Sponsored

Questions about an ecoboost convertible order

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I'm about to place an order and have a couple of questions. Background.... I've had two Honda Accords since 2001, last one a 4 cyl I've had for over 10 years. I owned a mustang 4 cyl back in '87... no turbo (it was an older car, I was in high school). I've been in Japanese cars since 1989...

Anyway, I want to place my order on an EB convertible Mustang:

1. Is there a huge difference in gears when going up to the 3.55? I don't care about gas, only performance of the auto vs. manual in the 3.55 gears. Is there a huge difference?

More info to help answer the question:

I care more about 0-30/0-60/0-80... I won't be going over 80 or 85 many times so I don't care about top end. I normally drive the "flow of traffic".

I have a manual but do a lot of driving in the city so I was thinking of a auto this time around. If there is a slight advantage in going manual, I could do that though.

I'm not going to get the performance pack. I won't "flash" the car for better performance.

I was looking to purchase a used convertible Mercedes, Q60, or BMW... but I can get a new car cheaper (the merc I wanted was 49k used, for example). A nice car with great sound. New car warranty, etc.

Why mustang? I've test drove several new 2015 mustangs... the interior is light years ahead of what it was before and the drive is fantastic. The upgraded sound system is killer! I was blown away... never thought I would consider a Mustang.

Hopefully I'll purchase and be around for a while.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
For two grand extra the performance package is well worth it, and what it comes with has nothing to do with flashing. If 0-60 times are important to you then the pp comes with the 3.55 gears anyway. By themselves the gears are 400 bucks so for an extra 1500 with the pp you gain the 19" wheels, better brakes, etc.

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
I vote for auto if 0-60 times are important to you. Auto will allow the turbo to keep the boost up during shifts but with the manual you will loose boost as soon as you lift your leg off of the gas to shift gears. +1 on getting the PP

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
Get the Performance Pack if you care about Performance makes a big difference..I enjoyed the manual alot more too but thats personal preference and depended on what type of driving your going to do..I felt you can really take advantage of the 3.55 gears more with the manual.

OP
OP

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I vote for auto if 0-60 times are important to you. Auto will allow the turbo to keep the boost up during shifts but with the manual you will loose boost as soon as you lift your leg off of the gas to shift gears. +1 on getting the PP
I went back and test drove the auto and manual with PP and those without.

I'm definitely getting the auto without PP. I could not "feel" a difference in PP. The power on the auto felt smoother.

For fun the dealer had me drive a v8 (manual) to see if I could "feel" a difference... and boy did I ever. Not enough to make me want to get a v8 though.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Get the Performance Pack if you care about Performance makes a big difference..I enjoyed the manual alot more too but thats personal preference and depended on what type of driving your going to do..I felt you can really take advantage of the 3.55 gears more with the manual.
I do a lot of city driving now... while going to the dealer I got stuck in traffic... with my manual.

After test driving the auto, I definitely know I want an auto now. If this were a weekend car or country driving, I agree, a stick would be a lot of fun.

OP
OP

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
For two grand extra the performance package is well worth it, and what it comes with has nothing to do with flashing. If 0-60 times are important to you then the pp comes with the 3.55 gears anyway. By themselves the gears are 400 bucks so for an extra 1500 with the pp you gain the 19" wheels, better brakes, etc.
I actually don't like those wheels on the PP... and the tires are summer, which don't help me in DC. Sure I could change the tires out... but the rims I'd have to sell as well.

I actually like the optional five spoke rims... plus it seems like to me they will be easier to clean.

AlphaQueu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2019 RR Ecoboost Premium
If you get the PP and still don't like the wheels I'd be happy to trade my five spokes for them! :D

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
Well good luck with your purchase and enjoy your new car. :)
Sponsored