PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Hey Folks!

Had a quick question about the GT350's oil dipstick. Due to the way oil sticks to the dipstick I've always had a hard time reading the amount of oil in the engine, but I seem to be having a particularly hard time now.

If you see the attached pictures, oil seems to be clinging onto one edge of the dipstick and not on the other. How can I find out the oil level like this? Am I doing something wrong? I pull out the dipstick, wipe it, put it back and then pull it out to check the reading.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance 😊

Pat
IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg
Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
If the oil is between the two holes then you are good. If its below the bottom one then you need oil.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Hey @RPDBlueMoon !

I get that, but the issue is that the oil is smeared in a way that the level is different on either edge of the dipstick. If you see the first picture, the oil goes way above the top hole of the stick on one side, and below the bottom hole on the other.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Can you take a pic with deep stick holding down instead of up. When did you take the measurement? The manual said at least 15 min after parking the car. I have no problem reading my oil.

IMG_0578.jpg

Last edited:

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
This car challenges your dipstick abilities for sure. You're not the first to have trouble. I have spent more time checking, rechecking, trying different angles and techniques with this car than all my other cars combined. It's not easy.

Sponsored

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Not sure why your stick is so dark. I pull the stick from the windshield side of the cross support bar. You have to sneak your hand down in there, but it helps to get a clean pull.

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
I have to agree that this one is tougher to read then most. You're doing it the right way of course :). Best recco I have based on experience is to make sure you have as much light as possible - direct or bright sun - much easier to see that way.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Looks like there's oil all over it. Wipe it off, stick it back in the hole until it's fully seated, pull it back out and check it again. My advice is to check it when the car is completely cold and all the oil has settled.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Pull car in park it, pull the dip stick, clean, replace it. Come back when cold & check.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @RPDBlueMoon !

I get that, but the issue is that the oil is smeared in a way that the level is different on either edge of the dipstick. If you see the first picture, the oil goes way above the top hole of the stick on one side, and below the bottom hole on the other.
Kinda confused. I can't tell if you are reading it wrong then? I don't know if you have it like that for a picture or because that is how you are reading it. I feel like your are tilting it up which is messing it up.

Like you are supposed to read it as if the spiral is the down position. so as long as there's oil filling up that last hole you'll be good.

Its hard to do it when the engine is hot but I'd check it while it's cold.

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like there's oil all over it. Wipe it off, stick it back in the hole until it's fully seated, pull it back out and check it again. My advice is to check it when the car is completely cold and all the oil has settled.
When you check the oil in the morning before you start the car is that an accurate measurement?

I don't really know how the intricate details of the dipstick and oil

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @RPDBlueMoon !

The oil will coat the tube as the stick is pulled out. The more the stick is pulled out and replace, the wetter the inside of the tube, the result oil level hard to read.

Reading the oil level is hard when new cause it is clear. Using a sharpie, blacken the grid, clean the dip stick first, lacquer thinner or acetone. A black surface will show a liquid better than a bright surface that reflects.

Last edited:

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Exactly what Rapid said, each time you pull it out it's going to coat the tube just a little which results to an inaccurate read. Even that little amount on the tube can be a pain. My suggestion is what rapid said earlier... just come back the following morning and clean it, stick it in, and pop it out slightly but WAIT. Reach from the back of the strut bar and pull it out so that it comes out neater. it works for me... don't ask. obviously hold the dip stick's bottom aimed towards the ground so the oil doesn't flow the other direction causing another incorrect read.

from the picture, it looks like your holding it horizontally so that's fine too.

Last edited:

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hey Folks!

Had a quick question about the GT350's oil dipstick. Due to the way oil sticks to the dipstick I've always had a hard time reading the amount of oil in the engine, but I seem to be having a particularly hard time now.

If you see the attached pictures, oil seems to be clinging onto one edge of the dipstick and not on the other. How can I find out the oil level like this? Am I doing something wrong? I pull out the dipstick, wipe it, put it back and then pull it out to check the reading.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance 😊

Pat
IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg
I was having this problem and cleaned the dipstick with parts cleanser before re-inserting it and the oil seems to cling to it better and in a more uniformed manner.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
When you check the oil in the morning before you start the car is that an accurate measurement?

I don't really know how the intricate details of the dipstick and oil
Yes if you check it in the morning all the oil that easily drains down will be in the pan. This helps you get a better reading and there is less variation. If you check it shortly after running the engine, oil is still splashed everywhere, still up in the valvetrain, etc.

For seeing where the oil is, I just use indirect light and tip the dipstick until the reflection is in the right spot to make the oil level easier to see. You want a strong light but you don't want it shining directly on the dipstick.
Sponsored