Throttle House: PP2 vs 1LE

gmuffley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350 Wimbledon White Heritage Edition
My guess is the superior torque of the Camaro, particularly in the lower RPM range accounts for the difference.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Of all the colors to wrap your Camaro, you choose Baby Blue? Awwwww - he should hang a Unicorn from his mirror.
Up here in the Great White North we call that robin's egg blue..... The dude went with that colour instead of a sticker that says "Bitch" on the car lol J/K. But the 1LE is a serious car and I considered one before buying my GT. I had a 2013 Camaro SS I traded in and was over the gunslit window thing. I couldn't really ever get into the Gen 6 styling though the 1LE looks better than most do. Plus in Canada the Camaro's are pushing too close to the Vette when it comes to price so it wasn't an option for me in the end.

Its too bad the PP2 has some cooling issues because its a Helluva car in every other way it seems.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Up here in the Great White North we call that robin's egg blue..... The dude went with that colour instead of a sticker that says "Bitch" on the car lol J/K. But the 1LE is a serious car and I considered one before buying my GT. I had a 2013 Camaro SS I traded in and was over the gunslit window thing. I couldn't really ever get into the Gen 6 styling though the 1LE looks better than most do. Plus in Canada the Camaro's are pushing too close to the Vette when it comes to price so it wasn't an option for me in the end.

Its too bad the PP2 has some cooling issues because its a Helluva car in every other way it seems.
The 1LE is a great car, but I could never get over the styling of the Camaro. Notably, the temps on the Mustang all stayed WNL during the test.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
The 1LE is a great car, but I could never get over the styling of the Camaro. Notably, the temps on the Mustang all stayed WNL during the test.
Yeah I had endured the poor visibility for over 6 years so that was enough for me. And the car felt like a cavern unless the sunroof shade was slid back. It was a good car though with some imperfections. The Gen 6 styling just seemed awkward somehow to me. I do really like the Mustang so far and yes you are right the PP2 performed as intended on the road.

Sponsored

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Who cares if you're hitting limp mode after just 2 laps?
The car didn't over heat at all and if you watch the video you would see that they actually address the issue

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
The car didn't over heat at all and if you watch the video you would see that they actually address the issue
Yeah, they ran 3 whole hot laps of a just over 1 minute course! Without overheating! In 70*f temps!

:D

I think the PP2 overheating issue is a bit overblown, but they probably would have run into some issues if they hot lapped it for 15-20 minutes.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
They just posted a track review, using the same Cup 2 tires for both of them. Very fair comparison. Loved the results!

Just to make it clear here. The camaro was faster despite having 285’s in the front versus GT’s 305’s. I don’t know if this was mentioned.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Just to make it clear here. The camaro was faster despite having 285’s in the front versus GT’s 305’s. I don’t know if this was mentioned.
Eh.. he was also running 325's in the rear vs stock 305's.. although not sure how much that helped. They tend to understeer so wider tires up front would have been more of a benefit.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
And less weight. And better brakes. And non-stock tires (and lord knows what else)

Let's not try to act like that's a sign that the Camaro is inherently better, the Camaro is just better equipped

Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Either of those cars would make for a really fun daily commute.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
And less weight. And better brakes. And non-stock tires (and lord knows what else)
Less weight is inherent to the platform. Better brakes? Not really. They both get 6 pot brembos up front, 1LE guy did put some slotted rotors on but that doesn't make a difference in stopping power. I don't know about the Mustang rear brakes, Camaro get the fixed 4 pot brembos out back. Non-stock tires, yeah.. but they matched what was on the Mustang. I think even on the stock tires the 1LE would have beat it, although maybe not by as much. As far as what else? Only other mod that car had was a GM CAI. It dyno'd 417hp/411tq, apparently.

Let's not try to act like that's a sign that the Camaro is inherently better, the Camaro is just better equipped
Well, it's inherently better at the track :D

I think this will be the closest to stock same day / same driver test we'll get for these cars. And let's be real, a 1-2 second difference is meaningless for even an advanced HPDE driver. They're both great cars.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Test drove the 1LE and the 50th SS. Loved the way the drove and the exhaust sounds great. Always owned Camaro's and Trans Am's but the interior, all the body molding (front end is horrible), visibility, and interior was a no go. They killed the look of my favorite muscle car. Went with a Ford for the first time. Killed me intiially.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Better brakes? Not really. They both get 6 pot brembos up front, 1LE guy did put some slotted rotors on but that doesn't make a difference in stopping power. I don't know about the Mustang rear brakes, Camaro get the fixed 4 pot brembos out back..
Only up front, and pretty sure the 1LE also has staggered piston bores on their brembos, so it's a better 6 pot. Camaro also gets 2 pieve rotors, which drastically reduce weight up front as well as rotating mass. Mustang rear calipers are sliding single piston on an inverted hat rotor, so the 1LE rear brakes are FAR superior

Non-stock tires, yeah.. but they matched what was on the Mustang. I think even on the stock tires the 1LE would have beat it, although maybe not by as much.
I don't really care if they matched the Mustang... those tires are so expensive, that's a MASSIVE advantage for the Camaro to be able to add damn near $2k worth of modifications. If the PP2 got the luxury of adding $2k on top of it's factory configuration, I'd wager that we'd be having a different conversation

As far as what else? Only other mod that car had was a GM CAI. It dyno'd 417hp/411tq, apparently.
It had a CAI too? That's interesting... I feel like people would lose their minds if the GT had a PMAS

Well, it's inherently better at the track :D.
Got me there lol. I guess more of what I'm getting at is that the deficiencies in the mustang aren't really anything that isn't easily curable. Bottom line is it's not like one of the cars is so significantly better than the other that you'd be an idiot to buy one of them. They're both excellent cars, and both can be just as fast as the other when pushed to the limit

I think this will be the closest to stock same day / same driver test we'll get for these cars. And let's be real, a 1-2 second difference is meaningless for even an advanced HPDE driver. They're both great cars.
True. Hell, the variation in a single lap for an advanced HPDE driver can span more than 2 seconds! And who knows what kind of experience the driver in the video has... I'm sure he's good, but I doubt he's anywhere near a professional

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

I have raced this exact Camaro in the Quarter Mile with my PP1 10R80 and gapped it by a car length. The Camaro has a CAI & Tune + aftermarket brake rotors on it. Had it been totally stock I would imagine it would have been a tie
Sponsored