Vibration

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
2017 Ecoboost Premium AT - the vibration occurs while running between 45 & 60 mpg then goes away - had tires (1 1/2 years old) rebalanced twice today - vibration is still there - it’s hard to pen point - has these cars had any issues with something odd like this? Any ideas or suggestions - it’s not real bad just annoying. The car has 75,000 miles on it and only mod is the exhaust - just bought the car last week.
thanks
Sponsored

007evan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
evan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT 2019 VW Jetta GLI
where is the vibration comming from the steering wheel or are you feeling it in the seat. Could be alot of things inspect the exaust drive axels wheel bearings. Put the up on jack stands and put a wrench on everthing first and inspect the drive line. Maybe just a bent rim somthing easy

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@BLUDICE

check out this thread - it’s huge, BUT it has a lot of driveline vibe tech in it with Ford TSB’s, Ford shop manual aids and some M6G members getting resolution from the DIY tech within:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/vibration-between-50-70-mph.15990/

The driveline vibe was most common issue on the 2015-2017’s - some could resolve it, some could not. As you experienced, the vibe usually does kick in predominantly at about 60-75+ and rolls off after 85-90... but most could feel it coming on at about 45+.

Since you have a modified exhaust, that alone can cause NVH. Check for anywhere along the exhaust from engine back and make sure the exhaust is not touching or too close to any parts of the body.

You probably do not feel (or hear) the lower driveline resonance at the lower speeds (40 up to 55). Usually on a stock car it’s felt in the floor pans, door panel, trans tunnel and steering wheel and the sound will almost be like a flutter or “propeller” at the lower speeds.

You can try marking the current position of the DS on the DS flange and pinion flange and then rotate it 180* to see if that makes the vibe better or worse.

Also check the DS center support bearing for any damages - usually this is first item to fail on any 2-piece DS.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
find a friend with another mustang, swap wheels, go for a drive... check if that helps... if it does, you have a bad wheel

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
2017 Ecoboost Premium AT - the vibration occurs while running between 45 & 60 mpg then goes away - had tires (1 1/2 years old) rebalanced twice today - vibration is still there - it’s hard to pen point - has these cars had any issues with something odd like this? Any ideas or suggestions - it’s not real bad just annoying. The car has 75,000 miles on it and only mod is the exhaust - just bought the car last week.
thanks
But it’s easier to dry, right? :crackup: :cwl: Sorry Gary, I had too. Good luck getting that vibration taken care of.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
But it’s easier to dry, right? :crackup: :cwl: Sorry Gary, I had too. Good luck getting that vibration taken care of.
You bet it is lol - also I forgot to mention that dreaded back deck panel scratches so easily on the ‘19 - not so on the ‘17. 😀✌

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
Wouldn’t a bad wheel show up when I had the wheels balanced today?
We just had an infiniti here at the lot that was shaking like a mofo, took it to balance twice... nothing. We decided to put some oem wheels from another infiniti and the car drove perfectly.

just try it, it's free...

Last edited:

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I heard the owner of a tire shop once exclaim "you can balance a cement block, but that doesn't mean it'll roll."
Most likely a wheel/tire, or bearing hub.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Lots to read in that thread referenced above. A bit overwhelming to be honest. LOL Seems most have had luck with driveline angles or driveshaft.

I had the vibration and in my case is was fixed with an entire rear end rebuild. New torsen diff, ring and pinion, bearings etc. The whole deal. Car has been smooth as glass ever since. I got lucky that my Ford dealer really hunted down the cause. They looked at every moving part under the car.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I have not heard about this for some years, but there were articles about the nature of radial tires. It was that the radials had a natural tendency to have a vibration at particular speeds. That was in the 45 MPH or so speeds. This was before the more extreme low profile tires common today. It was cited as being part of the nature of radial tire design.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn’t a bad wheel show up when I had the wheels balanced today?
Sometimes if the wheel is bad enough the tire shop will let you know. I've had a couple of situations where that happened but it is usually obvious damage. But... a wheel can be bent (less than you think) and cause a vibration. I witnessed that on a Honda I had. The wheels seemed fine. Even with jacking up the car and turning the wheels, there was nothing noticeable to me. That is, until I actually checked the runout with a dial indicator. I suspected as much because my set of steelies were smooth as glass. It was when I put on the alum wheels there was a problem. Even though the shop could balance them, there was always an issue with vibration.

First and foremost in a speed specific vibration, I would have my tires rebalanced. Then work out from that.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
STEERING WHEEL OR BUTT??

We're asking this question for important reasons, please answer it.

OP
OP
BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Both but no vibration problem with the rear view mirror
Sponsored