Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Been away a while. I'm interested in whether the 2018s are affected also, as I'm looking into ordering a 2019. If they are affected, I'll be more than happy to jump to Chevy or Dodge. This is a very irritating problem.

Just to remind everyone - the vibration we are talking about here is similar to the sound of an airplane propeller. More of a harmonic hum/buzz. NOT a back and fourth shimmy or a bounce, which is a tire/wheel.

I rented a 2017 GT prem. automatic from Budget on a recent trip to DC. What a whored out vehicle, and it vibrated like hell! Way worse than my 2016 Prem. PP. Smelled like a dog fart inside and the subwoofer was blown, so the stereo sounded like a dental instrument. I like the automatic trans, though. Thinking about getting the 10 speed auto in my next one.

Feel free to search for my posts on this thread - I have been around the world with this problem on the 99-03 SVT Cobras with IRS, so I know a thing or two about it! I've posted a LOT of good tech (and so have other people).

My vibration was reduced by about 80% by unbolting the driveshaft from the pinion flange and reattaching it 180 degrees from the original factory installed position. It's a very simple thing to try and it may help you as it did me. Unbolting the driveshaft center hanger bearing and transmission mounts to "neutralize" binding stress also seems like a good idea. Don't be afraid to try these. I mean come on folks - we're car guys, right?
Sponsored

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V-6 051A 6spd,95 Mustang GT Vert
Yes changing the clock position on the rear driveshaft to pinion flange makes a big difference on these cars. I have tried every position and mine is fixed or 90% fixed. At the worst position it will shake your teeth out.

Mr.K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 RS2
Has anyone had the dealer tell them their wheel is bent?
My car is currently at the dealer and they called saying that the front passenger wheel is bent, which is interesting because 1: my car only vibrates at speeds ranging from 65-80 2: there is no shake in the steering wheel at all, and 3: there is no visible damage to the wheel, and there is no way i can think of that can bend a wheel without causing any curb rash or any signs of damage.

I would hate to have to replace a wheel and not fix my vibration issue.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Good luck with your problem, although it does sound a bit suspicious. Let us now

markw24

markw24
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
My car is currently at the dealer and they called saying that the front passenger wheel is bent, which is interesting because 1: my car only vibrates at speeds ranging from 65-80 2: there is no shake in the steering wheel at all, and 3: there is no visible damage to the wheel, and there is no way i can think of that can bend a wheel without causing any curb rash or any signs of damage.

They will tell you anything to get you out the door. That is all that has happened to me.The best one I ever got was "the new tires need to be broke in". I guess they thought I was born the day before.

Sponsored

Memphis9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
Guys, installing the Steeda subframe alignment inserts, differential bushing inserts, subframe braces and lowering the car COMPLETELY eliminated my 50-65mph freeway vibration. It was always bad, from day one. Indexing the driveshaft helped a little, but installing these parts made the car butter smooth while cruising down the freeway. Night and day. I'm strong believer in the problem being a rear subframe alignment to the chassis and pinion angle problem.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, installing the Steeda subframe alignment inserts, differential bushing inserts, subframe braces and lowering the car COMPLETELY eliminated my 50-65mph freeway vibration. It was always bad, from day one. Indexing the driveshaft helped a little, but installing these parts made the car butter smooth while cruising down the freeway. Night and day. I'm strong believer in the problem being a rear subframe alignment to the chassis and pinion angle problem.
Great feedback & we appreciate your review.

Best Regards,

TJ

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Im very pleased with my Steeda suspension mods which were done before i added 300 more rwhp with boost. Car is still rock solid under power and at high speed and handles very well in all types of conditions..

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Does the car need an alignment once the alignment inserts are installed?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Does the car need an alignment once the alignment inserts are installed?
It might. But Steeda claims using them means dropping the cradle in the future will NOT require another alignment.

Sponsored

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
Great feedback & we appreciate your review.

Best Regards,

TJ
I have all the same parts and the car hooks like a $2000 hooker in Vegas ... But it made my car vibrate even worse ..But I'm not going to blame the parts because I had the drive shaft out of the car and I didn't even think of putting it back in the same location ..When I get some free time I'm going to pull the drive shaft and see if I can get it back to the place Ford had it from the factory .. When my car was new it had zero Vibrations so I think I have the driveshaft indexed wrong ..:frusty:

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I have all the same parts and the car hooks like a $2000 hooker in Vegas ... But it made my car vibrate even worse ..But I'm not going to blame the parts because I had the drive shaft out of the car and I didn't even think of putting it back in the same location ..When I get some free time I'm going to pull the drive shaft and see if I can get it back to the place Ford had it from the factory .. When my car was new it had zero Vibrations so I think I have the driveshaft indexed wrong ..:frusty:
Uh Oh! You fixed it until you broke it! :headbonk:

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06

Lol, go ask them to show you a slip from a balancing machine saying that it's bent. Then go take the same sheet to another reputable place and see if it matches up with their findings. Chances are, they're just trying to get rid of you.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Well, there's no denying it now - my 2018 definitely vibrates between 60 -70 mph. I've been trying to convince myself that maybe it was road surface, or the 20s I'm riding on, but there's no denying there is something up at that speed range. I feel it in the gas pedal and the steering wheel a bit. There are times where I don't feel it at all, and other times where it's obvious enough that the digital speedometer is a bit blurry from the shaking. It feels like front end only - I don't feel it in the seat. It doesn't seem like a driveline vibration - there's no oscillation to it, no rumble or roar type sound. It just feels like the front end is vibrating at that speed range. It only seems to do it when I'm at constant speed in higher gear though, so that would point to driveline. If I accelerate through to over 70, it seems fine. But when I level off at 60-65 especially, SOMETIMES it vibrates. Other times not at all.

I still have hope that maybe it's a tire balance issue or flatspotting - I'll take it in when I have a chance to road force balance again. It just sucks because the honeymoon feels like its over now. Had the car for a month. I buy new once every ten years - was hoping to have a smooth easy experience this time. My 06 had all kinds of differential and driveshaft issues within 6 months. I think I am just cursed.

Last edited:

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I'll bet you have a tire issue and not a drive line issue.
Sponsored