Thought I Blew My Engine @ Laguna

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I started to reply earlier but decided not to...but now that I see how the thread is going....

It might have been worth mentioning to them and ask if there is anything they can do - but if you already know in advance that it's the type of shop or such a small shop that they likely wouldnt be cooperative, sometimes in life it's just smarter to move on - like you said, you have other things to do. Move on, enjoy the car.

PS - it's common practice to retire a set of pads if they get contaminated. Rotors, not so much. Just go get your old ones back stat. Use them for future track day...you were going to burn through these anyway ;)
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
There seem to be two threads here. One is the one the OP started where a small local shop did the oil change that led to the filter leaking, and a separate one where folks think that the Ford dealer did the oil change.

Am I correct that the Ford dealer's only involvement was cleaning up the mess, and that they weren't responsible for the messed up oil change?

Also, on the brakes, if you think about it, the calipers would have to be disassembled and rebuilt to replace any rubber parts that were contaminated (like the dust boots), so swapping them is probably more cost-effective. As for the rotors, once oil gets inside the cooling channels that duct cooling air through the rotor then you definitely don't want them back on the car. And, of course, an oiled up set of pads are trash. So, as expensive as the brake work was, it makes sense.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
yes, that was what they told me over the phone. No telling what they’d be willing to put in writing. If I were the shop I’d blame it all on the over rev / missed shift / driver.
Ahhhh.... hearsay. That sucks. So we basically don’t know who was at fault but you were stuck with the bill. :inspect:

Glad your engine is ok.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Audi Q7 Premium
There seem to be two threads here. One is the one the OP started where a small local shop did the oil change that led to the filter leaking, and a separate one where folks think that the Ford dealer did the oil change.

Am I correct that the Ford dealer's only involvement was cleaning up the mess, and that they weren't responsible for the messed up oil change?

Also, on the brakes, if you think about it, the calipers would have to be disassembled and rebuilt to replace any rubber parts that were contaminated (like the dust boots), so swapping them is probably more cost-effective. As for the rotors, once oil gets inside the cooling channels that duct cooling air through the rotor then you definitely don't want them back on the car. And, of course, an oiled up set of pads are trash. So, as expensive as the brake work was, it makes sense.
correct. Ford was only involved after the fact

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'd brake clean the rotors and be done - they are a hunk of iron. For calipers and seals..if they are impervious to brake fluid, oil isn't going to be a problem. Clean them.

If anyone wants to give me some rotors and calipers because they got some oil on them, send me a PM.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I'd brake clean the rotors and be done - they are a hunk of iron. For calipers and seals..if they are impervious to brake fluid, oil isn't going to be a problem. Clean them.

If anyone wants to give me some rotors and calipers because they got some oil on them, send me a PM.
do you track your car regularly?

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
okay everyone seems to be voting for clean the underbelly of the car. What would be the recommended method?

as for the mechanic not getting first crack at the car, I would rather pay myself than let them near my car again.
Simple green diluted with water and a small brush. Agitate everything with that and pressure wash it clean. Works best when you can lift the car in the air of course :)

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My car is a dedicated track that sees a stupid amount of track time. And I agree with @stanglife on this one. A really thorough cleaning would get the job done IMHO. I know I've personally dealt with it that way :)

There's nothing wrong with being overly cautious. Did you get the original parts back?

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I've tracked other cars a bunch but not this one, yet.

PS - I'm not trying to beat you up at all - you gotta do what makes you feel comfortable. It was more a case for trying to get your original parts back, as I feel like there's some value there and it might take the sting out of the expense of a future track day ;)

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Simple green diluted with water and a small brush. Agitate everything with that and pressure wash it clean. Works best when you can lift the car in the air of course :)
Absolutely - dont get overly aggressive with that stuff - It's awesome but if you go full strength, it can/will pit aluminum and can alter painted finishes. 50/50 is usually more than strong enough.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Absolutely - dont get overly aggressive with that stuff - It's awesome but if you go full strength, it can/will pit aluminum and can alter painted finishes. 50/50 is usually more than strong enough.
I don't even go 50%. My mixture is usually about 80-20 or so. Griots also makes an engine cleaner that works well (it's red in a clear bottle).

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
okay everyone seems to be voting for clean the underbelly of the car. What would be the recommended method?
dish soap loaded in the container with a high pressure washer does by far the best job. I use dawn, works like a charm. Then rinse after using the high pressure washer.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
dish soap loaded in the container with a high pressure washer does by far the best job. I use dawn, works like a charm. Then rinse after using the high pressure washer.
Dawn works great, too! I'd keep the paint itself wet and not let any of it get on or sit on the painted surfaces though (especially simple green)
Sponsored