Sponsored

The Big Fat Track Car Cooling Thread

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Actually read all 17 pages so far...wish I hadn't. Now I'll need a Mishimoto rad, diff cooler, CF hood, and buncha other things :shrug:

First event went well with just the safety and suspension mods complete. Car did fine but my test track is Gateway International
I think I've seen your car at Gateway before. I used to run a white VW GTI.
Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I think I've seen your car at Gateway before. I used to run a white VW GTI.
If it was a white GT with a cage it was me. So far not to many S550 running around at Gateway. There is a good sized group of maybe 25 guys that track in St. Louis but most avoid Gateway. If you are planning to do any track dates this year I can add you to our informal email list so you can see what dates and tracks the group of guys are planning. Right now there is a lot of talk about next year but no one has set a schedule. If your interested PM me your email and contact info and I will get you on the email list.

Look at MVP TrackTime, 10/10ths Motorsports, Rezoom Motorsports and Just Track It to see most of the mid-west track dates around. I think the SCCA PDX events at Gateway will be your best bet for getting some local track time.

Dave

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If it was a white GT with a cage it was me. So far not to many S550 running around at Gateway. There is a good sized group of maybe 25 guys that track in St. Louis but most avoid Gateway. If you are planning to do any track dates this year I can add you to our informal email list so you can see what dates and tracks the group of guys are planning. Right now there is a lot of talk about next year but no one has set a schedule. If your interested PM me your email and contact info and I will get you on the email list.

Look at MVP TrackTime, 10/10ths Motorsports, Rezoom Motorsports and Just Track It to see most of the mid-west track dates around. I think the SCCA PDX events at Gateway will be your best bet for getting some local track time.

Dave
I was there in October for the last event of the year with Mustang (first time with mustang), but weather sucked - it was raining all day. I've been registering through Motorsportreg, but I'll send you a PM with my info.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Actually read all 17 pages so far...wish I hadn't. Now I'll need a Mishimoto rad, diff cooler, CF hood, and buncha other things :shrug:
Don't forget the B302S radiator. I know it'll stuff in there;)

Otherwise I'm looking to just do an oil cooler, likely the Mishimoto kit, trin the stock hood, and am patiently waiting on Steeda's diff cooler solution.

Worst case scenario I'll run a GT350 rear diffuser/ pan and build a copy of their diff cooler.

I probably feel like you, overwhelmed with the desire to buy all this awesome stuff, lol. I took a hiatus and did drag racing for awhile and things seemed much more simple, and cheaper!:lol:

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Our axle cooler is holding up well after the first session at Daytona, tomorrow I'll remember to bring my temp gun to see how hot it gets :frusty:
Good to hear. Don't forget that helmet! :D

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Our axle cooler is holding up well after the first session at Daytona, tomorrow I'll remember to bring my temp gun to see how hot it gets :frusty:

Nice to see that placement, it was on my mind as a possibility. The other was a long, thin, double-pass exchanger, like a power steering cooler, tucked between a rear pan and the GT diffuser with air directed through it or in a 350 diffuser. Probably won't mess with it until later this winter or early spring. If there's an inexpensive bolt in solution before then I may just go with that.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
So I ran two sessions in the morning today. I shot the diff cover with my temp gun coming off the track. I hit 150MPH+ at the start finish line and 140-145MPH on the back stretch. 30 minute session and the highest I could register was 181F. I'll install a real gauge before my next track day, but in my experience my temp gun is usually >5F from a temp sensor reading. My fan never comes on because I think with the BG 75W-140, the cooler and the extra capacity it stays in a good range. This cooling loop added roughly a quart to the system. The fan switch is 190F.

With the speeds I'm running it should be getting hot, 3.73's on 285/35's is spinning the pinion real fast. I have to shift to 6th for both of these runs. I plan to address the needed 500-700 RPM soon so I can stay in 5th. All runs are in Sport Mode.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Setup looks really tidy and clean Tim. More importantly, glad to hear it is working well so far.
Brent, I spent some time with Dean today and I looked in the trunk and saw my exact cooler set up on his S197 race car... #GreatMindsThinkAlike LOL

Sponsored
OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Very cool! Looks like the Army is sending me back to the Southeast this summer(I think around the Savannah area) so we'll have to get together at Roebling, Sebring, Daytona, or the FIRM soon.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Can anyone recommend a decent sandwich plate for my oil filter to run my own oil cooler setup? Ideally anodised aluminium and thermostatic.

Thanks!

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP