Used Ecoboost Convertible Mod Plans

paxco5280

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
I'm looking for the right Ecoboost Mustang convertible to buy but in the meantime, I've created a list of mods I think I want to do. They're in the order I plan to do them. I wanted to get some input on if I'm missing anything or if I'm going overboard on any of the plans. The car will mostly be used to drive in the mountains around Denver with no real plans to track it. Thanks for any feedback.

1. Comfort / Aesthetics
    1. Legal Limit Window Tint
    2. Kuda / ProClip Cell Phone Mount
    3. WeatherTech Floor Mats
    4. WeatherTech Cargo Liner
    5. Smoked / Silicone License Plate Cover
    6. Taillight Sequencer
    7. Light Tint Kit
    8. LED Interior & Exterior Bulbs
    9. Custom Steering Wheel
  2. General Mods
    1. ForScan
      1. ForScan Hacks
      2. ForScan Home
  3. Suspension / Brakes / Wheels / Tires
    1. TSW NURBURGRING Wheels
    2. Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS06
    3. EBC Stage 5 Brake Kit
    4. Mono MAXX Coilover Kit
    5. Steeda G-TRAC K-Member
    6. Steeda Jacking Rails
    7. Steeda Strut Tower Brace
  4. Engine Performance
    1. Injen Front Intercooler
    2. Injen Cold Air Intake System
    3. Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-Back Exhaust System
    4. Livernois Tune
Sponsored

OP
OP

paxco5280

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Ignore the ForScan links. They're copied from my list of F150 mods. The vert is going to be a weekend and summer toy since I have a daily driver

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Cobb tune, pick your stage or get a custom tune if you feel the need
Larger intercooler
Cold air and charge pipes
Catled down pipe with GT mufflers, or cat backs
Manual will be more fun to drive, but at least A10 automatic
If you get car to loud you will not enjoy driving with top down
High quality Steeda shocks and struts, minium drop. 20 mm spacers
Rock guards for fenders
Light color interior
Really good sunglasses, hat that doesn't fly off, and a passenger who likes the same music that you do

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
Nice list :thumbsup:
I have legal tint and now thinking about going darker just for the look when parked. Reason is 99% it’s top down and the popo won’t think about it if they don see it right?
I went with the kuda for the phone mount, just looks cleaner. I have the SoCal steering wheel and it is a Quality wheel.

For the rest of your list, I think it comes down to personal preference. Any suspension part that helps stiffen the roll on these verts is a bonus.

As @Interceptor said, rock guards. I had the CPC ones but have since changed to the rokblok. Just a better fitting with no double sided tape to fail.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Maybe lesser models don't have it, but mine came with it from the factory. I have the sequential turn signals and I thought that all S-550 mustangs had it from the factory. I know I have seen V6's, ecoboosts, and GT's with it. I've been behind them and watched the sequential turn signals in action.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Why not just buy a Vette? You are planning on spending thousands on mods and in the end, you still have a big, heavy car.

OP
OP

paxco5280

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Why not just buy a Vette? You are planning on spending thousands on mods and in the end, you still have a big, heavy car.
I guess you have a point to some degree. I really am not a fan of GMs but maybe they've improved their build quality over the years. I like the looks of the Mustang more and I figured I'd do these mods over time vs spending it all at once on the purchase of a Vette. I've looked at 370Zs but their top issues scare me and I've thought about BMW Z4s but don't love them. I'm really looking for a fun ride to go through the mountains on the weekends and thought a Mustang that I could modify over time would be a fun option.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
'18 and newer have sequential turn signals and are like 95% LED lighting and the A10 automatic. Only things I can think of that aren't LED are vanity, map and reverse lights. I dislike LED vanity lights and the map lights not being blinding don't bother me. The reverse light is an easy bulb swap. For me the trunk and engine bay are too dark but adding strip LEDs to both helps a lot.
A couple other worthwhile mods are jacking rails and hood struts.
The SmartTop module adds features the car should have came with .

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I guess you have a point to some degree. I really am not a fan of GMs but maybe they've improved their build quality over the years. I like the looks of the Mustang more and I figured I'd do these mods over time vs spending it all at once on the purchase of a Vette. I've looked at 370Zs but their top issues scare me and I've thought about BMW Z4s but don't love them. I'm really looking for a fun ride to go through the mountains on the weekends and thought a Mustang that I could modify over time would be a fun option.
I was in a similar situation a year ago, looking for a nice convertible with some muscle and handling. I'm not a huge Vette fan and the other cars you mentioned do not interest me either. So I bought a used Mustang GT convertible. It's big and heavy... much more so than what I'm used to. There are lots of 2 lane twisty scenic roads around here, but they were more fun in a smaller car. So, I have only driven it 900 miles in over a year. Seems a shame, as it's really a nice car and an excellent value. But, I just can't get used to the size.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The OP is looking for an EcoBoost. From every thing I've read the weight difference between the v8 and eb makes the handling noticeably better. Not saying it's not still a heavy car but maybe more manageable.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The OP is looking for an EcoBoost. From every thing I've read the weight difference between the v8 and eb makes the handling noticeably better. Not saying it's not still a heavy car but maybe more manageable.
I've driven both in convertible form. I don't think the weight is that much different and it is still substantial. But, the size is my biggest issue. No matter how you slice it, it is still over 15' long and close to 2 tons, with a very long nose. There are better choices for spirited driving on mountain roads. That's all I'm trying to point out.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Suspension / Brakes / Wheels / Tires
  1. TSW NURBURGRING Wheels
  2. Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS06
  3. EBC Stage 5 Brake Kit
  4. Mono MAXX Coilover Kit
  5. Steeda G-TRAC K-Member
  6. Steeda Jacking Rails
  7. Steeda Strut Tower Brace

The GT's have bracing that the Ecoboost lacks.

Ford makes a top K-brace and firewall reinforcement that will help the Steeda strut tower back stiffen your chassis up top.

The Steeda lower G-TRAC K-Member will help with stiffness. I have their simpler version and wish I had this version instead. Not sure if you need the lower Ford K brace that came with my car-your money may be better spent elsewhere.

Remember...Before adding fancy suspensions, you want the basic chassis as stiff as possible so that your springs do the flexing, not the frame.

The manufacturers do not advertise that the jacking rails stiffen the frame. If they did, I would buy the for that purpose. They are made for changing tires and making repairs. They may help with chassis stiffness-I have not seen data one way or the other.

CVCashmere

Ho Lee Chit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Ragtop
'18 and newer have sequential turn signals and are like 95% LED lighting and the A10 automatic. Only things I can think of that aren't LED are vanity, map and reverse lights. I dislike LED vanity lights and the map lights not being blinding don't bother me. The reverse light is an easy bulb swap. For me the trunk and engine bay are too dark but adding strip LEDs to both helps a lot.
A couple other worthwhile mods are jacking rails and hood struts.
The SmartTop module adds features the car should have came with .

My ‘17 has sequential turn signals, but they are not LED. Transmission is an A6, but it’s fine for me. After all I grew up driving Mustangs with C4 3spd automatic.
I do fully agree with the hood struts and Steeda jacking rails. The jacking rails sure do keep floor jacks from denting or worse crushing the bottom of the rocker panels. The struts make working in the engine bay a lot easier than working around the crappy hood prop. Look a lot nicer too.