Sponsored

Hood aero 2018+, reducing pressure with trackspec?

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I have done a few searches for trackspec hood vents, and most of them ended up I here. My car is setup for drag racing, but I've reached speeds where aero seems to matter more than I'd like. I am running a BMR kmemeber, which means the belly pan is kept secure in the back by zip ties. Also bullet grille with the bottom opened ip a bit. On the big end last race when i let off at 150, the belly pan flew off along with part of the front bumper; in addition severe hood flutter at this point. Car is super charged so letting off the BOV dumps more pressure under the hood.

I went to industrial zip ties, and 6 instead on 2 now. However, I might keep having issues. I think the trackspec hood vents would allow some pressure to escape. I was considering only putting in the two sides, or the one center one. Would either work, and would one be better than the other, or should I do l 3 (prefer not to)? Also, IATs in the summer are high when stationary (staging lines), wouldn't mind a little better heat extraction as well.
Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

Mach1soldier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2020 f150 EB
Ideally you would eliminate some of the airflow coming under hood by blocking some of the grille or side vents and then directing air directly over intercooler and radiator only.
Heat extractors will help.

we ended up putting hood pins on our cars. Seeing the hood fluttering at the end of 1/4 mile isn’t reassuring.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have the Race Louvers. They definitely make a big difference in cooling, but I think you are right about not needing all three. They will probably increase drag a little bit. I don't care for my purposes, but if you are a 1/4 mile guy you probably don't want them to slow you down. It might not make a difference in your 1/4 mile time, though. I recommend contacting Race Louvers directly. My experience with them was stellar.

I do agree with the others about blocking off some grill openings if you can to reduce how much air gets trapped under the hood.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I have the Race Louvers. They definitely make a big difference in cooling, but I think you are right about not needing all three. They will probably increase drag a little bit. I don't care for my purposes, but if you are a 1/4 mile guy you probably don't want them to slow you down. It might not make a difference in your 1/4 mile time, though. I recommend contacting Race Louvers directly. My experience with them was stellar.

I do agree with the others about blocking off some grill openings if you can to reduce how much air gets trapped under the hood.
I found the racelouvers as well now, reached out to them. Looking at the side profile on their website, I think the two side hood vents would make less drag. They don't sit up as high and are already behind the factory vents. Though not sure if this will result in them not doing what I need. I doubt the drag difference matters to much, but I do know rule of thumb for airplanes is speed varies with the cube of hp. Either way I like the look of the two sides compared to one center; but I need it to work as missing part of bumper doesn't look good at all. I'll see what they say.

Sponsored

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I found the racelouvers as well now, reached out to them. Looking at the side profile on their website, I think the two side hood vents would make less drag. They don't sit up as high and are already behind the factory vents. Though not sure if this will result in them not doing what I need. I doubt the drag difference matters to much, but I do know rule of thumb for airplanes is speed varies with the cube of hp. Either way I like the look of the two sides compared to one center; but I need it to work as missing part of bumper doesn't look good at all. I'll see what they say.
quick update, race louvers replied first thing Monday to my question, very detailed response. I ordered the RT side hood vents from them.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
20220116_132112_copy_3000x2250.jpg
20220116_132105_copy_3000x2250.jpg

Installed, haven't got to 150 yet to see if the bumper rips off again. Also plan on getting a new intercooler with BOVs in front of the radiator. This should reduce the pressure/shock under the hood when I let off on the big end.
Sponsored