Chip13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1 with handling package
FA3163E1-5533-423A-8834-8647B191C264.jpeg
I bought the Ford Racing rear tow hook kit but, when I went to install it, I came across a better idea that was easier to install and allowed me to retain my back up light. After removing the rear diffuser under tray, I was able to view the underside of the rear bumper impact bar. I removed the 4 screws holding the rear back up light to the bumper cover. This allowed room to drill a hole in the bottom of impact bar which I then tapped for a 8mm bolt.
The bottom on the impact bar is exactly even with the almost hidden recesses in the bumper cover. I bolted a race tow strap I had on hand to the underside of the impact bar then drilled a small lateral slot in the middle recess of the bumper cover. The strap slides easily through the slot which I made wide enough to allow some lateral movement in the event of a tow. When not in use at the track, the strap slides back into the slot with only the end of the strap showing. I put a small plastic rod through the strap when pushed back in so it wouldn't fall completely back in behind the bumper cover. Total cost: $27 for the Sparco tow strap.

3340D537-F77C-44DE-8DEB-BDC00CFE1F90.jpeg
Sponsored

adeuel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
That's pretty slick. Any more pictures?

Did you use a nut/bolt/washer application and if so, was the other side easily accessible for the nut?

OP
OP

Chip13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
I did not use a nut on the back. The impact bar is very hard metal and difficult to drill. I tapped the hole for threads and used a washer under the bolt. Also used Loctite on the bolt. When towing, the stress is lateral on the bolt, more of a shear resistance issue. I would not install the strap on the rear side of the impact bar without a nut and washer on the other side.

IMG_0047.jpeg

Mjschneidy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 82 GT Track Car, 73 Stroppe Bronco
Looks like a great solution.

I kinda had the same dilemma, bought the FP hook and didn’t warm up to losing the back up light. I then bought a universal flat hook with the intention of mounting just like you did having it poke through in the same manner but was afraid it’d look like a red trailer hitch without a ball.

Ended up making my own. I can unbolt the hook part from the bracket when not on track very easily from behind the valance. Of course the slot in the “mesh” will always be there.
IMG_0161.jpeg

Sponsored

John S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Here's Bemaro's approach using police quality Ecco programmable LED lights for reverse plus third brake light functions. Pricey but simple, bright, and top quality components. I bought just the brackets and sourced my own lights because the Ecco lights were out of stock at Bemaro.

Bemaro Backup Brake Lights.jpg

Bemaro reverse light testing.jpg

OP
OP

Chip13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
Looks like a great solution.

I kinda had the same dilemma, bought the FP hook and didn’t warm up to losing the back up light. I then bought a universal flat hook with the intention of mounting just like you did having it poke through in the same manner but was afraid it’d look like a red trailer hitch without a ball.

Ended up making my own. I can unbolt the hook part from the bracket when not on track very easily from behind the valance. Of course the slot in the “mesh” will always be there.
IMG_0161.jpeg
Nicely done. Any pics from underneath?

Mjschneidy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 82 GT Track Car, 73 Stroppe Bronco
It’s a 1/4” plate that sandwiches between bumper beam to body attachment. There is also an attachment that runs forward for another body attachment point.

P
IMG_0152.jpeg
IMG_0153.jpeg
Sponsored