Best areas for hood vents

exodus.eco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
Not sure if there is already a thread on this but wondering if anyone had tested the hottest areas under the hood of the mustang and where a vent or vents would be most beneficial to release engine bay heat.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What uh, problems are you trying to solve for?

A hot engine bay alone isn’t a problem, as long as the radiator and cooling system are getting clean air, and the intake is also drawing from a cool source, as the stock one does.

The usualy locations are pretty forward on the hood, behind the radiator and where the curvature from the bumper to the hood is still causing a low pressure region. The top of the hood and front of the windshield are neutral or positive pressure areas a vent would not help.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Not sure if there is already a thread on this
A quick search will tell you :thumbsup:.

Hood vents of the type used by OEMs don't address engine bay temp, they reduce engine bay pressure thus improving the flow of air through the radiator.

This is why sometimes a car with high engine coolant temps will run cooler if you raise the trailing edge of the hood so air can flow through the radiator and out.

Unless the vents are huge eg half the size of the hood they won't help with underbonnet temps and as stated above the challenge is to reduce engine temp.

Shotgunut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shotgunut
Vehicle(s)
17 4bang stang premium!
I purchased Verus louvers because my IAT''s were bad. Wife and I autocross and being a 2 driver car, laps 8 through 12 really suffer. If you open the hood on your 16 and remove the liner you will see stamped indentations where they go. Make sure you buy legit louvers from a company that tests them for flow, they add a dash of downforce by default. Avoid the offerings you find on cj, American muscle, etc... My .02

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if there is already a thread on this but wondering if anyone had tested the hottest areas under the hood of the mustang and where a vent or vents would be most beneficial to release engine bay heat.
Racelouvers.com
Ajhartmanaero.com
Both these guys/companies have extensive aero testing in actual wind tunnels and share their data and findings on their websites. AJ Hartman is also very active in the Mustang community.

As others have said: with vents, you're not targeting the hottest areas, you're targeting the best airflow exiting heat exchangers.
The temperature of the engine bay is irrelevant; you should be concerned with fluid temps and you keep those temps in check by making sure the heat exchangers have good air flow both in and out.
So at the minimum, you want the hood vents right behind the radiator. At the extreme side, you would completely duct the radiator entrance and exit so airflow only has one pathway to follow.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
this is how I positioned mine - side vents are flush with factory extractors, and front of the center vent is aligned with fronts of side vents:
1659649139956.png

that way, the front of the center vent is sitting on top of expansion tank, it is around 4 inches away from the back end of the radiator, which is optimal position for cooling according to racelouvers guidance. I don't see a point to move it any closer to the radiator, as all the space there is obstructed with shroud and tanks and other plastic:
1659649426088.png

if anyone is wondering about the racelouvers clearance for supercharged cars, here is how it looks on top of roush supercharger - the tightest spot is around these bolts, but there is still about 1/2 inch of clearance. the rest has much more space, so it fits fine overall:
1659649855599.png
Sponsored