Sponsored

Unable to read oil level - GT350

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
It's the angle its pulled out. I've noticed the faster I do it, the less it smears.
Sponsored

Zuess765

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I think the issue here for the person that started the thread is possibly the fact that you burned a lot of oil and your oil level is dangerously low. From the pictures it looks like there is zero oil on your dip stick when you pull it out. I agree its a little hard to see the oil level but if you look close you can see it no problem.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Try pulling the dipstick and wipe it when you park it for the day and DO NOT reinsert it into the tube. Lay a rag over the tube so nothing floats or crawls into the dipstick tube and let it sit overnight. Next day reinsert the dipstick and pull back out and check the level.
There should be no residual oil in the tube at that point to smear one side of the tube so it should be a good clean pull when you check it.
I think the angle at which the dipstick is pulled and the fact that the spiral on the end “drags” a lot of oil up the tube has a lot to do with the issues.

Ken
I think your onto something there with the fact it has that spiral on the end dragging oil. I'll bet if it would have been straight tipped this issue wouldn't happen.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I have a hell of a time reading the oil level on the dipstick. It is such a pain in the ass to get to too.

I might try scuffing up the back side with some sandpaper and see if that will help me see the oil level. I will try that later today and report back.

Crazy it should be that hard to read the damn dipstick!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I think your onto something there with the fact it has that spiral on the end dragging oil. I'll bet if it would have been straight tipped this issue wouldn't happen.

Could always cut it off, will not affect the reading.

Have a different take on that

DipStick 1.1

Spiral may/could wipe the tube going back in. Clearing some of the residual, left behind when removed.

Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could always cut it off, will not affect the reading.

Have a different take on that

DipStick 1.1

Spiral may/could wipe the tube going back in. Clearing some of the residual, left behind when removed.
Yup that's also a possibility

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm still baffled about how the simple instructions in the Owner's Supplement seem to be so hard to follow:

1611511640350.png

If the lower hole has oil in it and the upper one doesn't, you're done. If the lower hole has no oil, add some so it does.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm still baffled about how the simple instructions in the Owner's Supplement seem to be so hard to follow:

1611511640350.png

If the lower hole has oil in it and the upper one doesn't, you're done. If the lower hole has no oil, add some so it does.
Well because wiping clean after removing and inserting it and removing again doesn't always work. The angle you have to remove it makes it want to drag the sides of the tube which is how the oil gets all along the side of the dipstick. Those a**holes that wrote the manual probably never even tried to check the oil on a GT 350 with that tower brace blocking you from pulling it directly out.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Never had a problem with this.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I think the issue here for the person that started the thread is possibly the fact that you burned a lot of oil and your oil level is dangerously low. From the pictures it looks like there is zero oil on your dip stick when you pull it out. I agree its a little hard to see the oil level but if you look close you can see it no problem.
Are you serious? The oil levels look fine to me

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Well because wiping clean after removing and inserting it and removing again doesn't always work. The angle you have to remove it makes it want to drag the sides of the tube which is how the oil gets all along the side of the dipstick. Those a**holes that wrote the manual probably never even tried to check the oil on a GT 350 with that tower brace blocking you from pulling it directly out.
That's probably why the wonderful folks who wrote the manual said to check whether the lower hole has oil in it, rather than trying to discern where the upper boundary line between oil and no oil was. They knew you couldn't do it reliably. The vehicle engineers put holes in the GT350 dipstick and the manual tells you how to use them.

Look at the photo from the OP's post:

1611516760207.png

Even though oil has run down the edge of the dipstick, it hasn't entered the upper hole. However, the lower hole is full of oil because it's been immersed in oil down in the oil pan.

Verdict: the engine oil level is "full" as far as the owner's manual is concerned.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
That's probably why the wonderful folks who wrote the manual said to check whether the lower hole has oil in it, rather than trying to discern where the upper boundary line between oil and no oil was. They knew you couldn't do it reliably. The vehicle engineers put holes in the GT350 dipstick and the manual tells you how to use them.

Even though oil has run down the edge of the dipstick, it hasn't entered the upper hole. However, the lower hole is full of oil because it's been immersed in oil down in the oil pan.

Verdict: the engine oil level is "full" as far as the owner's manual is concerned.
That is what I thought but people are saying all sorts of different things lol

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is what I thought but people are saying all sorts of different things lol
Not as far as I'm concerned on not only these cars but every vehicle I've had if at the full mark IS FULL anything below that ISN'T full. At the bottom hole is a quart low. And as bad as a lot of these use oil when I had both of mine I sure as hell didn't want to wait till they were a quart low to put oil in them. Not that they had to be full all the time but when you get to that bottom hole it could be pretty quick that you have a problem.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

1611516760207.png

Needs easily a quart or 2 & an oil change ?

I read the post but must have missed something. What are you saying about the first hole, being full?
Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 6.48.29 PM.png

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Needs easily a quart or 2 & an oil change ?

I read the post but must have missed something. What are you saying about the first hole, being full?
Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 6.48.29 PM.png
Hmmm - it looked full to me. I didn't bother trying to enhance the be sure if it's full or not. My point was that when you're standing there looking at the dipstick in your hands, you can tell 100% of the time whether the lower hole has oil in it.
Sponsored