Sponsored

Towing Question for GT350

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the event I need my vehicle towed, do I need to install a ZL1-style tow hook or could I get away with something like a tie down kit from Steeda? When I say "towed", I mean pulled up onto a flatbed.

Taking the front bumper, splitter, etc off is a bit more committed than I think I want to be. I'd be much more comfortable if anyone has any recommendations for tow point additions under the car, etc. I did notice in the car manual they recommend specific tow points, but I can just envision this being a nightmare trying to peer under the car on the side of the highway.

Also, should I carry around any sort of ramp or similar in the truck so I don't get road rash on the front / back of the car due to its low ride height?

Thank you for any thoughts / recommendations / insights.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Goz To 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I'd recommend going the tow hook route. It's much more of a project to install, but gives you so much more peace of mind for any type of towing scenario.

When you consider that the winch on a flat-bed tow truck is usually located up in the front of the tow bed, and then they will tilt that tow bed before loading your car, you need to visualize the angle that the winch rope is going to be at coming down from the front of the flat-bed.

If it's attached to your tow hook mounted on the front bumper, it's no issue, and it pulls right up.

If that winch rope is underneath your car, where most tie-down kits mount to the frame, it would rip the front bumper off, or at least cause significant damage to the front clip of the car the moment the winch rope gets taught and starts to pull the car up.

I had the same issue to address with my tilt-bed open trailer. The tow hook was the cheapest and easiest solution. I installed the ZL1 tow hook with a mechanic friend of mine and actually learned a few things in the process. Do the project with a competent car buddy some afternoon. It's really not that bad and there are some good videos available on how to remove and install your front bumper....

Best of luck!
Scott

OP
OP
MiamiGT350

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd recommend going the tow hook route. It's much more of a project to install, but gives you so much more peace of mind for any type of towing scenario.

When you consider that the winch on a flat-bed tow truck is usually located up in the front of the tow bed, and then they will tilt that tow bed before loading your car, you need to visualize the angle that the winch rope is going to be at coming down from the front of the flat-bed.

If it's attached to your tow hook mounted on the front bumper, it's no issue, and it pulls right up.

If that winch rope is underneath your car, where most tie-down kits mount to the frame, it would rip the front bumper off, or at least cause significant damage to the front clip of the car the moment the winch rope gets taught and starts to pull the car up.
Very good points I didn't think about... Thank you!

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
Also consider adding the Ford Performance tie down kit. It will help the tow truck driver, or you, if you want to trailer it.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Iā€™m going to install the ZL1 tow kit as well. Iā€™m going to trailer it when I move and can winch the car onto the enclosed trailer. Iā€™m not built to crawl in/out the window šŸ˜‰

Last edited:

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door
In the event I need my vehicle towed, do I need to install a ZL1-style tow hook or could I get away with something like a tie down kit from Steeda? When I say "towed", I mean pulled up onto a flatbed.

Taking the front bumper, splitter, etc off is a bit more committed than I think I want to be. I'd be much more comfortable if anyone has any recommendations for tow point additions under the car, etc. I did notice in the car manual they recommend specific tow points, but I can just envision this being a nightmare trying to peer under the car on the side of the highway.

Also, should I carry around any sort of ramp or similar in the truck so I don't get road rash on the front / back of the car due to its low ride height?

Thank you for any thoughts / recommendations / insights.
Make sure the tow company brings a pair of 'race ramps'. This will get the Shelby up on the flat bed without any issues with the front splitter. This is more important than having them hook to the frame or suspension to pull it up, IMO.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
From personal experience, I would not do any regular winching using the ZL1 tow hook - itā€™ll bend
I second this. During this summer at an event, GT350 had an issue on track and had to be towed back to the paddock. After the tow truck disconnected from his ZL1 tow hook, it was bent out of shape

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I second this. During this summer at an event, GT350 had an issue on track and had to be towed back to the paddock. After the tow truck disconnected from his ZL1 tow hook, it was bent out of shape
One time use I guess.

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd rather a one time use tow hook over replacing a bumper. (not gt350, but mach 1 handlin pack, so same boat)
100% agree. I have the Ford tow hooks. I think theyā€™re a bit less likely to be damaged if used, but I canā€™t say for sure.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At least you have the tow hook insert in your bumper/crash bar.
I gotta say that was a big miss on the GT350. You gotta draw the line somewhere, butā€¦ really?

Last edited:

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Okay, Iā€˜m glad you guys brought op the ZL1 tow hook ā€œbend, one time useā€ issue.
Iā€˜ll start a new thread.
Sponsored