BEST MODS TO TIGHTEN UP THE CONVERTIBLE

Jrod9707

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible manual
Maybe I should have just led with this instead of just asking about a few BMR products. Just curious what some of you have done to tighten up the "feel" for your convertible. Trying to figure out the best mods to start with and the differences it made to your vert.
Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I was amazed/disappointed just how sloppy the car was in the corners and braking/launch. I opted for the Steeda progressive springs and upgraded sway bars and it made a world of difference. No longer does it dive or lift on stops and starts, and its really planted in the curves. No regrets and no urge to mod any further.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The suspension on non PP cars is way too soft, which gives that floaty wallowing feeling. Easy enough to fix with better shock and struts, but I believe your talking about the chassis.

The Chassis is actually very good, mine is supporting close to 800whp with a couple mods. I'd certainly start with the CB10 cradle lock out kit and CB006 K brace(or Steeda equivalents) . With those 2 mods I'm really happy with my chassis for my street car.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I have to agree. The chassis is quite amazing, otherwise I would have vetoed my wife's preference for the vert. Mine is an 18 PP1 and the only handling mods are cb010, SP763, and going to a square 10" wheel set-up for summer. Were mine a 15-17 or non PP1 probably would do the FRPP Track shocks.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I was amazed/disappointed just how sloppy the car was in the corners and braking/launch. I opted for the Steeda progressive springs and upgraded sway bars and it made a world of difference. No longer does it dive or lift on stops and starts, and its really planted in the curves. No regrets and no urge to mod any further.
I added the Steeda rear braces and 2 point G trac brace up front, and my car seems slightly more planted. I've never heard anything bad about their springs. They would def be on my short list to consider if I wanted to go lower.

OP, the convertible is going to be another animal and I imagine any chassis stiffening you could do would help considerably more than with a hardtop car. Literally the floorpan area has all the duty of resisting body flex front to back on a vert.

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
OP, the convertible is going to be another animal and I imagine any chassis stiffening you could do would help considerably more than with a hardtop car. Literally the floorpan area has all the duty of resisting body flex front to back on a vert.
The S550 was designed from the ground up as a convertible. There is a ton of extra bracing not found in the coupe.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
The S550 was designed from the ground up as a convertible. There is a ton of extra bracing not found in the coupe.
I would like to hear more about the extra bracing. I already have the top strut bar, top K brace, lower U brace-all from Ford.

What else did they do for convertibles?

thanks

CVCashmere

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
That is a great picture!

I know that subframe well as we had to loosen it to upgrade my rear sway bar.

i was wondering if there were actual metal parts that are welded into places like the wheel wells, etc. besides the bolt-on pieces that came from the factory.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

CVCashmere

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
That is a great picture!

I know that subframe well as we had to loosen it to upgrade my rear sway bar.

i was wondering if there were actual metal parts that are welded into places like the wheel wells, etc. besides the bolt-on pieces that came from the factory.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

CVCashmere
That 2nd post refers to extra welded frame cross brace which allows the rear bolt-on brace to connect.

I dont have a comprehensive answer for all the details. I know my car came with many of the braces you added like the k-brace and strut tower plus additional both welded and bolt-on but some of that was due to PP1.

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
The only PP bracing that I know I do not have is the 2 pieces that tie the oversized radiator to the frame.

That seems like too much bother to install if you do not have the oversized radiator. If there other pieces not what I mentioned...I would be interested.

This is good stuff we are learning about.

Thanks

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Vert Premium "Grabber Blue"
I find that there is some cowl shake in my car. It is noticeable when looking out the rearview mirror while hitting bumps. Especially at an angle. If any of you have ever driven a Miata, then you know what a solid chassis is in a vert! The Mustang is fair, but not great! Still better than my "Loosey goosey" '88 GT though! I would think that tightening up the chassis would be priority over any suspension upgrades, no? So, what works to eliminate that shake? anything out there yet?

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
Mike

Your vert should already have the upper K brace, strut bar, and firewall reinforcement that mounts to the K bar.

Below, it should have the K brace surrounding the oil filter.

Be sure you have all these components from the factory.

So...add a 1 piece Steeda bar connecting the lower arms or a more complex k bracing from several sources. i like Steeda, but there are others out there too that are also fine.

CVCashmere

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
The op have a 2016, they changed a lot since 2018. I have had a 2016 and now a 2018 and there is a good difference

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
I have a 2017 GT Performance Pack - I've fitted a BMR CB006 subframe brace, J&M jacking rails, Steeda rear bushing supports and alignment kit, along with the Ford Performance street spring kit.

It drives fantastically, a real noticable difference compared to stock. I drove a couple of 18' Ecoboost (non perf pack) verts while I was over in California for a holiday recently - those were quite soft in the body by comparison. Interestingly I drove an 18' Camaro rental also, the Camaro vert was extremely rigid.
Sponsored