ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Audi Q7 Premium
My car is a dedicated track that sees a stupid amount of track time. And I agree with @stanglife on this one. A really thorough cleaning would get the job done IMHO. I know I've personally dealt with it that way :)

There's nothing wrong with being overly cautious. Did you get the original parts back?
No, I considered asking but it just didn’t seem worth the hassle given they were well used even if they had life left.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
No, I considered asking but it just didn’t seem worth the hassle given they were well used even if they had life left.
Maybe I missed it, but did that 3600 included calipers? Or just the rotors and pads?

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
For you cleaning pros, I have a (non pressurized) soap gun that attaches to a garden hose. Sounds like I could filler up with a Dawn/water mix and put the car up on Jack stands and just spray and scrub what I can reach and see and see where that leaves me. Let me know if that sounds like a useful plan.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I missed it, but did that 3600 included calipers? Or just the rotors and pads?
Just rotors, pads and labor. Them’s dealer prices LOL.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Ouch!

For Dawn, yes, the stuff works like on the commercials...it just melts off the oil, especially if it's not burned on oil - you should be fine. A light agitation would work too for wherever you can reach.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if Coyote engines running the GT350/500 pumps would also have this 'blow the filter off' problem? If not, why not? Is there a pressure-protection bypass on the 'lesser' engines?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I wonder if Coyote engines running the GT350/500 pumps would also have this 'blow the filter off' problem? If not, why not? Is there a pressure-protection bypass on the 'lesser' engines?
I'd be shocked if the overrev is what caused the failure. If you don't lube the gasket with oil and then tighten to 18ft lbs, they will absolutely dump their oil due a failed gasket. I've seen it happen 3 times

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I just wish it was warmer outside. Laying under my car in a cold soapy puddle sounds unpleasant

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
There's a pressure relief valve on all of the engines. The highest oil pressure any engine deals with happens on a cold start on a cold day.

While the GT350 and GT500 pumps move more oil and the relief valves are set higher than a Coyote, in the end there's enough safety margin that none of them should blow the filter off under any circumstances.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
This might have become confused as this thread developed but I THINK we are talking about the oil filter gasket blowing out on the traditional oil filter mount/filter setup used on 15-early17s, right? - and the fact that without enough torque on the filter, the filter CAN loosen with vibrations, causing the gasket to leak and even allowing the gasket to be pushed out by the normal oil pressure of the car? Not that the filters ACTUALLY blow off of the engine (more that it could unscrew).

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
yeah. $400 for the tow, $400 for the track cleanup, $225 for diagnostics at the dealer, $150 for the oil change, $3600 for new brakes and rotors at all corners. Obviously I could have done some of those things cheaper if I hadn’t gone to the dealer but I was not in the mood to take chances given what had just happened.
Wow you got charged for track cleanup?

And word of wise, you should invest in the $99 a year gold AAA membership which comes with 100 free miles of towing. If you're going to track it, it's going to pay for itself often. Also doesn't every Ford under warranty come with roadside towing and recovery?

Also, what in the holy hell cost $3600 to do your brakes? Are they made outta gold?

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
This might have become confused as this thread developed but I THINK we are talking about the oil filter gasket blowing out on the traditional oil filter mount/filter setup used on 15-early17s, right? - and the fact that without enough torque on the filter, the filter CAN loosen with vibrations, causing the gasket to leak and even allowing the gasket to be pushed out by the normal oil pressure of the car? Not that the filters ACTUALLY blow off of the engine (more that it could unscrew).
yes that’s all correct.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Wow you got charged for track cleanup?

And word of wise, you should invest in the $99 a year gold AAA membership which comes with 100 free miles of towing. If you're going to track it, it's going to pay for itself often. Also doesn't every Ford under warranty come with roadside towing and recovery?

Also, what in the holy hell cost $3600 to do your brakes? Are they made outta gold?
I have the regular AAA but honestly I was so frazzled during the aftermath that I totally forgot to use it. Although basic only comes with 5 miles for free.

the track charges the club, the club paid and then asked me to reimburse. None of this was the club’s fault and I’d like to be invited back to run with them again so I was not bothered by paying them back.

As for the brakes, OEM rotors retail for ... I don’t know maybe $2300 I think, pads are about $150 each. So that’s $2900 plus a little more labor than usual due to the circumstances and sales tax in California. So yeah... not even made of gold.

I did consider swapping in some girodisc rotors and pagid pads given it would have been basically the same price but I didn’t want to get creative in the mental state I was in.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
As for the brakes, OEM rotors retail for ... I don’t know maybe $2300 I think, pads are about $150 each. So that’s $2900 plus a little more labor than usual due to the circumstances and sales tax in California. So yeah... not even made of gold.
Rotors are about $250 each, pads $500...so $1500 in parts and $2100 in labor. Someone is cashing in on those few hours of work for over 2 grand.

If you haven't done it already, I would say shop around. But if that dealership is going to pay your entire bill, then I guess it doesn't matter.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Don't let it shake you man - you made it out fine! I know you can change the oilfilter mount to the new cartridge mount on the newer cars, so that might be a good next mod...even though I'm sure that filter is on there TIGHT now ;)
Sponsored