breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm still having issues trying to find all the parts. There's no way I'm paying $2400 from 4dtech or infotainment lol :|
What parts are you having issues finding?
Sponsored

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Not really. It depends on your priorities. I'm old, and time is priority for me, so I paid the price to 4D and have been enjoying a flawless system for over a year. I got it just in time for a 4 day Mustang group trip (which I am getting ready to repeat this week). The hardest part of the install was taking the dash apart (which they have video for). Hextall DOES provide an excellent service for those who don't mind waiting and like the diy approach. I diy on plenty of other projects for the same reasons.

I only say this for those who may wonder about the quality of the 4D system. It really is plug and play. I have even since updated the software from another source...but that needs to be done carefully. I am leaving well enough alone at this point. But, I love CarPlay, and this system does it perfectly.
I think it's important to remember why this thread was started... It wasn't about harnesses. It was about educating people so that those who weren't "in the know" in the early days of FORScan and MFT swaps were able to avoid paying the ridiculous prices that were/are being asked by OEMRadio and 4D Tech. It's always been about DIY for an affordable price.

Is there a Thread for that swap? I can't find it.
There is no thread, you can't do just the switches

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
I think it's important to remember why this thread was started... It wasn't about harnesses. It was about educating people so that those who weren't "in the know" in the early days of FORScan and MFT swaps were able to avoid paying the ridiculous prices that were/are being asked by OEMRadio and 4D Tech. It's always been about DIY for an affordable price.
I don't dispute that. But I searched everything I could find re upgrading to sync 3, including this thread. In the end it helped me make an informed decision to spend the extra money so I could get up to speed sooner. Reading all the issues about finding parts, etc. helped me make that choice. Information is good. Not trying to dissuade anyone from anything. In my Jeep, for instance, I did remove the stock stereo system and wired in an Alpine wifi CarPlay system. Actually ended up doing it twice...starting with a Sony unit that didn't work out. So I am definitely not against DIY. That project really woke up my rusty soldering skills. lol.

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500

There is no thread, you can't do just the switches
How about everything associated with the switches with ForScan and the asbuilt?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The switches are tied in to the Sync 3 upgrade (or MFT/Sync 2 if you want to go that route instead). Switches alone are not a swap. The Tesla unit has the switches and some wonkiness for the drive modes (related to the AC).

For Forscan, there are a ton of other options and a few detailed threads out there, but it isn't tied to the switches.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Can you clarify what it is you are attempting? A Sync 3 swap? Or just the switches? Sync 3 swap is the only way to get the toggles.

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Ideally I'd like an Aftermarket Radio (Not the Tesla) and the Toggles with drive modes.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Ideally I'd like an Aftermarket Radio (Not the Tesla) and the Toggles with drive modes.
I'll be honest with you, I competed for 10 years in car audio competition from 1996-2005 and I can tell you that when I measured this stock Ford stuff it beat the shit out out a late model Pioneer AVIC. Those test were done with a $60K lab calibrated o-scope. There was no room for error in our testing.

asci01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th Anniversary & 50 LE
If I'm not mistaken you cant add just the chrome switches with the base radio.
Yes you can add the bezel with the chrome switches. You can even add functionality to the new fourth switch which base model bezels don’t have and change the behavior of the hazard switch through programming. It’s on the coding matrix and on this forum which lines and coding would need to be changed

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yes you can add the bezel with the chrome switches. You can even add functionality to the new fourth switch which base model bezels don’t have and change the behavior of the hazard switch through programming. It’s on the coding matrix and on this forum which lines and coding would need to be changed
He was asking about the switches only. Sam is referring to that. Not whether or not you can swap bezels.

Sponsored

asci01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th Anniversary & 50 LE
I figure $174.99 for a hand built harness with better components vs. $299.99 (+$50 if you want your camera to work) made from Chinese connectors and weak terminals is a pretty good deal. But it’s not as easy as people seem to think. It took almost a year for things to come together. The problem with the current supply is 100% Tycos fault and they are helping as best they can.
Tyco is the oem manufacturer of the terminals. Hextall is doing a great service by putting this together and helping out other fellow mustang owners do this swap

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
My harness uses Sumitomo wiring and heat shrink (OE in Honda and many Fords) Tyco connectors and terminals and a JST connector and terminals. The custom connectors are exclusive to me ( I paid the mold fee) so that I can use Tyco pins in them, these are of a higher quality and because I use an actual Tyco crimp and die in my crimper, this allows the harness to pass an OE stress test AND avoids the possibility of wires oxidizing over time. I hand build them.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Just an FYI, if you aren’t a contributing member of this board I’m not giving you a discounted price on my harness. I did this for the guys who are here contributing like @Spart @zackmd1 @Blade007 and @RedfireV8. If you were directed here by a Google search or a third party you can find them on eBay in a month or so for full price.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
My harness uses Sumitomo wiring and heat shrink (OE in Honda and many Fords) Tyco connectors and terminals and a JST connector and terminals. The custom connectors are exclusive to me ( I paid the mold fee) so that I can use Tyco pins in them, these are of a higher quality and because I use an actual Tyco crimp and die in my crimper, this allows the harness to pass an OE stress test AND avoids the possibility of wires oxidizing over time. I hand build them.
Ain't no kill like overkill! Glad we have you around for an OEM quality option.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I'll be honest with you, I competed for 10 years in car audio competition from 1996-2005 and I can tell you that when I measured this stock Ford stuff it beat the shit out out a late model Pioneer AVIC. Those test were done with a $60K lab calibrated o-scope. There was no room for error in our testing.
To elaborate on this - you can configure Ford's ACM (by modifying the as-built with FORScan) to put out a 4V signal for aftermarket amps. And it's a pretty clean signal.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.