Tow hook install

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Is it just remove the cap and screw it in, or more to it than that?
Also, am I crazy just doing this for a cool look? Never tracked.
Yep it's that easy, as for cool look, not positive about that.

OP
OP
Mach U

Mach U

Threads
Reaction score
Scottsdale, AZ - Winter / Carlsbad CA - Summer
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Genesis - 2021 Mach 1(HP)
How is the cover secured? Are there just plastic tabs that hold it in the bumper cover?
I pushed the left side of the cap and it gave me access. Secured by tabs, BUT the cap is attached to a cord of some sorts. Not knowing what to do with the attached cord I closed it up. Now I’ll just wait for you smart guys for direction.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I pushed the left side of the cap and it gave me access. Secured by tabs, BUT the cap is attached to a cord of some sorts. Not knowing what to do with the attached cord I closed it up. Now I’ll just wait for you smart guys for direction.
That’s what I was specifically wondering about :) I’m going to get a second cover to drill for a hook but im curious how it comes out before I start messing with it.

Sponsored

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Hum, 90% the plastic “cord” can be pulled out through the retaining hole although it has a T at the end, but looks like it will fit.

Someone please see if it goes through without breaking.

Hahahahaha let us know.

Obviously you can just cut (the cord) as it doesn’t have anything to do with holding the cover on. But I would try to fish it through first.

You don’t want to put the tow hook in and just let the cover flap in the wind.

OP
OP
Mach U

Mach U

Threads
Reaction score
Scottsdale, AZ - Winter / Carlsbad CA - Summer
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Genesis - 2021 Mach 1(HP)
Hum, 90% the plastic “cord” can be pulled out through the retaining hole although it has a T at the end, but looks like it will fit.

Someone please see if it goes through without breaking.

Hahahahaha let us know.

Obviously you can just cut (the cord) as it doesn’t have anything to do with holding the cover on. But I would try to fish it through first.

You don’t want to put the tow hook in and just let the cover flap in the wind.
Good advice - thanks

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Driving around daily with a tow hook protruding from the bumper cover = not cool.

You asked…. 😆

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
You’re probably right. In my defense I’m bored as the Mach is almost too perfect and no need for serious mods in my opinion.
If you want to run a tow hook go for it. Easy enough to remove if @Cobra Jet sees you out cruising and gives you shit at a stoplight :giggle:
I would love to know what’s involved in replacing the cover so I could get a second one and drill it for a hook. That way if I needed to install it I could use the backup cover and not have it hanging there open lol

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Whenever I see a car with a hook I always ask where the driver has driven it at.

If the answer is nowhere I just look at them blankly for a second and leave without saying a word.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Driving around daily with a tow hook protruding from the bumper cover = not cool.
I have tracked my GT500 and I have taken it on a half dozen 14-16hr, straight through drives. The folding hook I installed stays on. Why? You never know. Going agricultural at the track is one thing. Breaking down in Butt**** West Virginia at 2am is another. I much prefer being ready for duty than not. Tow straps and shackles reside in the trunk for quick access.
i-Z3SxwkP-X3.jpg

The factory hook would look funny on a daily, I readily admit. But a more subtle hook definitely has utility beyond the factory piece. And one that matches body color helps to blend and not attract the cringing eyes of forum contributors...

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
And you can pinch the end of the tether and the cover can be set aside somewhere instead of allowing it to just dangle in the wind. I bought an extra cover and drilled it to seal up the hole with the hook in place.

IMG_7871-X3.jpg

IMG_7872-X3.jpg

One of these things is not like the other.

IMG_7878-X2.jpg

IMG_7887-X3.jpg
Sponsored