ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Audi Q7 Premium
Just curious OP, did you buy the car new and have had previous oil changes or was this the first? I always mention three things at any oil change even the same dealer I go to every time....10 quarts, 5W-50, and torque da filter. I would consider asking the place that changed the filter for reimbursement only if I mentioned these and they didn't follow through. Would like to but can't always blame someone for not knowing about this specific car, just good insurance to always mention the above.
bought the car used (4,000 miles). This was my first oil change (car now has 6,000 miles). I’m just going to overpay at the dealer from now on because (1) it’ll make me feel better (2) it’s walking distance from my house.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The shop has insurance just for these problems.

One of the shops I worked at one of the guys put the wrong oil filter on a customer car. Insurance paid for the new engine labor and a rental while the car was being repaired.

I would take the reciepts and a written statement from Ford the reason for the failure. You should get reimbursed. Any reputable shop will take care of their mistakes. If they push back a quick letter to the BBB usually gets them motivated.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The shop has insurance just for these problems.

One of the shops I worked at one of the guys put the wrong oil filter on a customer car. Insurance paid for the new engine labor and a rental while the car was being repaired.

I would take the reciepts and a written statement from Ford the reason for the failure. You should get reimbursed. Any reputable shop will take care of their mistakes. If they push back a quick letter to the BBB usually gets them motivated.
yeah you’re right that I should at least try. I’m just not sure I’m emotionally ready to be dealing with this problem again LOL.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I understand you being upset, but crap happens. It's what they do after the fact that would make me upset or not.

I'd at least give them a chance to make it right.

Good luck.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Okay, I have submitted my request for reimbursement to Campbell Ford Performance. Thank you all for the motivation.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hey OP sorry to hear about your experience, total PITA. Workshop will probably baulk because they weren't given the first opportunity to fix it, and 3.6k to replace brakes just because they were covered in oil is IMHO suspect. Agree with a thorough clean and pad replacement but if oil killed metallic brake components calipers would instantly dissolve.

It's probably worth getting the underside cleaned. As stated it makes it easier to spot leaks but also the oil smell will take longer to completely go than you could imagine as the oil will seep it's way into all sorts of nooks and crannies including possibly electrical connectors due to the air eddies under the car. And it's a mess to work on.

Worst of all you might drop oil on a friend's driveway or drop it on track.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
For any of you that attended the Northern California Shelby Club Turkey Bowl event at Laguna Seca the Friday after Thanksgiving you likely remember the GT350 dumping oil and white smoke down the main straight before lunch. That was me.

Thankfully I didn’t actually blow up my engine as folks (including me) originally suspected. Turns out the knuckleheads at my local shop (Campbell Ford Performance) didn’t properly install the oil filter and when I missed a shift in the morning session the oil pressure spike from the over rev blew the gasket on the oil filter apart and oil started spilling. Ford confirmed that while I should stop missing shifts, the gasket should not have blown under the conditions and was installed improperly.

Despite all that, I managed to put on a good show and meet a lot of very concerned fellow drivers. It was a very empathetic and supportive community at the track that day.

At the end of the whole drama, it turned out the car still had a couple quarts of oil in it which prevented the engine from seizing or being damaged. Ford did an oil analysis, compression test, leak down test, etc. They found no knocks or other problems with the motor. So all I really needed was an oil change. Sadly, I did spill 7-8 quarts of oil all over my driver side brakes so I needed to replace my pads and rotors. They did have several track days on them so not the worst thing but they definitely didn’t need to be replaced yet otherwise.

All things included (tow, track cleanup bill, repairs) the whole series of shenanigans wound up being just under $5,000 to set right. Much cheaper than a new voodoo plus I got fresh brakes out of it.

Question for anyone who has knowledge on this sort of thing, I do still have oil splashed all over the bottom of the car and I can smell it when the engine is warmed up. How urgent is it I get this grime off? Ford recommended a steam cleaning but I’m not clear if that’s something I NEED to do or perhaps just an optional suggestion. Thoughts?
This is why I have never trusted anyone to my car for repair work unless it was something I couldn't do or was under warranty period and even then I'm on pins and needles because most of these guys are a bunch of unskilled monkeys with a certificate.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Hey OP sorry to hear about your experience, total PITA. Workshop will probably baulk because they weren't given the first opportunity to fix it, and 3.6k to replace brakes just because they were covered in oil is IMHO suspect. Agree with a thorough clean and pad replacement but if oil killed metallic brake components calipers would instantly dissolve.

It's probably worth getting the underside cleaned. As stated it makes it easier to spot leaks but also the oil smell will take longer to completely go than you could imagine as the oil will seep it's way into all sorts of nooks and crannies including possibly electrical connectors due to the air eddies under the car. And it's a mess to work on.

Worst of all you might drop oil on a friend's driveway or drop it on track.
okay everyone seems to be voting for clean the underbelly of the car. What would be the recommended method?

as for the mechanic not getting first crack at the car, I would rather pay myself than let them near my car again.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
This is why I have never trusted anyone to my car for repair work unless it was something I couldn't do or was under warranty period and even then I'm on pins and needles because most of these guys are a bunch of unskilled monkeys with a certificate.
well when the list of things you can do stops after swapping the track wheels on and emptying the catch can you’re pretty much at the mercy of a shop you can trust.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Understand not letting them near it again and not wanting the hassle of an argument if they baulk.

To do a thorough clean someone will need to get under the car with good access eg hoist and possibly remove heat shields etc. That someone will need to know enough to be careful eg not use a pressure washer and/or degreaser into the gearbox breather and avoid bearings, electrical connectors, sealant etc.

Alternatively put it on quick jacks, grab a crawler and a day or so plus some degreaser/gloves/glasses/shower cap/overalls/rag bags and...have at it. Then a bit more time to clean the garage floor. You'll never have known the underside of your car so well.

It's a job to be avoided IMHO so a reputable car detailer is probably what you need, someone in the Ferrari network might be a good place to start.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Understand not letting them near it again and not wanting the hassle of an argument if they baulk.

To be thorough someone will need to get under the car with good access eg hoist and possibly remove heat shields etc. That someone will need to know enough to be careful eg not use a pressure washer and/or degreaser into the gearbox breather and avoid bearings, electrical connectors, sealant etc. It's a job you probably don't want to do yourself so a reputable car detailer is probably what you need, someone in the Ferrari network might be a good place to start.
good call. I know some folks on the Ferrari side of things that would work. At least I think they would.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Agreed, that shop would be paying the bill, or cleaning out the engine compartment and lower chassis. Question is, do you trust them to do this? Beyond cleaning out any spray around the filter area, the under carriage may just be a car wash with good under carriage system.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Im glad the OP is ok and the engine isn't ruined. Please allow me to throw my .02 of a dollar out there. Either change the oil yourself and make sure everything is 100% or use a Ford dealership if you don't turn your own wrenches. This way, you can blame the dealership or yourself. In this case, you took the responsibility of someone else..... which in my opinion is wrong.

I, in now way, recommend you get your oil changes from a ford dealership. But when something goes wrong, there is someone with deep pockets to take care of their mistake. In this case, you paid the bill. That's crap.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I would say you'd need to take it all the way to court if you wanted to make that a true statement. I have better ways to spend my time. Much rather be back behind the wheel than in a room arguing who needs to pay the bill.
Didn’t you say Ford concluded that the oil change was foul and the cause?

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Didn’t you say Ford concluded that the oil change was foul and the cause?
yes, that was what they told me over the phone. No telling what they’d be willing to put in writing. If I were the shop I’d blame it all on the over rev / missed shift / driver.
Sponsored