Sponsored

Vibration at 55mph

768mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Ive had a vibration at 55mph ever since I bought my '16. Starts at 50 and disappears at 60mph.

After 2500 miles, I decided that it was time to bring it in. It is an A6 with 3.55s with 20x9 option.
I have an Army school in Missouri for 15 weeks, so I bought a pair of Mustang optional 19s with All Season tires, due to the P Zeros not doing very well in winter driving.
Well, after the switch to 19s, the problem was still there. Ruled out the wheels/tires.

I changed the tire pressure from 32-42 psi, no change (20s and 19s).
Driving at 55mph, put it in Neutral- no change
2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gear at 55mph- no change

Decided to bring it in to the dealer for diagnosis. Turns out it's a faulty driveshaft.
I was informed by my service adviser that this is the second time this has been seen with the 2016s...

Just an FYI for those out there that may have the same issue.
Sponsored

OP
OP
768mph

768mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
OP
OP
768mph

768mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
So after 4 days at the dealership, they replaced he driveshaft and said they had to weld weights to the new driveshaft to make it work. The service advisor informed me the tech said it was barely noticeable.
I pick up the car and it's worse than it was before. I turn right back to them and have the service manager DRIVE my car. She fully agrees and gets on the Ford hot line to request what it could be.
I was informed that Ford suggests replacing the rear diff next.

This is at the worst time because I am now having to drive from Houston, TX to Fort Leonard Wood, MO in the morning at 0400. I informed the dealership of my time constraint when Indropped the car off on Tuesday this week; Now Friday evening. I was informed that, "shouldn't hurt anything on the drive, make sure to get to a dealer in MO that can repair your car. They can run your VIN and see the issue "

Really?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So after 4 days at the dealership, they replaced he driveshaft and said they had to weld weights to the new driveshaft to make it work. The service advisor informed me the tech said it was barely noticeable.

I pick up the car and it's worse than it was before. I turn right back to them and have the service manager DRIVE my car. She fully agrees and gets on the Ford hot line to request what it could be.
I was informed that Ford suggests replacing the rear diff next.
If it's worse after they tried to balance the driveshaft then it sounds like they need to have someone who knows how to balance a drive shaft properly work on the car. Did this shop have the Ford vibration analyzer tool? Sounds like the drive shaft is more out of balance then it was when they started. Leaving the drive shaft screwed up and throwing in a new differential isn't going to cure anything.

They can run your VIN and see the issue.
First time I've heard of that. So is Ford saying they know a range of cars by VIN that can suffer from the vibration problem?

As I noticed the 118 page thread about it after posting.... :doh:
Yes ... the vibration issue is WELL known around here.

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
There's a thread a few down from this one where a member fixed their own driveshaft. None of us should have to do that, but given that both Ford and their technicians are grossly incompetent, we might have to start trying ourselves.

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Sounds like you are starting down the path I am just finishing.

You can read my posts in the big vibration thread and the Lemon Law thread.
Hope you have better luck than I did !

OP
OP
768mph

768mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
First time I've heard of that. So is Ford saying they know a range of cars by VIN that can suffer from the vibration problem?
They are able to see the notes on my particular VIN number. I dont think they traced it down to VIN in general.
They did use an analyzer, which is why I wonder how they said it improved? I feel they messed up the new driveshaft or it came worse and couldnt repair it. Threw it out there saying it was better.
When I asked about the before and after comparison Data, I get a "I'll ask my tech about it and call you back..." :paddle:

Im already in Missouri and searching for a new dealer in the surrounding area, Fort Leonard Wood; and have already messaged Ford Customer Service on here.

OP
OP
768mph

768mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Sounds like you are starting down the path I am just finishing.

You can read my posts in the big vibration thread and the Lemon Law thread.
Hope you have better luck than I did !
Man, I hope not. This is my 4th Mustang and really enjoy this one. I just want it fixed. :frusty:

Thank you.

Mustg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I have the same problem with my 2016. Owning it for the past 6 months, bouncing from dealer to dealer and dealing with Ford Customer service has consumed my life. I suggest you check if they lined up the yellow marks on the drive shaft and pinion flange, its called indexing the shaft, it appears this helped some owners. They replace my shaft twice and I still have the vibration.

Sponsored

Jetboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem / 1999 Yellow GT Convt.
Have them put the vib analyzer on it. Could be the rear diff like mine was.

OP
OP
768mph

768mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Have them put the vib analyzer on it. Could be the rear diff like mine was.
They did that originally, it is was determined to be the driveshaft. After replacement and added weights, it was worse...yet, the tech said it was improved after he drove it. Hmmm... I never saw before and after data sheets.

Hopefully this new dealership in Missouri will solve my issue. We shall see...
Ford Customer Service has been talking with them this week and I drop it off on Saturday.

Mustg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Don't expect much from Ford Customer Service. I found them to be useless.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
They did that originally, it is was determined to be the driveshaft. After replacement and added weights, it was worse...yet, the tech said it was improved after he drove it. Hmmm... I never saw before and after data sheets.

Hopefully this new dealership in Missouri will solve my issue. We shall see...
Ford Customer Service has been talking with them this week and I drop it off on Saturday.
Definitely stay in contact with your CSM, 768mph.

Don't expect much from Ford Customer Service. I found them to be useless.
Sorry to learn our customer service was not to your satisfaction, Mustg3. I’m happy to get this documented for you. If you’d like to, PM me with the details.

Deysha

OP
OP
768mph

768mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Definitely stay in contact with your CSM, 768mph.
Deysha
Deysa,

Dropped it off this morning at Hutcheson Ford. They were real receptive and professional. Hope to hear good things.

On a side note, attached is the notes I got from my previous dealership-
(Planet Ford 45 in Spring, TX)
I don't understand how it's not put back on the machine when the vibrations were worse. It seems, that someone was just wanting the car out of the bay.

I'll keep you all posted

"CS THAT THERE IS A HEAVY VIBRATION/SHAKING THROUGHOUT THE VEHICLE WHEN DRIVING 50-60MPH - STATES IT IS ALL THE TIME, EVERYTIME DURING THAT SPEED.
VERIFIED CONCERN OF VIBRATION AND 50-60MPH. PERFORMED NVH DIAG AND RECIEVED 49HZ FROM NVH ANALYZER INDICATED DRIVESHAFT VIBRATION. INSPECTED DRIVESHAFT, ALL U JOINTS PASSED. PERFORMED RUNOUT AND MEASURE FRONT REAR AND CENTER. FRONT AND REAR PASSED AND CENTER AT .62 WHICH IS WELL OVER SPEC.
INSTALLED NEW DRIVESHAFT ASSEMBLY AND RETEST DROVE AND VERIFIED HEAVY VIBRATION IS NO LONGER PRESENT. NO OTHER CONCERNS AT THIS TIME."
Sponsored