Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think it has anything to do with heat. It has to do with waiting for the oil to drain down into the pan for an accurate reading.
Tried that, but my oil is so clean, it's very hard to see. I just go by the holes. If there's oil in one or both, I know it's good.
Use sand paper, dull the surface, helps .

GTIIIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
I have found that if you pull the dipstick straight out, then you can get an accurate reading. The way I do that is to pull the dipstick just a short way out-enough to get it routed to the front side of the brace- and then keep pulling it out with your hands down close to the engine, and not holding on to it at the end. That way, it maintains the dipstick in the middle of the tube and doesn't drag on the sides which is what I believe smears the correct level reading. Hope this made sense.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's probably why the wonderful folks who wrote the manual said to check whether the lower hole has oil in it, rather than trying to discern where the upper boundary line between oil and no oil was. They knew you couldn't do it reliably. The vehicle engineers put holes in the GT350 dipstick and the manual tells you how to use them.

Look at the photo from the OP's post:

1611516760207.png

Even though oil has run down the edge of the dipstick, it hasn't entered the upper hole. However, the lower hole is full of oil because it's been immersed in oil down in the oil pan.

Verdict: the engine oil level is "full" as far as the owner's manual is concerned.
That's a marvellous idea! It has never occurred to me to use those holes like that. I tried it now, and it works a treat. I can definitely see oil in the lower hole, I can see oil on the dipstick above the lower hole, though the actual line is a blur. Where the oil level actually is, is anyone's guess. I can, however, see clearly that there's no oil in the upper hole. So I'm good. Problem solved.
Thanks! :beer:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
That's a marvellous idea! It has never occurred to me to use those holes like that. I tried it now, and it works a treat. I can definitely see oil in the lower hole, I can see oil on the dipstick above the lower hole, though the actual line is a blur. Where the oil level actually is, is anyone's guess. I can, however, see clearly that there's no oil in the upper hole. So I'm good. Problem solved.
Thanks! :beer:
So you have a 350 dip stick, was that an option ? LMAO. The holes are a point of reference. The oil trace seen above/below it, is the level .

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I can definitely see oil in the lower hole, I can see oil on the dipstick above the lower hole, though the actual line is a blur. Where the oil level actually is, is anyone's guess. I can, however, see clearly that there's no oil in the upper hole.
same here. told tech to put 10qts in w/ filter change. Dip stick had no oil in lower hole. Got jug back from tech, only 1/2qt missing instead of 2. damn them to hell, they had only put 8.5 in.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
RTFM :like:

(Hoping this would push this thread to 5 pages :clap:)
I think like most of us, I make a valid effort to not be a jerk, respect peoples questions regardless of how many times it's been asked or how silly it is. Heck, I've probably deleted or walked away from more replies on this website than I've actually posted. But I am beside myself that this is the topic it is, and that this thread is 5 pages long. A-Mazing. Amazing the insignificant amount of oil that's being debated on the stick.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I think like most of us, I make a valid effort to not be a jerk, respect peoples questions regardless of how many times it's been asked or how silly it is. Heck, I've probably deleted or walked away from more replies on this website than I've actually posted. But I am beside myself that this is the topic it is, and that this thread is 5 pages long. A-Mazing. Amazing the insignificant amount of oil that's being debated on the stick.
Hahaha
Wondering if the topic has anything to do with the average age of GT350 owners. I’m 62 and not to proud to wear my glasses ;-)

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
So we’re on the same page then....

I remember when “RTFM” was a common response here and no-one took exception so I guess I got to get with the times.

My apologies to you or any others I might have offended.

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Hey Guys, not sure if anyone had been following, but my engine blew up because of a dropped valve.

However, the dealer swapped the engine and I've been driving my car for a week. Before I picked it up, I checked the oil and it was exactly between the two holes.

I checked it again this morning and it was clearly overfilled. Maybe they had run the car before I checked it at the dealership and the oil didn't have to drain back to the pan. When I checked it today, it was after the car was standing overnight.

I have attached some pictures below. Does this look acceptable? I would hate for oil to find it's way to the crank, foam up and blow another engine.

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_2495.JPG

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase