jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Can you elaborate and summarize your dealers attempts on the install. I'm trying to build an arsenal of knowledge to have an discussion with the tech and service manager before the they begin the install to mitigate any potential damage or just to set clear expectations.
when i reread that, it sounded worse than it was, they got the motor in and i could not tell they'd been there...until i got in the car lol. they gave it back to me with grease all over it and a CEL. i was picking it up after hours so i left it there the first time. went to pick up again, another CEL...left it there for a second time.

first time they forgot to do a crank relearn, which makes the car misfire and will scare the shit out of you on your first drive with a new motor.

second time they just didn't plug the connector back in to the rear of the intake manifold. so just little things, but why tf hand someone a 60k car back that just got a motor replacement and allow it to have a CEL???
Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I gave mine a very careful look over and opened the hood when they gave it back to me. I also started it and made sure no CEL.

Mpt233

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
17 gt350
That noise is identical to mine when it spun a bearing at 8k miles. Yes, there is obviously a high rate of failure but at least ford seems to be quick to approve replacement. I'm not sure why people get so worked up about numbers matching in these cars. By the time they are collectable enough to appreciate to the point of a positive return half of the ppl bitching about it will prolly be dead.

OP
OP

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Car is on the rack, and Ford is making the dealer do a tear down to look at the valve train (cams etc.) and document the failure. Ford apparently wants to know the reason for the failure, (driver error e.g. over-revving etc.) but it will not have any bearing on new motor warranty. Looks like next week I’ll know the response based on what was submitted by dealer.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Car is on the rack, and Ford is making the dealer do a tear down to look at the valve train (cams etc.) and document the failure. Ford apparently wants to know the reason for the failure, (driver error e.g. over-revving etc.) but it will not have any bearing on new motor warranty. Looks like next week I’ll know the response based on what was submitted by dealer.
Im guessing they can pull overrevs from the ECU.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I wouldn’t worry about “dealershits” BUT like what was said each ones different with different levels of techs. I trust one out of three in town. They did my trans swap and you would never know it was done if you didn’t look at the marks on the bolts. They have done engine work on a few cars and work is great. I know a couple techs there and they are one of the ones that properly torque bolts and nuts and do great work. I’ve worked at a dealership for years in the 2000’s. You’ll always have the guys that do the right thing and the guys that wipe the dust and dirt off and say they changed the timing belt when they didn’t do anything. It’s not hard to find out who is who if you spend some time hanging out with the service writers and techs a lot of them are into the cars already so finding them at meets and stuff are easy.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Mechanical over-rev can't be protected. Shift into the wrong gear or down shift too early as you are slowing for a corner on track...

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Car revs to 8250. When I've hit that the limiter cuts in. How can you overrev?
When I first got the car, I was hitting the curves hard in the N GA mountains. Under a high G turn, I somehow shifted into 3rd out of 4th under acceleration and luckily my foot is trained to go right back in when something doesn’t feel right. I could immediately feel the engine try to catch up to the transmission and luckily I pushed the clutch back in as if it was a reflex. I’m surprised these transmissions don’t have a way of locking out a downshift under too-high revs.

Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
HAve to say my engine replacement went quite well once it got moving. But then Ford did fly a guy in my case.....

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm sorry your motor got hurt, but thanks for posting the photos. I love to see photos of broken engine parts.

Definitely spun rod bearings. I wonder what caused it?

OP
OP

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I'm sorry your motor got hurt, but thanks for posting the photos. I love to see photos of broken engine parts.

Definitely spun rod bearings. I wonder what caused it?
Me: "was it somehow starved of oil?"
Service manager: "no its just bearing slipping could happen to any engine"

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Me: "was it somehow starved of oil?"
Service manager: "no its just bearing slipping could happen to any engine"
Yeah, if it was starved of oil the parts would be discolored from getting really hot.
Sponsored