bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I'm not concerned with what anyone says they enjoyed driving more. Want a different opinion ask someone else. I'm also not concerned with which car sells more. The bottom line is the best bang for the buck is the SS 1LE. It is practically the same car as the GT350 and with the $15,000.00+ you can save on initial investment there is plenty of room to make the SS 1LE even faster and maintain your warranty.
No way I would ever get rid of a GT350 for a 1LE. They are not practically the same car, even if the Camaro can run within 1-2 sec of the Shelby.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I agree with a few things said about both cars...vis was better in the Mustang but I'm used to that enclosed feel in the Camaro and I don't have the seat bottomed out in elevation, mirrors turned out a little more than I would have in other cars, too.

The gearing is taller in the 6spd, so tall that even with a 3.73 I don't like the feel of 6th gear if I'm under 80, in fact I'll run it in 5th ~70mph for nothing more than I don't like the feel, there's nothing there (power) in 6th because it's so tall.

The no-lift shift...if you can learn it, or unlearn the muscle memory which has been hard for me, but when you can hit that NLS: it's INCREDIBLE. And now I can't drive without the Active-Rev Match, either, LOL.
I am not sure why they said no lift shift is an advantage in the Camaro. Mustangs come with this as well.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I will admit it, this 6spd trans sucks. I tried to deny it, but it is the truth. It is an improvement over my old S197, but still noisy, clunky, and just plain rough. I need to change the stock fluid ASAP to see if I can fix some of this. I have seen a few vendors selling a Tremec for the S550 GT. That is something to keep in the back of the mind.
No doubt. I drove and street raced only Chevy manuals from my first car until 30. Nova, Cavalier, Camaro, Trans Am, VW Bug, and etc.. I test drove a 2015 Petty edition with a supercharger and I could barely drive It. Took me a while to get used to it. Went down the road to a chevy dealer and jumped into a Camaro SS and no problems. Burnt rubber right out of the dealership whit no issues. I still put a deposit down on the Petty. it was bad ass, lol.. Had that giggle like a school girl factor.

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
No doubt. I drove and street raced only Chevy manuals from my first car until 30. Nova, Cavalier, Camaro, Trans Am, VW Bug, and etc.. I test drove a 2015 Petty edition with a supercharger and I could barely drive It. Took me a while to get used to it. Went down the road to a chevy dealer and jumped into a Camaro SS and no problems. Burnt rubber right out of the dealership whit no issues. I still put a deposit down on the Petty. it was bad ass, lol.. Had that giggle like a school girl factor.
Petty Mustangs are way over priced. I spec'd it out and you can get a PP2 Premium, GT350 brake upgrade, FP magneride handling kit, and FP Supercharger all for under the price of a Petty car. You'll handle better, brake better and make more power. Even if you have a Ford dealer do the work and they charge you $200/hr. Every Petty car I could find the price ofwas a base model and still ended up costing more.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
I will admit it, this 6spd trans sucks. I tried to deny it, but it is the truth. It is an improvement over my old S197, but still noisy, clunky, and just plain rough. I need to change the stock fluid ASAP to see if I can fix some of this. I have seen a few vendors selling a Tremec for the S550 GT. That is something to keep in the back of the mind.
It doesn't suck....it ummm....has it's own personality.

Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Didn't know a Petty edition Mustang existed. Did some googling. It has some great parts (screw type blower, HRE wheels), but damn is that one ugly looking vehicle. Looks like someone put painters tape all over the car. That poor Mustang.

264046.jpg

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Petty Mustangs are way over priced. I spec'd it out and you can get a PP2 Premium, GT350 brake upgrade, FP magneride handling kit, and FP Supercharger all for under the price of a Petty car. You'll handle better, brake better and make more power. Even if you have a Ford dealer do the work and they charge you $200/hr. Every Petty car I could find the price ofwas a base model and still ended up costing more.
Yeah they are but this one was $30k with 8K miles which was the exact Blue Book for that Mustang year and model before you factored in HRE 20's, Upgraded tires, Full Cat Back Magna Flow Exhaust, Upgraded Suspension, Upgraded Half Shafts, and 670HP Phase one Roush SC kit. The dealer was shady and sold it out from under me for I assume more than 30K. They didn't know what they had. I like what I have better now but it was a good deal

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Yeah they are but this one was $30k with 8K miles which was the exact Blue Book for that Mustang year and model before you factored in HRE 20's, Upgraded tires, Full Cat Back Magna Flow Exhaust, Upgraded Suspension, Upgraded Half Shafts, and 670HP Phase one Roush SC kit. The dealer was shady and sold it out from under me for I assume more than 30K. They didn't know what they had. I like what I have better now but it was a good deal
On that case, yeah, solid deal lol.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't know a Petty edition Mustang existed. Did some googling. It has some great parts (screw type blower, HRE wheels), but damn is that one ugly looking vehicle. Looks like someone put painters tape all over the car. That poor Mustang.

264046.jpg
One I was looking at was Yellow without all the stickers. There's a new yellow 2018 Petty (without the stickers blue or trimmed wheels) right now for sale for $60k with a whipple SC on cars.com. 305's, HRE's, Heavy Duty Half shafts, Upgraded leather, Full Exhaust, suspension upgrades and etc.

15a01a800d17763c52393c6de6e9c759.jpg
Sponsored