Sponsored

V6 vs EcoBoost

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium OW 10spd
So I've posted around about my next car. I know my bio says 18 gt. Well long story but I did have one and couldn't afford it anymore. Posted about that as well. I love all Mustangs and really wanna go for another one. I have been HEAVILY contemplating a v6 or an EcoBoost. Stock for stock I understand the EcoBoost might be a better fit for some and vice versa with the v6. I'm really looking for potential in the aftermarket. The eco has more cheap and quick power gains whereas the v6 has to go forced induction for serious numbers. My goal is really just around gt numbers. 400-450 hp and prolly 400 tq. I know it's completely doable with both but I'd like input from people that have owned one or maybe have done some serious mods to theirs. Obviously the biggest difference to me is the sound. Definitely like the v6 sound more but the EcoBoost isn't half bad.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If you're looking at potential, definitely the V6. There are a few turbo kits out there, including the newest by Nautilus Performance Group which is supposed to get 550hp with 13lbs of boost on 93 gas, JMP's twin kit is mid 500s on E85. Those will start at around $4500 and go up to the $7k range.

If you want more tried and true, Prochargers will get you to the 400 range as well.

edit » And D24112 has a point, but the difference is you don't need to pay it all up front like a GT. But if that's what you really want, I'd say drive a beater for as long as you can and then use the money saved to buy one. No point in going all out on the V6 if it isn't what you really want.

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The thing is I DO NOT want a gt lol. Ive had too many in my life. I want something different. But I totally get what both of you are saying. So @Nagare I see you around the v6 threads all the time and seems like you have the scoop on whats going on. The truth is a 15k lightly used v6 with a 7k turbo kit definitely blows a stock gt away and for way less than a used gt. Whats the scoop on the Nautilis turbo kit? havent heard much yet. My goal is to push stock gt to the wheels power. That was PLENTY of power for me lol

edit: I do have to say that the ecoboost has premium stuff that i like and by the time a base model v6 would be loaded with aftermarket stuff it would def cost a used gt at that point.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't seen them offer it directly on their own, but I'm sure they do. Auto Mafia Racing has it listed on their site right now starting at $5750. You still need injectors, fuel system, and tuning done on top of that cost though. This graph is one that was posted by the tuner Joey (NPG) was working with showing 548/518 on 93 gas. Stock motor too. I'd probably dial it back a bit just to be safer longer term, but that is still great power out of the kit. JMP's twin kit might spool up a bit faster, but the big single turbo is the way to go for top end power.
49763026_10156407318385141_2058827139234398208_n.jpg

Sponsored

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
jsut get a 15-17 gt and add at tune. Or if your tight on budget, get a s197 gt. Or if your really tight on budget which it seems like you are, then get a prius and save money?

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jsut get a 15-17 gt and add at tune. Or if your tight on budget, get a s197 gt. Or if your really tight on budget which it seems like you are, then get a prius and save money?
lol i literally said i dont want a gt. I have had 3. and a prius? reall? thats low lol

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
lol i literally said i dont want a gt. I have had 3. and a prius? reall? thats low lol
I don't know why you wouldnt want a gt. An eco or v6 isnt going to save you that much more money and if your worried about sound, your not going to be happy with the v6 or eco.

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know why you wouldnt want a gt. An eco or v6 isnt going to save you that much more money and if your worried about sound, your not going to be happy with the v6 or eco.
well lets see, insurance, gas mileage, dont wanna be obnoxious in my neighborhood etc. as i made a point before in the value thread-a gt is an amazing car. but its not right for everyone. ive had 3 and due to gas being 4 dollars a gallon here i really dont want a gt for that either. I dont mean to be sassy but i am not sure why me saying i dont want one is a go ahead for you to say get a gt lol.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
well lets see, insurance, gas mileage, dont wanna be obnoxious in my neighborhood etc. as i made a point before in the value thread-a gt is an amazing car. but its not right for everyone. ive had 3 and due to gas being 4 dollars a gallon here i really dont want a gt for that either. I dont mean to be sassy but i am not sure why me saying i dont want one is a go ahead for you to say get a gt lol.
Don't let the GT guys bother you. Though I understand what they are saying, I also get your position. If we are talking about V6 vs Ecoboost then let's stick with that. Since cost seems like the issue here then you need to break down your goals for the car and see what fits into your budget. Getting a turbo or supercharger is gonna run you 7k minimum when its all said and done. Unless, u build your own kit and then you would be lucky at 4.5k, but the turbo or super is just part of the build. You have to factor in suspension upgrades, interior, etc. If you were lucky enough to find a PP Ecoboost with some factory add on options you may find it comes stock with everything you want. That will leave you with more money for power builders aka buying a bigger drop in turbo with tune. The V6 on the other hand is cheaper from stand point of initial buy in, but it requires a larger investment overall. This makes sense if we see this from the viewpoint that there is not a PP v6 or additional tech upgrades to be had from the factory (plus, they dont make it anymore). Its strictly a base model ordeal. Let's just think here...7k turbo, 2k for wheel and tire setup, and 1-2k for suspension goodies. That's 11k on top of what your purchase price is and it doesn't even address personal customization. Now of course, since the entry price to get into a V6 is so much lower you get to go at your own pace and even with all that your not touching the GT in price and it's still very favorable to the Ecoboost in cost. I am biased I love the 3.7L platform. I have owned three V6s and it's not cause I couldn't afford the GT. If it were me, I would look for a rare 3.7L with the 6MT and 3.55 gear set and that would be my starting point. It would be affordable, fun, and ready to receive support from a plethora of aftermarket options without breaking the bank. But hey, like I said a PP EcoBoost at a good price is super hard to argue against too, just stay away from first year cars 2015s. Hope this gives u something to think about, cheers.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't let the GT guys bother you. Though I understand what they are saying I also get your position. If we are talking about V6 vs Ecoboost then let's stick with that. Cost seems like the issue here then you need to break down your goals for the car and see what fits your into the budget. Getting a turbo or supercharger is gonna run you 7k minimum when its all said and done unless u build your own kit and then you would be lucky at 4.5k. But the turbo or super is just part of the build. Suspension upgrades, interior, etc. If you were lucky enough to find a PP ecoboost with some add on options you may find it comes stock with everything you want and then power building is left with more money aka buying a bigger drop in turbo with tune. The V6 on the other hand is cheaper from the initial stand point but it requires a larger investment overall if we see this from the view their is not PP v6 or tech upgrades to be had from the factory. Its strictly a base model ordeal. Let's just think here...7k turbo, 2k for wheel and tire setup, and 1-2k for suspension goodies. That's 11k on top of what your purchase price is and it doesnt even address personal customization. Now of course since the entry price to get into a V6 is so much lower you go at your own pace and even with all that your not touching the GT in price and it's still very favorable to the ecoboost in cost. I am biased I love the 3.7L platform. I have owned three V6s and it's not cause I couldn't afford the GT. Me I would look for a rare 3.7L with the MT and 3.55 gear set and that would be my starting point. It would be affordable, fun, and ready to receive support from a plethora of aftermarket options without breaking the bank. But hey like I said a PP EcoBoost at a good price is super hard to argue against too, just stay away from first year cars 2015s. Hope this gives u something to think about, cheers.
thank you for your honest reply. To be completely honest-once you add up insurance, gas, and maintenance I am already at a car payment lol. Then you have to add in the car payment. For me, it's not about the budget as much as it is about trying something different. I had a 350z and that was my favorite car of all time. More so than any of the cars I owned. Why? Lighter more nimble and an engine that never stopped revving lol. Im just trying to find opinions on which platform is better. Not save up and get a gt lol. Not sure why everyone always says that.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Ok, sorry about that, i didnt read your other thread entirely. My opinion is get the eco. Its more fun to mod in the long run. I had an 15eco for a year, it was pretty fun but it did sound like absolute shit. Good luck!

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lol you say get the eco and then say it sounds like absolute shit. sounds like you didnt enjoy it much then

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
lol you say get the eco and then say it sounds like absolute shit. sounds like you didnt enjoy it much then
To be fair it does sound like poop. Though it can sound good for a four banger if the four banger is your thing and you dont try and get a loud setup.

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be fair it does sound like poop. Though it can sound good for a four banger if the four banger is your thing and you dont try and get a loud setup.
the ford by borla sport and extreme sound pretty good on the 18 ecoboost to be fair.
Sponsored