Sponsored

V6 vs EcoBoost

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
Are they revising the new supra? I'm actually hoping they bump up the power for the gt86 as I really like that car a lot.
GT86/BRZ, a great choice. RWD, 200 HP, sub-3K lbs and a Boxer engine.
Sponsored

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I read news recently that they maybe using a new 2.4L engine for the GT86/BRZ and phasing out the 2.0L. Currently the 2.4L is turbo charged and is on a SUV. I don't remember the figures but mid to high 200s for HP and torque. If they put that and keep the weight under 3000lbs it'll be an awesome car.

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
I read news recently that they maybe using a new 2.4L engine for the GT86/BRZ and phasing out the 2.0L. Currently the 2.4L is turbo charged and is on a SUV. I don't remember the figures but mid to high 200s for HP and torque. If they put that and keep the weight under 3000lbs it'll be an awesome car.
If the engine is increased to 2.4L and a turbo is added, I think it wouldn't be under 3K lbs.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
If the engine is increased to 2.4L and a turbo is added, I think it wouldn't be under 3K lbs.
They could probably keep it na and add ported manifolds, headers, and a revised tune to bump up the power to 220ish.

Sponsored

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I'd be neat if they could keep it under 3000lbs with turbos, but you are most likely right about it being over 3000lbs.
It could also be a variation of the 2.4L which can be NA but it is still far off and they hasn't been any news regarding it. But I am still excited for it.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
They could probably keep it na and add ported manifolds, headers, and a revised tune to bump up the power to 220ish.
Or throw on the sprintex kit for a great price and get above 300whp

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Or throw on the sprintex kit for a great price and get above 300whp
Not familiar with what that is. I'll have to research. I really wanted a 86 but went with the Mustang instead. Honestly, I love this car but the mod-ability of the 86 really appeals to me.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If your plan is really to get a 18/19 GT for cheaper
The v6 are definitely out of fashion with dealers. picked a '17 up for $18k out the door with 20Kmi. I had the choice of a yellow one with auto and only 7Kmi but couldn't talk him off of 19.5K+TTL+fees.

Wow does the v6 love to spool up compared to the GT. I've driven 4 different Eco's - the only one that really worked well was a 2019 Premium in Sport+mode. A base Eco model where there are no 'modes' worked well enough but was clearly not up to the same responsiveness. The '2018 base with only 3000 miles I drove was not happy - a couple of step functions in the engine output and a lot of I4 noise but not a lot of 'go'. A tune and a couple tanks of good gas would probably have helped. It had been sitting on the dealer inventory for 6 months. Another dealer near me has a 0 mile '17 Eco with every option known to man (PP, Premium, electronic everything).

IMO if you want a I4 turbo that will fly get a GTI. I drove one last night with downpipe and a tune - holy frack! The 2015 Roush1 Mustang was positively tame and felt 'big'.

Sponsored
OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium OW 10spd
The v6 are definitely out of fashion with dealers. picked a '17 up for $18k out the door with 20Kmi. I had the choice of a yellow one with auto and only 7Kmi but couldn't talk him off of 19.5K+TTL+fees.

Wow does the v6 love to spool up compared to the GT. I've driven 4 different Eco's - the only one that really worked well was a 2019 Premium in Sport+mode. A base Eco model where there are no 'modes' worked well enough but was clearly not up to the same responsiveness. The '2018 base with only 3000 miles I drove was not happy - a couple of step functions in the engine output and a lot of I4 noise but not a lot of 'go'. A tune and a couple tanks of good gas would probably have helped. It had been sitting on the dealer inventory for 6 months. Another dealer near me has a 0 mile '17 Eco with every option known to man (PP, Premium, electronic everything).

IMO if you want a I4 turbo that will fly get a GTI. I drove one last night with downpipe and a tune - holy frack! The 2015 Roush1 Mustang was positively tame and felt 'big'.
yeah gtis with stage 2 plus are absolutely insane. the amount of power combined with the low weight really makes for a fun car. ecoboosts are great cars but suffer from serious weight problems lol. as does the gt. i can easily out handle a gt in the mountains simply because my car handles better. the gt will win through the straights but not in the corners lol

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic V6
Vehicle Showcase
I have mpt 93 tune on my v6 & I am getting at 24 mpg on the highway and 20 mpg in town
I will be changing gears soon so mpg will change a bit
I have the MPT 93PRX tune currently, with Roush CAI and AB, with Flowmaster Xpipe. I currently get an average mileage of about 24 or so, highway if i hit cruise control at 70 ill see around 35mpg average, tho my overall average is only like 18mpg since i send it all the time.

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I've posted around about my next car. I know my bio says 18 gt. Well long story but I did have one and couldn't afford it anymore. Posted about that as well. I love all Mustangs and really wanna go for another one. I have been HEAVILY contemplating a v6 or an EcoBoost. Stock for stock I understand the EcoBoost might be a better fit for some and vice versa with the v6. I'm really looking for potential in the aftermarket. The eco has more cheap and quick power gains whereas the v6 has to go forced induction for serious numbers. My goal is really just around gt numbers. 400-450 hp and prolly 400 tq. I know it's completely doable with both but I'd like input from people that have owned one or maybe have done some serious mods to theirs. Obviously the biggest difference to me is the sound. Definitely like the v6 sound more but the EcoBoost isn't half bad.
go with a 6 more stock HP from factory yet less torque (if someone wants to tell me otherwise go learn that 93 octane was used for numbers on the eco and gt yet 87 octane was used for v6 numbers). Also more room for power with out modding the block, ive seen people safely pull close to 600 crank hp with out rebuilding the engine.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
yeah a 2.3L cranking out 300HP is very near it's limit of reasonably priced performance. Notice none of the similar-sized engines from Honda, Nissan, Subaru etc. go much if any higher. A super-charger runs say 7 grand and even if the net result was 450HP that's still like $25k all-in.

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
yeah a 2.3L cranking out 300HP is very near it's limit of reasonably priced performance. Notice none of the similar-sized engines from Honda, Nissan, Subaru etc. go much if any higher. A super-charger runs say 7 grand and even if the net result was 450HP that's still like $25k all-in.
one of the guys i roll with has a big turbo 18 ecoboost and it makes in the 400s at the wheel with 500 something at crank
Sponsored