J&E 3.700" gen3 pistons. I've seen other brands as well.
Sponsored