Towing Question for GT350

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I gotta say that was a big miss on the GT350. You gotta draw the line somewhere, but… really?
I thought the newer years had them? They certainly have the part number for it
Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Oh another option is Raceseng but I’m personally not paying $400+ for a tow hook. Even with BF savings

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
I have a winch on my open trailer and the front end of the car overhangs the front of the trailer bed area, so connecting to the tow hook (mine is the FP version that protrudes from the lower part of the grill) doesn't work due to the angles involved.

Home from Barber Trip (2).jpg

Instead, I follow the owner's manual instructions for flatbed towing. Using a V-strap with J-hooks on the end, I connect the J-hooks to the front subframe from underneath (look for the keyhole-shaped cutouts that are aligned with the front edge of the doors). I then leave this strap connected to the winch with a bit of tension on it after the wheel tie-downs are in place.

V strap with J hooks.JPG

Here's the slot the J-hooks go into.... just ignore the transmission lube in this pic - was taken when I was trying to figure out a past issue that was related to an improperly positioned vent.

20220820_101050.jpg

Goz To 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Strange. I've used mine 20 plus times with no issues at all of bending or deforming..

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I have a winch on my open trailer and the front end of the car overhangs the front of the trailer bed area, so connecting to the tow hook (mine is the FP version that protrudes from the lower part of the grill) doesn't work due to the angles involved.

Home from Barber Trip (2).jpg

Instead, I follow the owner's manual instructions for flatbed towing. Using a V-strap with J-hooks on the end, I connect the J-hooks to the front subframe from underneath (look for the keyhole-shaped cutouts that are aligned with the front edge of the doors). I then leave this strap connected to the winch with a bit of tension on it after the wheel tie-downs are in place.

V strap with J hooks.JPG

Here's the slot the J-hooks go into.... just ignore the transmission lube in this pic - was taken when I was trying to figure out a past issue that was related to an improperly positioned vent.

20220820_101050.jpg

Nice rig. I’ll bet it tows well.

Sponsored

Bugs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 1965 Mustang Fastback Restomod in GT350 livery
From personal experience, I would not do any regular winching using the ZL1 tow hook - it’ll bend
I second this. During this summer at an event, GT350 had an issue on track and had to be towed back to the paddock. After the tow truck disconnected from his ZL1 tow hook, it was bent out of shape
This surprises me. I did a lot of research back in 2019 before I selected ZL1 for my front and rear tow hooks. This is the first I have heard of a ZL1 tow hook fail. Can you please elaborate on which components failed and the manner of failure? For example, was the damage done to the D-ring? If so, do you know if it was the aluminum or the forged steel ring? If the damage was to the shaft, was it the steel or the titanium unit?

I may need to make some changes. Do you have a suggestion for tow hooks that perform well?

My rear hook has never been used (other than as a microphone holder ;) but I routinely trailer-load my 2019 GT350 using the front hook - admittedly a low-stress maneuver. It has never had to be used with high tension such as might occur during an extrication from a track excursion. Here's what it looks like after ~30 trailer loadings:

20221123_132450.jpg

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I’m going to install the ZL1 tow kit as well. I’m going to trailer it when I move and can wench the car onto the enclosed trailer. I’m not built to crawl in/out the window 😉

I called my wife that. Did not go ever well ☠
Strange. I've used mine 20 plus times with no issues at all of bending or deforming..
Same here. Curious what bent?

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
There’s a big difference in the loads you place on your tow hook when you carefully wench it into/onto your trailer and the loads placed on the same tow hook when it’s drug out of the gravel and/or back to the paddock by the tow truck at the track. 😎

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
tow hooks are on Camaros for a reason,they need towing because they are behind mustangs

Seriously speaking ,for an occasional tow a hook is ok but for dedicated drag racing
a push bar on the chute mount is 100x better and safer..

I saw a kid loose half his foot when the tow strap broke and snapped back onto his leg
kid did not know what hit him

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
tow hooks are on Camaros for a reason,they need towing because they are behind mustangs

Seriously speaking ,for an occasional tow a hook is ok but for dedicated drag racing
a push bar on the chute mount is 100x better and safer..

I saw a kid loose half his foot when the tow strap broke and snapped back onto his leg
kid did not know what hit him
I’ve seen tow straps go south while Jeeping but we’re always ready for it. Very dangerous indeed.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This surprises me. I did a lot of research back in 2019 before I selected ZL1 for my front and rear tow hooks. This is the first I have heard of a ZL1 tow hook fail. Can you please elaborate on which components failed and the manner of failure? For example, was the damage done to the D-ring? If so, do you know if it was the aluminum or the forged steel ring? If the damage was to the shaft, was it the steel or the titanium unit?

I may need to make some changes. Do you have a suggestion for tow hooks that perform well?

My rear hook has never been used (other than as a microphone holder ;) but I routinely trailer-load my 2019 GT350 using the front hook - admittedly a low-stress maneuver. It has never had to be used with high tension such as might occur during an extrication from a track excursion. Here's what it looks like after ~30 trailer loadings:

20221123_132450.jpg
IIRC, the owner redesigned the bracket a while back because a few people reported them bending. I know mine flexed enough to crack a bunch of my honeycomb.

The bigger thing for me is I'd never want to pull from off-center into the trailer. Just puts unneeded stress on everything and drives my OCD crazy. I resisted the FP tow hook in the beginning because it felt like such an after-thought design, but it works great and has drug my stupid car into the trailer 100 plus times drama free.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
IIRC, the owner redesigned the bracket a while back because a few people reported them bending. I know mine flexed enough to crack a bunch of my honeycomb.

The bigger thing for me is I'd never want to pull from off-center into the trailer. Just puts unneeded stress on everything and drives my OCD crazy. I resisted the FP tow hook in the beginning because it felt like such an after-thought design, but it works great and has drug my stupid car into the trailer 100 plus times drama free.
i didnt want to do it on mine either but if its good enough for multimatica gt4’s, its good enough for me

Terry W

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I'd recommend going the tow hook route. It's much more of a project to install, but gives you so much more peace of mind for any type of towing scenario.

When you consider that the winch on a flat-bed tow truck is usually located up in the front of the tow bed, and then they will tilt that tow bed before loading your car, you need to visualize the angle that the winch rope is going to be at coming down from the front of the flat-bed.

If it's attached to your tow hook mounted on the front bumper, it's no issue, and it pulls right up.

If that winch rope is underneath your car, where most tie-down kits mount to the frame, it would rip the front bumper off, or at least cause significant damage to the front clip of the car the moment the winch rope gets taught and starts to pull the car up.

I had the same issue to address with my tilt-bed open trailer. The tow hook was the cheapest and easiest solution. I installed the ZL1 tow hook with a mechanic friend of mine and actually learned a few things in the process. Do the project with a competent car buddy some afternoon. It's really not that bad and there are some good videos available on how to remove and install your front bumper....

Best of luck!
Scott
I did the same thing. ZL1 route. My tow worries are gone. Yes there are good how to videos out there. Helps to have a buddy for lifting and reinstall.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Honey Badger,
Do you have a link to the FP unit you purchased? and how is the install vs the ZL1 unit?
Sponsored