Today is header install day

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Out of everything I've read or watched on header install, the challenges appear to be from lack of tool selection. By no means am I saying it's cake, especially off Jack stands (which I'll be doing) but outside of various extensions, swivels, and ratcheting flex wrenches, it doesn't look to be too bad.

My only 2 concerns is, enough safe height with 3 ton jack stands, and not crinkling my oil pan.

I have 3/8 and 1/2 Dr extension from 3"-24", impact and long reach cordless 3/8 Dr mil ratchet and LOTS of various swivels wobbles etc etc.

Anything else I should be aware of, that I've missed? I need to double check my torx set for the steering shaft collar bolt.. thats t6?
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yes, use an old phone book (yellow pages or white pages) and put it in this location and you won’t have to worry about damaging the oil pan.

352DED91-4F06-41AC-BEF7-6B24D9F82032.jpeg

1650368167081.jpeg

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Another very important thing that can get overlooked is, failure to strap the steering wheel in place before disconnecting the steering linkage, so as to prevent throwing off the clocking spring.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
There's a shop not too far from me that installs these for $500 and did a great job. If I get headers again, I'm taking it right back to them. It's not that I can't do it myself but I would rather a professional with a lift install these versus cursing on my back under the car on jack stands. :cwl:

OP
OP
PC_GUARD

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
There's a shop not too far from me that installs these for $500 and did a great job. If I get headers again, I'm taking it right back to them. It's not that I can't do it myself but I would rather a professional with a lift install these versus cursing on my back under the car on jack stands. :cwl:
I live in an area where incompetence is an apparent mandatory "skill" in all trade fields. Finding good people i'd let around my car, is very slim. Otherwise i would gladly let someone else do it.

Now to go find a phone booth and steal the last phone book on earth HAHA

Sponsored

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Please let me know how much of a pain the install is. I did a header install on a 3v about 12 years ago and I swore then that I'd just pay someone to do it in the future lol.

OP
OP
PC_GUARD

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Please let me know how much of a pain the install is. I did a header install on a 3v about 12 years ago and I swore then that I'd just pay someone to do it in the future lol.
I think the 3v and NE cars were probably the worst. I did my NE on a lift and dropped the motor out the bottom. Took about 4 hrs. But I also did that to shim and diag the K and rear axle.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Good luck with everything. Take your time and dont rush things. Which brand did you get?

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I think the 3v and NE cars were probably the worst. I did my NE on a lift and dropped the motor out the bottom. Took about 4 hrs. But I also did that to shim and diag the K and rear axle.
Good to know. Let me know how this install goes.

I had a guy do the headers on my 2015 and he didn't seem to have a lot of trouble doing it, except for the part where he backed my car into another car when he was done. Screwed up the rear bumper and told me he ordered a replacement and would have it painted and installed, and then the guy literally moved. Went up to the shop to see what the update was and some other guys came up and were kinda aggressive with me like I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. When I told them what happened, they relaxed and told me they were looking for him too. I think I took my car to the wrong mechanic lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
PC_GUARD

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Good luck with everything. Take your time and dont rush things. Which brand did you get?
Catted PYPES

I bought f150 rear 02's and new gt for the front, to ease everything and not use extensions. Copper never seize is a staple in my tool box. My exhaust has only been installed a month, and should come apart easy enough.

mtr5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT Shadow Black 401a A10 3.15 gear
Yes, use an old phone book (yellow pages or white pages) and put it in this location and you won’t have to worry about damaging the oil pan.

352DED91-4F06-41AC-BEF7-6B24D9F82032.jpeg

1650368167081.jpeg
Do you have it placed on the transmission bellhousing ?

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I live in an area where incompetence is an apparent mandatory "skill" in all trade fields. Finding good people i'd let around my car, is very slim. Otherwise i would gladly let someone else do it.

Now to go find a phone booth and steal the last phone book on earth HAHA

** And here I thought I was the only one who lives where people are shall we say lacking in mechanical ability.