Unable to read oil level - GT350

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Yes if you check it in the morning all the oil that easily drains down will be in the pan. This helps you get a better reading and there is less variation. If you check it shortly after running the engine, oil is still splashed everywhere, still up in the valvetrain, etc.

For seeing where the oil is, I just use indirect light and tip the dipstick until the reflection is in the right spot to make the oil level easier to see. You want a strong light but you don't want it shining directly on the dipstick.
^^^^THIS^^^^works for me each and every time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Looks like there's oil all over it. Wipe it off, stick it back in the hole until it's fully seated, pull it back out and check it again. My advice is to check it when the car is completely cold and all the oil has settled.
Pull car in park it, pull the dip stick, clean, replace it. Come back when cold & check.
When you check the oil in the morning before you start the car is that an accurate measurement?

I don't really know how the intricate details of the dipstick and oil
I did wipe it off, re-insert and measure - and this was taken when the engine was cold - after the car was sitting for over a day!

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Can you take a pic with deep stick holding down instead of up. When did you take the measurement? The manual said at least 15 min after parking the car. I have no problem reading my oil.

IMG_0578.jpg
Kinda confused. I can't tell if you are reading it wrong then? I don't know if you have it like that for a picture or because that is how you are reading it. I feel like your are tilting it up which is messing it up.

Like you are supposed to read it as if the spiral is the down position. so as long as there's oil filling up that last hole you'll be good.

Its hard to do it when the engine is hot but I'd check it while it's cold.
That is just how my phone was oriented when I took the shot. In the pics I posted before - I was holding it horizontally. I took the reading when the engine was stone cold. It was sitting for over a day.

I took another picture today morning with the stick pointing downwards, but still the same - oil coats the entire stick on one side:
unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
This car challenges your dipstick abilities for sure. You're not the first to have trouble. I have spent more time checking, rechecking, trying different angles and techniques with this car than all my other cars combined. It's not easy.
@MNGT350 I know, right! I've been doing it since I got the car, and I've struggled every time.

Not sure why your stick is so dark. I pull the stick from the windshield side of the cross support bar. You have to sneak your hand down in there, but it helps to get a clean pull.
@key01 I just noticed it's color after you mentioned it. I have no idea why it's that dark - even compared to @lenFeb 's dipstick. I'll try pulling it out from the windshield side, but it might be a tight squeeze.

I have to agree that this one is tougher to read then most. You're doing it the right way of course :). Best recco I have based on experience is to make sure you have as much light as possible - direct or bright sun - much easier to see that way.
@dps Thank you :) Yeah my car is parked in an underground garage, so I just try to see the reflection from the lights there.

Pull car in park it, pull the dip stick, clean, replace it. Come back when cold & check.
I did just that! :(

I was having this problem and cleaned the dipstick with parts cleanser before re-inserting it and the oil seems to cling to it better and in a more uniformed manner.
@Rubyred17 parts cleanser? which one did you use? And was your dipstick as dark as mine before you used the parts cleanser?

Yes if you check it in the morning all the oil that easily drains down will be in the pan. This helps you get a better reading and there is less variation. If you check it shortly after running the engine, oil is still splashed everywhere, still up in the valvetrain, etc.

For seeing where the oil is, I just use indirect light and tip the dipstick until the reflection is in the right spot to make the oil level easier to see. You want a strong light but you don't want it shining directly on the dipstick.
@Hack Yes, this was checked almost a day after the car ran, so I'm assuming the oil had enough time to drain down to the pan. The pictures were taken using the basement's indirect light, but I'm still not sure why one side of the stick is fully coated and the other side isn't.

Another thing I wanted to ask y'all - when I look at the back side of the dipstick - there is a really distinct dry line right below the upper hole. You can see it in the picture below. Is that the 'real' oil level? Can the rear side of the dipstick be used as well, or do we have to take the reading from the side with the crosshatch pattern?
unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Exactly what Rapid said, each time you pull it out it's going to coat the tube just a little which results to an inaccurate read. Even that little amount on the tube can be a pain. My suggestion is what rapid said earlier... just come back the following morning and clean it, stick it in, and pop it out slightly but WAIT. Reach from the back of the strut bar and pull it out so that it comes out neater. it works for me... don't ask. obviously hold the dip stick's bottom aimed towards the ground so the oil doesn't flow the other direction causing another incorrect read.

from the picture, it looks like your holding it horizontally so that's fine too.
Makes sense! and those traces along the tube just smear the stick every time.

I haven't tried taking it out from behind the strut bar! It seemed a bit too tight - but that makes sense too. maybe it comes out straighter than taking it out of the front of the car, not smearing the stick as much.

I was holding the stick horizontally yesterday. I posted a couple of more pics above where I was pointing the stick straight down.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
After 20 responses I can’t help but believe there is something real strange going on here. I mean really?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
@MNGT350 I know, right! I've been doing it since I got the car, and I've struggled every time.

@key01 I just noticed it's color after you mentioned it. I have no idea why it's that dark - even compared to @lenFeb 's dipstick. I'll try pulling it out from the windshield side, but it might be a tight squeeze.

@dps Thank you :) Yeah my car is parked in an underground garage, so I just try to see the reflection from the lights there.

@Rubyred17 parts cleanser? which one did you use? And was your dipstick as dark as mine before you used the parts cleanser?

@Hack Yes, this was checked almost a day after the car ran, so I'm assuming the oil had enough time to drain down to the pan. The pictures were taken using the basement's indirect light, but I'm still not sure why one side of the stick is fully coated and the other side isn't.

Another thing I wanted to ask y'all - when I look at the back side of the dipstick - there is a really distinct dry line right below the upper hole. You can see it in the picture below. Is that the 'real' oil level? Can the rear side of the dipstick be used as well, or do we have to take the reading from the side with the crosshatch pattern?
unnamed.jpg
I see oil level it is just below the top hole hole

Retracting the sharpie post, forgot the dip stick was black, that works for chrome.

Give this a shot 600 grit sandpaper, scrub the hashmark area make it bright.

IMG_0081.jpeg

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's way simpler than it seems. Basically, Ford says "if the oil's above the lower hole and below the upper hole, it's full. So, if there's oil in the lower hole, you've checked the oil and you can get on your way.

Here's how to read the dipstick (borrowed from another post on this forum):

1611424959909.png

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I think many are confused by what the OP is asking.

It seems to me that he is asking help with figuring out why oil is smeared on one edge of the dipstick making it virtually impossible to get an accurate reading of the oil level.

I have the same issue from time to time with my car. It can be super frustrating to read the dip stick on this car.

I think if you pull the dipstick from BEHIND the strut tower brace like others have suggested you wont get as much oil smeared on the edge of the dipstick.

I picked up another tip from reading the thread, that is to try and get a good reading the first one or two times I pull the dipstick to avoid coating the inside of the tube with oil.

Thank you for that tip.

OP, The rear of my oil stick will also show that distinct dry line. It's ok to use that as your mark, it does not have to be on the crosshatch pattern side.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

unnamed.jpg
I used a can of "brake & parts clean" I had sitting around. No, my stick is much lighter. I know this is not ideal but I would replace the dipstick

Dan

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I see oil level it is just below the top hole hole

Retracting the sharpie post, forgot the dip stick was black, that works for chrome.

Give this a shot 600 grit sandpaper, scrub the hashmark area make it bright.

IMG_0081.jpeg
Is that the same dip stick from the GT350? What happened to the spiral thing

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I think many are confused by what the OP is asking.

It seems to me that he is asking help with figuring out why oil is smeared on one edge of the dipstick making it virtually impossible to get an accurate reading of the oil level.

I have the same issue from time to time with my car. It can be super frustrating to read the dip stick on this car.

I think if you pull the dipstick from BEHIND the strut tower brace like others have suggested you wont get as much oil smeared on the edge of the dipstick.

I picked up another tip from reading the thread, that is to try and get a good reading the first one or two times I pull the dipstick to avoid coating the inside of the tube with oil.

Thank you for that tip.

OP, The rear of my oil stick will also show that distinct dry line. It's ok to use that as your mark, it does not have to be on the crosshatch pattern side.
Yeah I was pretty confused lol

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Is that the same dip stick from the GT350? What happened to the spiral thing
No, it's the Coyote motor, I will assume the spiral/twist you refer to is the tip.

Most likely all Ford motors have the same, lenght could change.

If confused yes it is there, look closer at the picture, curves CW.

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
Try pulling the dipstick and wipe it when you park it for the day and DO NOT reinsert it into the tube. Lay a rag over the tube so nothing floats or crawls into the dipstick tube and let it sit overnight. Next day reinsert the dipstick and pull back out and check the level.
There should be no residual oil in the tube at that point to smear one side of the tube so it should be a good clean pull when you check it.
I think the angle at which the dipstick is pulled and the fact that the spiral on the end “drags” a lot of oil up the tube has a lot to do with the issues.

Ken
Sponsored