TrackSpec S550 Hood Vents

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
FGX XR8 and 2016 Mustang GT, Both supercharged
Finally fitted my spare hood I modded with Trackspec Louvers, glad I got rid of that hideous non-functional Roush scoop.

Before and after. Took the Stang out for a drive, was surprised at how much heat vented once I parked her. First impressions are they work rather well. Overall happy with the overall functionality and aggressive, yet understated look.

C5E35CBE-991A-43BA-AFB5-CE468F8BCAF5.jpg

A730E6AD-F7D1-4E04-A602-4FCB130F2799.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Finally fitted my spare hood I modded with Trackspec Louvers, glad I got rid of that hideous non-functional Roush scoop.

Before and after. Took the Stang out for a drive, was surprised at how much heat vented once I parked her. First impressions are they work rather well. Overall happy with the overall functionality and aggressive, yet understated look.
Nice job Phillip. Looks way better.

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
Nice job Phillip. Looks way better.
Cheers Mate, I am quite happy with the result, it looks very nice and clean.

I actually like the fact that they sit a bit proud, as my hood is the non-vented factory 2016 model. Of course it was a bit more work to do these, but the overall result looks much nicer irl, the satin-black compliments the rest of the car very well. Next steps would be either to replace the chrome horse on the grill with a flat-black one, or, do a different wire-mesh style, or perhaps a Roush front fascia.

Let’s see, but for now, I will enjoy the fresh view from the cabin :)

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
These really need a wicker in front of the vent to maximize cooling. Several people have tested these Trackspec vents as-is and the cooling is insufficient. You can see through tuft tests at speed that air is not being pulled out the vent as efficiently as it could be.

Race Louvers makes side and center hood vents that utilize a wicker in front to speed up the air flow and therefore lower the pressure above the vent. The wicker is essential for properly functioning hood vents.

upload_2020-3-2_9-27-58.png

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
These really need a wicker in front of the vent to maximize cooling. Several people have tested these Trackspec vents as-is and the cooling is insufficient. You can see through tuft tests at speed that air is not being pulled out the vent as efficiently as it could be.

Race Louvers makes side and center hood vents that utilize a wicker in front to speed up the air flow and therefore lower the pressure above the vent. The wicker is essential for properly functioning hood vents.

upload_2020-3-2_9-27-58.png
I would say measuring the pressure below and above the hood would be a better test. Looking at the configuration, where they are installed, there will be a significant pressure differential between those two points, I am almost certain at speed, there will be a healthy extraction of hot air.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
While it is true that wickers would create a low pressure and assist with heat extraction, that is not the whole formula. At speed, pressures increase within the engine compartment from air rushing in through the grill and various other points and most of us have modified our front grills that allow even more air rushing in than in stock form. Pressure has to go somewhere and as evident by hood lift on our aluminum hoods it shows where it finds the weak point to get out. Compared to stock (and even worse from our Australian neighbor with no vents avail stock for them) the un-wickered trackspec hood vents help tremendously just by air release alone. I have absolutely no hood lift anymore whatsoever at 160 mph (highest I can get to on my local tracks) which means lift and forced air is coming out. On a side note, trackspec is developing some wickers for those that want them. Ultimately if you want a proper setup, get a tiger racing hood or the likes.

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
@db252: Good reply, more or less online with my thinking. I would only argue that what AlbertD shown during his tests wasn’t scientific ( as he also alluded to) or conclusive, as it may very well be turbulence from the wickers causing the tufts’ behaviour.

Hence my comment about measuring under hood pressure vs above the hood pressure, from my background in instrumentation and controls, I am willing to guarantee there will be a substantial delta, with underhood pressure being significantly more positive than above. The rushing air over the hood will not create a high-pressure area where the vents are located, that high-pressure area sits at the base of the window (hence intake scoops on older drag tin-tops often facing towards the windscreen), rather it will help a lot with scavenging the underhood area due to the fast moving flow and positive pressure underneath.

People can go read up about Bernoulli’s Principle as well, which comes down to the fact that the static pressure of a fluid will decrease as the velocity increases....this will definitely come in play with what we want to achieve here.

The only way to really test this will be measuring underhood temps and pressures pre- and post Louvers, with and without wickers. Perhaps some Louvers will benefit from wickers, depending where they are located on the hood, but only careful wind-tunnel testing and measuring of a few key variables will determine that.

At least from my observations pre/post Louver install, I have seen a substantial drop in CHT under even normal driving conditions.

Edit: Did a quick google to see if I wasn’t totally insane, here’s a good read: https://www.buildyourownracecar.com/race-car-aerodynamics-basics-and-design/2/

And quoted from there:

According to Bernoulli’s principle, for a given volume of air, the higher the velocity the air molecules are travelling, the lower the pressure becomes. Likewise, for a given volume of air, the lower the velocity of the air molecules, the higher the pressure becomes. This applies to air in motion across a still body, or to a vehicle in motion, moving through relatively still air.

Also, a nice read to see how-to and where to install Louvers -> https://www.flyinmiata.com/support/instructions/misc/louvers.pdf

Last edited:

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
As mentioned above, my tuft testing is not conclusive and is pertinent only to my setup. I am by no means an expert in aerodynamics and intended my findings as purely observation.

I noticed enhanced air flow after adding 25mm wickers to all my hood vents (more so on the side vents, than the trackspec middle), now.... that doesn't mean that they don't work as is. I agree that there is enough pressure differential to allow airflow out of the vents without the wickers. So... having vents is significantly better than no vents at all.

My main gripe with my findings was that the trackspec center vent seems to be placed a bit too far back as the side vents seemed to be doing the majority of the work. I wished I would have went with a center vent that is closer to the radiator like the Racelouver option.

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
Ha, yes, I did mention your caveat, Albert.

But wickers will work better for sure, if implemented correctly, no doubt. But like you have said, these louvers will do a very good job as opposed to none, that was the point I was trying to make to Ewheels. He commented that the cooling is insufficient, probably might be on a race-track, but it sure helps heaps for my road-driving :)

Edit: And thank you, those beautiful pix of your yellow beast helped convince me I will do something similar on my car! Also the work db252 did on his.

Last edited:

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
Resurrecting this thread :)

It is a pretty hot day here in Melbourn, Australia, ~35deg C+. Took my car for a bit of a drive earlier, coming off the freeway, I got stuck in traffic, waiting for a traffic light. Was actually pretty cool seeing the heat-waves dance above the vents, showing the heated air does make it out.

Driving even at 50-60kph, the cylinder-head temps also takes a quick nose-dive. Still very happy I did this mod, plus it looks rather cool - no pun intende.

Cheers,
Beano

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Jesus, Beano, enough with the navel gazing. Put a 1/2 to 1 inch tall gurney in front of the vent. If you want to make it look fancy, put it at a 60* angle w.r.t. horizontal, but it won't really matter functionally. It makes a big difference in terms of airflow through the engine bay.
Sponsored